GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out the correct codec the 2016 infotainment can play? I have tried a few files and it seems any hd files dont work at all, and most dvd rips work fine but no audio. other files work just fine audio and all.....

Also, im going to try plugging in an external dvd player and hopefully it will play dvd's. worth a shot right?

anyway, if anyone has figured out the proper encoding for files, let me know! Would like to watch some movies when im waiting for clients to show up...

ps. there is no video input correct? an hdmi in would be amazzzzzingggg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, in VLC under media info this is what I got.
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC
Resolution: 1280 x 546
Audio code: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)

I've been trying to get the resolution specs of the info screen for the 2016. Not really sure when I play the clip it's getting cropped or not, or if it distorts it / fits the file to screen.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Has anyone figured out the correct codec the 2016 infotainment can play? I have tried a few files and it seems any hd files dont work at all, and most dvd rips work fine but no audio. other files work just fine audio and all.....

Also, im going to try plugging in an external dvd player and hopefully it will play dvd's. worth a shot right?
Well, in VLC under media info this is what I got.
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC
Resolution: 1280 x 546
Audio code: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)

I've been trying to get the resolution specs of the info screen for the 2016. Not really sure when I play the clip it's getting cropped or not, or if it distorts it / fits the file to screen.
Yep, I haven't been able to find that in the generic infotainment manual they provide on the volt webpage but I can play a handful mp4 videos similar to what jonros mentions above. It was more for testing out but I wasn't looking for much more cause I typically don't sit in the car for long periods of time. I tried a few youtube music videos and movie trailers using "Youtube downloader." They are HD and look amazing combined with the Bose speakers. It's pretty awesome.

I'm not near my volt but I'll try to pull the video codec, resolution, audio codec, etc when I get back home in a few days.

Just to let you know, I tried plugging in an external PC DVD player at the request of a forum member and it was a no go (as I figured). So if yours doesn't work don't be disappointed.
Also, DVD's are typically a variety of VOB files that need a structure file for them to play on a dvd player. For you to get movies, you'll need a some software to rip those encrypted files into one standalone file that the infotainment system will understand.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
...DVD's are typically a variety of VOB files that need a structure file for them to play on a dvd player. For you to get movies, you'll need a some software to rip those encrypted files into one standalone file that the infotainment system will understand.
Or, you could play the videos on your phone and connect it to the car via CarPlay or (soon) Android Auto.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Apple Carplay does NOT support video playback.
Really? That's too bad. Is it a limitation on the Volt or is it an issue with the phone app or protocol? Anyone know whether Android Auto supports video playback? It's not something I'm likely to need but I'm a bit curious.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't believe android auto or apple carplay as a platform supports video playback - less distracting to driver. Was hoping mirrorlink would allow that functionality on android phones ... =/

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It's clear Apple are going slowly on what is or isn't allowable on the front dash. Videos and game apps are definitely not approved at this time.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Really? That's too bad. Is it a limitation on the Volt or is it an issue with the phone app or protocol? Anyone know whether Android Auto supports video playback? It's not something I'm likely to need but I'm a bit curious.
I'd be surprised if CarPlay or AA ever did play videos. As mentioned before, it doesn't want to create distractions for drivers.

On my Volt with videos played thru the USB thumbdrive, it will play the video just fine as described in my earlier post but as soon as the car is shifted into gear the display turns black and the audio continues without missing a beat.

So if CarPlay and AA would need to provide the same type of protection then that would be more work for them. I'm not sure they have that at the top of the list of things to provide consumers in my opinion but that's pure speculation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks

Try this:

Screen width: 800
Screen height: 480
Screen fps: 30

Video codec: H264
Audio codec: AAC 48kHz
I fully expect it to be blocked while the car is in motion but this is awesome information. Thanks.

I'm about to encode something with HandBreak. Can you provide any other information that might be necessary. Is it 30 fps constant or peak? Is there a specific encoder profile (high / main / baseline) to use or a maximum bit rate? I'll post my HandBrake settings if it works for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It worked. I don't think it is too picky on screen resolution or encoding. I had a couple files on the USB stick and they all just worked.

When I got the car I didn't think video worked because none of my music videos played when I tried them but I should have realized that most of those have DRM or they are old formats.

Thanks darrin. Just one more thing I can show off or use when I'm simply waiting in the car.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
On my Volt with videos played thru the USB thumbdrive, it will play the video just fine as described in my earlier post but as soon as the car is shifted into gear the display turns black and the audio continues without missing a beat.

So if CarPlay and AA would need to provide the same type of protection then that would be more work for them. I'm not sure they have that at the top of the list of things to provide consumers in my opinion but that's pure speculation.
Ahh, of course. The car knows when it's safe but the phone doesn't. And the car can't just turn off the display from the phone when it's in gear because you might be using it for something like navigation. That makes sense, thanks.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I just put 5 small videos on a 8GB thumb drive and they all worked. They ranged in size from 720x360 up to 1280x720, H.264, 29.97fps, and up to 5.12Mbit/s.

[edit]

btw, they looked really good, and formatted automatically. No dropped frames that I could tell, and as someone else noted, as soon as you put the car out of Park, the video goes dark, but the audio continues, seamlessly, and as soon as you stop somewhere and put it into Park, the video comes back. Real smooth.
IMG_2806.jpg

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I just put 5 small videos on a 8GB thumb drive and they all worked. They ranged in size from 720x360 up to 1280x720, H.264, 29.97fps, and up to 5.12Mbit/s.

[edit]

btw, they looked really good, and formatted automatically. No dropped frames that I could tell, and as someone else noted, as soon as you put the car out of Park, the video goes dark, but the audio continues, seamlessly, and as soon as you stop somewhere and put it into Park, the video comes back. Real smooth.
Beats playing DVDs like the Gen 1... *grin*

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know the native resolution of the Volt's display? It'll be most efficient to use the display's native resolution when encoding files.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This works. I don’t care about YouTube but it now plays local movies.
I have a bunch of movies on my phone mp4 format. Now I can finally play them in my car on the screen.
We wait at track meets for hours for one event this well be great to watch a movie while we wait.
This video shows you how. I just wish I could get to my SD card I have a 200 Gig card with movies on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAd6inLslqg&feature=youtu.be

I was playing them on my 2018 Volt
(I will not be playing movies while driving if that even works)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try this:

Screen width: 800
Screen height: 480
Screen fps: 30

Video codec: H264
Audio codec: AAC 48kHz
I would go with 1280x720 (standard 720p), since it's most likely what the screen - or the LCD controller - uses for native it's resolution; I base this on previous posts, and the fact the screen just LOOKS much better than 800x480. It's a higher res, and even if the screen ISN'T full 720p, every other headunit I've tried this on downscales fine (to the point allowed by the hardware's capability/power). Unless you're ripping a DVD/other SD source, then you might as well go with the lower-res/smaller file size anyway.

TL;DR: 800x480 (or 640x480) is fine for DVD/SD sources, but for HD, use 1280x720 and allow your program to crop the letterboxed areas.

I'm about to encode something with HandBreak. Can you provide any other information that might be necessary. Is it 30 fps constant or peak? Is there a specific encoder profile (high / main / baseline) to use or a maximum bit rate? I'll post my HandBrake settings if it works for me.
I try not to go over 2000-2500kbps; baseline or main since high is often incompatible (I haven't tried yet, but will be as soon as I get my car back); I always go 30 or 60fps, I'd think here 30fps would be fine and save a lot of space.

I do (amongst other tech-stuff) LOTS of video codec work professionally for clients, preparing videos they've recorded for various-quality streaming, DVD, Blu-ray, mobile, and playback on devices of all kinds. If you'd like, I can post my Handbrake preset for the 2nd gen Volt (good call on Handbrake, btw, it's our favorite free conversion utility), and include instructions too, if anybody thinks they'd use it?

EDIT: Holy thread revival! I'll deff make sure to post that preset, sorry about bringing this back from the dead, I didn't read the year (plus I don't see anything regarding the 2nd gen, which is what I've got).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts