GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SPX charger was $500 plus $500 for a non-spx affiliated electrican to install the sub-panel and charger. No issues.

http://youtu.be/cytL4UthasQ

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Did you corner,the market on fertilizer? Pellets for stove? Mortar? Flour? Popcorn?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you corner,the market on fertilizer? Pellets for stove? Mortar? Flour? Popcorn?
Those are wood pellets for the pellet stove. My solar home isn't as good as yours as I only make an annual surplus of 6,000 EV miles after powering the home.... or 1,400+ KWH.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Those are wood pellets for the pellet stove. My solar home isn't as good as yours as I only make an annual surplus of 6,000 EV miles after powering the home.... or 1,400+ KWH.
Yeah I am fortunate, I don't need to heat much, heat pumps are more than adequate for the occasional morning chill. Even the gas fireplace gets some usage.

Edit. Just remember your not pulling 125 kWh a day in august either, while only generating 75 kWh.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would like to investigate the possibilty of added solar power for my Volt. What would be the minimum requirements to charge the Volt say in 4 hours? What would be the approx. cost? Just for the Volt, at least to start. 0 knowledge at this point.
Anybody?

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you do not want to pay your utility for the energy you need to drive your Volt, you need to generate approximately 35kWh per 100 miles driven. If you do, say, 15k miles per year, you need 150 x 35kWh = 5250 kWh average annual generation capacity.

If you're on Long Island, you get about 4h of solar hours on average. Using the 5250 kWh pa number, you want to generate a little under 15kWh per day, and to do that in 4h you need 3.5-4 kW capacity. One watt of solar power costs you by rule of thumb about $5.

So you're up for about $20k. Prior to federal and state rebates. Assuming you would pay $15k out of pocket, you need to generate about 100MWh to break even, assuming retail electricity stays at $0.15 per kWh. 15 or 20 years - sometimes people calculate it to be 10-12 but you are in the _North_ east :)

All extremely rough calculations but it gives you an idea.

By the way, you'd generate more in the summer, and only during the day in any case, so you'd "sell" to the utility and "buy it back" when you plug your car in.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I would like to investigate the possibilty of added solar power for my Volt. What would be the minimum requirements to charge the Volt say in 4 hours? What would be the approx. cost? Just for the Volt, at least to start. 0 knowledge at this point.
Anybody?
In addition you need to know if any local utility support is avaialble. What the net metering plan will do to your bill. If you have Time of Use plans available, which generally allow for cheaper off peak electric while maximizing you solar generation value during peak generation times. By load shifting to those off peak hours much can be saved.

Generally conservation is much cheaper than solar, you can reduce your electric bill greatly by using CFLs, adding insulation to reduce AC/heating costs, look at solar thermal to replace electric hot water, etc. If after that your still interested then start looking for solar installers and get some quotes having them figure your Return on investment.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anybody?
Bert is right about a 4KW system would cover the car annually depending on your shading issues etc... You get the most bang for your buck by powering down first and foremost. I made a bunch of videos to show people what I did to powerdown before I got solar and attached one of them here. Best of luck.
http://youtu.be/PUCl1TruUfo

MrEnergyCzar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts