GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
There's been a lot of discussion about Bolt sales being made at the expense of Volt sales. Having said this, a wonder what the over-all nation-wide inventory of Volts is at this point in time.

Here in the Chicago area, it's pretty hard to find any Volts at all in dealer inventory. If you do, they are generally LT models and not Premiers. My guess is that there are currently less than 10 in the whole Chicago area right now.

Nation-wide in December 2017 Volt sales numbers were 1,937. There was talk late summer of 2017 that inventories were high and production was to shut down. Looks to me that inventories are now fairly low except for wet coast and northeast dealers. Is production for 2018 Volts supposed to ramp up in early 2018? In short, sales number will be low if dealer inventory is low.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Here in the Chicago area, it's pretty hard to find any Volts at all in dealer inventory. If you do, they are generally LT models and not Premiers. My guess is that there are currently less than 10 in the whole Chicago area right now.
Don't count on Chicago for a sample. With all the apartment/condo dwelling it's hardly EV charging friendly. Come on out west a bit to the burbs and you'll find Volts and Bolts. My dealer has 7 Bolts and 5 Volts on the lot. I'd say by these numbers that Volt may be selling better (Volt inventory is lower, plus they sell a fair amount of used Volts).

Bolts

Volts

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
663 Posts
I did a check on inventory back home in Toronto as well as our local Autonation inventory down here in Florida via the GM website.
In Florida there are 4 Volts in stock but back in Toronto there were no Volts with 250 km of Toronto showing. My local dealer there says that whatever they are allocated gets sold before delivery. Not surprising since Volt sales in Canada are much higher per capital than in the US.

·
Registered
5 Posts
GM shut down the Volt factory due to excess supply in November of last year since they had 102 days of supply. I think there were around 5-6k 2017-2018 Volts in dealer lots at that time. Cars.com shows 3,636 2017-2018’s for sale and AutoTrader shows 2,282. So let’s average the two and say there is @3k cars still on the lots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Cars.com lists 3703 total inventory. It's not the most accurate, as sometimes there are used listed as new, or a VIN from some other model. But at least it's one datapoint.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
On cars.com, there are currently only 41 Volts available in Colorado. Closest to me are over 20 miles! Looks like they could sell a few if there was inventory. Closest dealer(1 mile) has none now, after selling out at the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I had to drive 240 miles to buy my Premier. Not much local and what there was was LT's.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't count on Chicago for a sample. With all the apartment/condo dwelling it's hardly EV charging friendly. Come on out west a bit to the burbs and you'll find Volts and Bolts. My dealer has 7 Bolts and 5 Volts on the lot. I'd say by these numbers that Volt may be selling better (Volt inventory is lower, plus they sell a fair amount of used Volts).

Bolts

Volts
Through 2016 and early 2017 Phillips in Frankfort, Castle in Villa Park and Advantage in Countryside used to stock anywhere between 8 and 10 Volts per dealership. Currently all three have zero. The Chicago (in city limit) dealers always had low inventory like 1 or 2. Most have 0 and one has 1. The Naperville dealer is an anomaly.

Point is the sale numbers are down because the over-all inventory is down vs. Bolts. You can't buy the car if it's not being offered.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Through 2016 and early 2017 Phillips in Frankfort, Castle in Villa Park and Advantage in Countryside used to stock anywhere between 8 and 10 Volts per dealership. Currently all three have zero. The Chicago (in city limit) dealers always had low inventory like 1 or 2. Most have 0 and one has 1. The Naperville dealer is an anomaly.

Point is the sale numbers are down because the over-all inventory is down vs. Bolts. You can't buy the car if it's not being offered.
Seems you've made up your mind then.....

I'll invest another 30 seconds into the subject.

3 LT Bolts

2 Premier Volts

If anyone in the area who's looking for a Volt or Bolt is reading this, they now know where a couple of anomalies might be found.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here in Portland OR, Volt inventory is way down. I was looking in December in case the federal tax credit was going to disappear and I just checked again recently. One dealer had 8 cars in December has 0 now. There are only 4 Premier models in the entire Portland area according to chevy.com. And only 20 Volts total. That is spread out across 7 dealers in the area.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
While anecdotal, my experience buying a new Volt in my area in 2014 vs. buying a new Volt in 2017 was dramatically different, despite shopping around at the same dealerships each time. These dealers simply stocked more Volts in 2014.

In 2017 they offered less Volts in terms of colors/combinations, etc. They were also WAY less willing to deal. Of course, the "new kid on the block" was the Bolt, and my local dealers were stocking more Bolts/less Volts (including prominently displaying them, having "open houses" to test drive the Bolt, etc.). In 2013 those same dealers who would have stocked 10 Volts each but in 2017 were now stocking 7 Bolts and 3 Volts. Instead of increasing the overall "EV allocation" in their local inventory, the dealerships chose to keep the same numerical allocations and just change the percentages to favor the Bolt.

Again, just an impression from about 4 months of shopping in 2017 vs. 2014.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I was at my dealer in Guelph ON (Barry Cullen) a few days ago, they have at least 10 Volts on the lot, the Kitchener dealer (Scherer) has 6 Volts on the lot. Maybe that search tool is not working correctly

·
Registered
205 Posts
I let my dealer bring it to me. My car came from the other side of lake Michigan.
I had a deal with a local dealer for the car I wanted. They located it and both agreed on transferring it but two different dealers they could never get them to finish the transfer.
I sold my 2013 volt and needed a car so at that point I could not wait for them to find another one.
I saved about $1,500 by getting a better deal with the dealer that had my car in stock.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
My local dealer usually has "several" Volts available with nice discounts and suddenly he has NONE, in fact he had ten Bolt's and just after the holidays sold nine of them and now has only ONE on his lot.

Seems odd, is GM slowing productions/sales based on some secret plan? Could the pending reduction of the federal tax credit be influencing this?

·
Registered
13,842 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
13,842 Posts
Hey, would that satisfy your desire for a subyukonade? :D
Too much cargo, not enough passenger space. I'm seriously all excited about the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, though maybe after a few days the excitement will wear off (like it did for my Model 3 reservation, which I cancelled a few weeks after the reveal). It doesn't have the towing capacity I need, but it fits everything else (people/cargo hauler without range anxiety, other than self-imposed like Ari_C).

1 - 20 of 65 Posts