GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Unfortunately, this could happen anywhere, not just gas stations. Plus I still need to filll up my volt gas tank almost once a week. Luckily I live in a town where crime like this is unheard of (people leave their vehicles running with the keys in them at grocery stores, houses are left unlocked, and people trust each other).

So maybe the trick is to fill up during the day when there are lots of people around and not at night when things are dark and troublemakers are out and about. The other option is to not live in DC or other big metropolitan area where crime is high.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Eventually, there will be a robbery at a charging station too. What then? ;-)
http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-hijacked-gunpoint-suspects-now-custody/

"officers from the Barstow Police Department arrived at the electric vehicle charging station behind the restaurant around 11:54 p.m. Jan. 21 after a 911 call from the victim, who reported that he was robbed at gunpoint by two men at the charging station.”

“The victim reported that the suspects approached him while he was charging his vehicle and that one of the suspects pointed a handgun at him and forced him out of his car. The victim reported that the suspects robbed him of his personal jewelry, credit cards and other property. The suspects also stole the victim’s 2014 Tesla — a high-end electric car — and drove off in it. The victim ran from the area to a local business and called 911."

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-hijacked-gunpoint-suspects-now-custody/

"officers from the Barstow Police Department arrived at the electric vehicle charging station behind the restaurant around 11:54 p.m. Jan. 21 after a 911 call from the victim, who reported that he was robbed at gunpoint by two men at the charging station.”

“The victim reported that the suspects approached him while he was charging his vehicle and that one of the suspects pointed a handgun at him and forced him out of his car. The victim reported that the suspects robbed him of his personal jewelry, credit cards and other property. The suspects also stole the victim’s 2014 Tesla — a high-end electric car — and drove off in it. The victim ran from the area to a local business and called 911."
Charge at home whenever possible.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Wow, I respect the guy for going after his backpack, but I would have handled that very differently. There were so many ways that could have gone horribly wrong.
I would have handled it differently, that car would not have been drivable and that guy may well be dead.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Wow, just saw the actual video. What the hell was in that backpack? Certainly not sweaty gym socks!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I would have handled it differently, that car would not have been drivable and that guy may well be dead.

I don't believe I could ever kill a person over a pack back. Why not simply follow the car (or at least try to get the license plate #) with a simple call to OnStar or 911? The whole situation was very bizarre. You have to wonder though...what was in that back pack? A child? Drugs? A pack of gum?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't believe I could ever kill a person over a pack back. Why not simply follow the car (or at least try to get the license plate #) with a simple call to OnStar or 911? The whole situation was very bizarre. You have to wonder though...what was in that back pack? A child? Drugs? A pack of gum?
If somebody is stealing something/endangering my family I'm not gonna go cry in the corner. Obviously the criminal isn't a contributing member of society so oh well.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Eventually, there will be a robbery at a charging station too. What then? ;-)
Well you could just stay home, never venture out, build a fortress so criminals can't get in, order delivery, mail order everything else from Amazon, etc. But at that point, you wouldn't need a charging station at all as you wouldn't need a car.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The real problem is that it was in D.C., one of the few places in the USA where you aren't allowed to defend yourself.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
One of the best articles on situational awareness I've read: http://www.itstactical.com/intellicom/mindset/3-effective-techniques-to-train-your-situational-awareness-and-recognize-change/

I do this by instinct, particularly when I'm out with the wife. I always have her six.

The real problem is that it was in D.C., one of the few places in the USA where you aren't allowed to defend yourself.
Radically different baseline there. I could take you a few places in Chicago that are no different.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Radically different baseline there. I could take you a few places in Chicago that are no different.
I choose to never go to those places in Chicago, but that doesn't criminals from hitting in relatively safe places like Woodfield Mall and Water Tower Place. Two separate events at those two places helped the decision to move to downstate IL. In the incident in front of Water Tower Place, there was a busy crowd and as a man was trying to steal a woman's purse, she make a huge stink, and I was amazed how yeh crowd parted as nobody wanted to help or accost the thief. Had I not been carrying my 2 year old, I would have jumped in.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I choose to never go to those places in Chicago, but that doesn't criminals from hitting in relatively safe places like Woodfield Mall and Water Tower Place.
Or Fox Valley Mall here in Aurora last December. Anything can happen anywhere, which is why normalcy bias is your first enemy.

And what you thought was safe a few years ago might not be now. There was a time when Evanston was pretty safe (college town and all that) but now there are shots fired reports every month - perhaps every week, I'm not sure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts