GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello - I have a 17' Volt Premier with about 50,000 km on it. Fantastic trouble free car so far till this issue!

Last year when coming off the freeway, using the regen paddle to slow, I could feel a shimmy/vibration seeming to come from the right front of the vehicle. It felt like a warped rotor. I couldn't reliably reproduce it and summed it up to one of my winter rims had a bad ding in it. Fast forward to this year and the problem started appearing more and more often and now with summer tires and the factory aluminium rims. I rotated the tires to be sure, vibration is still there. I checked the rotors/pads, there was some wear and pitting but looked straight. I took it to my local dealer (Oregans Halifax) to have it checked, they billed me 140 dollars + tax to tell me the rotors were bad. I explained the issue occurred under regen, not the brakes.

The service manager advised that the brakes are used when the regen paddle is deployed - sound true? I couldn't find anything online to back that. I took the vehicle home and replaced all pads/rotors, cleaned sliders up on all 4 corners. Shimmy is still there! Called the service manager back, he said he wouldn't refund any money on the wrong diagnosis. I wasn't taking the car back to them as he wouldn't refund me even if they found the issue! Eventually after arguing with him he promised to refund half of it, but I haven't seen a dime of it yet.

I'm taking the car to another dealer now to have this checked. I can now say it isn't a brake issue as if I put the shifter into neutral the vibration isn't there with just the brakes to stop the car. Vibration is there with the shifter in Drive with braking, the regen paddle pressed or when in low. Seems to get worse the more the vehicle is slowed with regeneration. I'm thinking there is an axle or output bearing issue. Almost feels like something rotating is getting off center under regen. I can feel it sometimes after the regen is disengaged and fades as acceleration is applied.

Anyone here ever experience this type of issue? What about a dealer that doesn't understand our cars? ;-) I live in an area where EVs are pretty sparse until recently and very few Volts are around. I will be sure to update this thread if I find a dealer that can fix it! TIA!

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
That service manager has no clue what he's talking about. Contact the dealership general manager to get your money back on a service that not only wasn't needed but didn't fix your car. This will be a power train or Voltec warranty repair, both of which are still in effect for your car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts