GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My12 has around 83k, starting notice this summer when was hot but now it's oposite, cold and same thing happening.
My routine is drive 8km, use around 1.4-1.9 depending on the weather, make a short stop, then go back 8km where I loose 1 bar and 1kwh in first 3-500meters. People around here say it's the mentenance of the battery but I don't remind this until this year. So sometimes a have let's say 3,5kwh used but 5 green bars out of 10 depleted. I attached some images, after using OBD and Mygreenvolt app.

Very Important : Next day, when I start the car usualy it will show me 1 green bar more, like in should be.
If someone else experience this or have a explination, please reply because I'm starting to think that my battery start to degradate or my guessometer is f..cked up. In images you will see 3.9kwh used, 5 bars lost and SOC 51.7%. First image is after 8km(SOC-81.8%) second, after another 8km and the third one, with 5 bars depleted on dashboard.

P.S After full deplete the battery than fully charge, sometimes I get 10.2kwh used sometimes I get 9.5. Lowest in winter was as I remember around 8.7kwh used.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The battery capacity can change with temperature for chemical reasons. The Kwh meter is not exactly accurate either even though it looks to be most of the time. When it is cold out and the battery is providing heat, it appears to skew the Kwh information, especially on short trips like 8kms.

My 2013 over the years has had similar Kwh usage variations and my daily commute is between 8 and 9 kms depending on which way I go.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Yes GOM not accurate in short trips. I go 9 or 10 Km. into town (rolling road, 80 kph, finish point higher than starting) and the GOM will read only 1 or 2 Km. lower than when I started. After a few on and off cycles of going here and there, shopping errands etc. it comes back down to where it should and at the end show the 25 to 36 km. that it should depending on number of errands. At the start it looks like I have 250 miles of EV range. :p

As far a temps, it is reasonable to expect less output in colder weather (aside from range) although I haven't paid that much attention to that aspect.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The mygreenvolt app shows both "% of full charge" readings and raw SOC readings. Your first photo, for example, shows: SOC 81.8% (75.3%). The number on the right, 75.3%, is your battery’s raw SOC reading. The 81.8% is mygreenvolt’s representation of the percentage of remaining usable power (which should depend on the mygreenvolt setting you selected for battery size).

The Gen 1 Volt has a 65% usable SOC window. Because you are already using the mygreenvolt app, I suggest you check your "full charge" SOC reading and the SOC reading when the car switches to gas. The difference in readings should be ~65% if things are operating normally.

The full charge SOC of the 2012 Volt I’ve been driving for 7.5+ years has been ~86/87% this week. I rarely drive beyond battery range. When I have in the past, the reading has been ~21/22% SOC, i.e., I seem to be getting my 65% window.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that Guessometer thing, not accurate, but I don't remember having this issue when I first purchase the car. Look on Images IMG_3829.jpg IMG_3830.jpg IMG_3831.jpg
First image is after 15min stop, then it starts to drain 1kwh in like 1km...:mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts