GM Volt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Want the site fixed? Call 1-416-341-8950 VerticalScope. Number 3 for Automotive, number 1 for the forum.
VerticalScope Inc.
111 Peter Street, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5V 2H1
T. 1-416-341-8950

Give them a call.

If everyone who has complained calls them, maybe someone will make the fix a higher priority.

One call done. 199 to go?

https://jalopnik.com/two-more-high-ranking-tesla-employees-are-out-following-1822167282

The senior director for manufacturing engineering and the senior manager for equipment engineering both left the company earlier this month. Model 3 production woes is the likely culprit.

Let's see if Tesla can top the number of senior execs axed in 2017! :p

·
Registered
358 Posts
“As we continue to focus on quality and efficiency rather than simply pushing for the highest possible volume in the shortest period of time, we expect to have a slightly more gradual ramp through Q1, likely ending the quarter at a weekly rate of about 2,500 Model 3 vehicles,” Tesla wrote in a letter to investors. “We intend to achieve the 5,000 per week milestone by the end of Q2.”

I agree with this statement. The key is pushing out QUALITY Model 3's, not just hitting a big number sold. Last thing they need is poor quality which will send reservations running on top of the added cost to fix issues after the fact. IF the quality is there, the Model 3 will be on my list of cars I'd choose over the Bolt Bro :)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Why didn't Tesla make their cars nuclear powered? The half-life at Tesla is too short to sustain a exothermic reaction...

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You should always be suspicious during a job interview when the interviewer and everybody else is wearing a VISITOR badge.
--------------------------------
"What do you do for a living?"
"I'm a tooling designer."
"Where do you work?"
"I'm not that sure. If I don't get a phone call from HR by midnight, it will be Tesla again in the morning."
"We don't have high turnover, that is a lie! We are re-inventing the human." - Elon Musk at stockholder's meeting.
"No, we didn't exactly hit our production ramp up, but we discovered the problem. 2 people on our staff tied the shoelaces together of the other 10,000 employees each day. We fired them, so everything will run smooth tomorrow."

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Tesla likely has much higher turnouver than average, but the auto industry in general has a lot of turnover. Plenty of very good people who worked on the Gen 1 Volt are gone. The list is quite long. Andrew Farah, Larry Nitz, and Pam Fletcher are still there, but so many have left.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Tesla likely has much higher turnouver than average, but the auto industry in general has a lot of turnover. Plenty of very good people who worked on the Gen 1 Volt are gone. The list is quite long. Andrew Farah, Larry Nitz, and Pam Fletcher are still there, but so many have left.
At least on this survey, GM ranks #5 out of the Fortune 500 for employee retention. https://www.payscale.com/data-packages/employee-loyalty/full-list

Tesla is hard to find data on. But during ramp up in production: https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/13/4819750/

Tesla has a similar rep with their suppliers when you talk with them.

High turnover and supplier issues need to be addressed by the CEO. It's been 10 years. Elon Musk is a great visionary, but as an automotive executive, he is not as qualified as the industry average is. Being smart is great, but being effective is better. He needs to find a more talented CEO for the automotive division.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
“As we continue to focus on quality and efficiency rather than simply pushing for the highest possible volume in the shortest period of time, we expect to have a slightly more gradual ramp through Q1, likely ending the quarter at a weekly rate of about 2,500 Model 3 vehicles,” Tesla wrote in a letter to investors. “We intend to achieve the 5,000 per week milestone by the end of Q2.”
Sure, except that was not the original plan or announcement. It was pushing out a high number of cars in a short period of time with virtually no "old school" pre-production testing and a hockey stick line on the ramp up chart. Computer CAD to high volume output "machine building the machine" at the click of a button.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
At least on this survey, GM ranks #5 out of the Fortune 500 for employee retention.
We're talking about upper management not all employees. But I will say that all companies have a lot of turnover at the top. That was my point.

I agree with this statement. The key is pushing out QUALITY Model 3's, not just hitting a big number sold. Last thing they need is poor quality which will send reservations running on top of the added cost to fix issues after the fact. IF the quality is there, the Model 3 will be on my list of cars I'd choose over the Bolt Bro :)
That's perfectly fine for you as a buyer of the product. If you're investor not so much. The stock price is presumably built on a given expectation of future profits. In a rational world, as you keep pushing back the day those future profits arrive, the expectations should change and the stock price should drop to reflect the new expectations. There is also the problem of finding new investors or lenders. So while quality of the product is important, if your primary business is selling stock then quantity may matter more.

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
This forum used to be about GM Volt owners now it is a lot about Tesla bashing by bro1999. Not sure why this is being 'encourage' (not discouraged). No news here. Many GM execs come and go or move on after Volt 1, Volt 2, Bolt, etc.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm with Brian - he's posting relevant news in the appropriate section : Tesla discussion. FYI, high level executive(s) leaving Tesla is a relevant topic on a Tesla sub page.

Scott - Why is it that you didn't raise concerns when a Tesla fanboy continued to post Tesla Model # non-news, and you are raising concerns with Brian (bro1999)? I'd have bigger beef with those actions on a GM-Volt site, not what bro1999 is doing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's perfectly fine for you as a buyer of the product. If you're investor not so much. The stock price is presumably built on a given expectation of future profits. In a rational world, as you keep pushing back the day those future profits arrive, the expectations should change and the stock price should drop to reflect the new expectations.
And pumping out thousands of low quality Model 3's that would all have to go back for service repairs plus the bad press, what would that do for investors?
I saw TSLA have a nice bump last week due to the early reviews and noted build Quality of the units being delivered. What would have happened if they pumped out 20,000 Model 3's that were of poor quality?
I get it, the long term goal they need to meet is 5,000 units per week, eventually 10,000 per week. But they need to be good quality and reliable, I think :)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
This forum used to be about GM Volt owners now it is a lot about Tesla bashing by bro1999. Not sure why this is being 'encourage' (not discouraged). No news here. Many GM execs come and go or move on after Volt 1, Volt 2, Bolt, etc.
I agree. Threads about a competitor's product makes sense if it's newsworthy, but a post about an executive shuffle seems tangential. Unless of course EM was being shoved out. That would be a different case.

I've actually greatly reduced my Tesla posts recently.
Yes, greatly appreciated. Many things are relevant, I'd just ask you to think how relevant a story concerning Tesla would be on a Volt forum. Also, Scott has been here a long time and has been very helpful in many ways. I disagree with him from time to time about Tesla, but no need to go after him like that.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
And pumping out thousands of low quality Model 3's that would all have to go back for service repairs plus the bad press, what would that do for investors?
Both quality and production numbers are important. Ideally you'd like both. My point is that, given the financial situation, it's probably more important for Tesla to hit delivery and profitability targets. "Tesla quality" has been something of an oxymoron but that really hasn't hurt the brand. As for high quality Model 3's, I think the question is still an open one. In my experience these things have a cycle: (1) Everyone waits for the release; (2) Ecstatic reports of the perfect quality; (3) Complaints about quality or defects; ((4) More measured assessments. We're likely more in the first couple of stages. (These stages are also there when people take new jobs as well!).

When the Volt was first released some people had the opinion that it had to be "perfect". Of course no car is perfect, the Volt wasn't an exception, and there were complaints. But GM survived and Volt owners were for the most part satisfied.

On the other hand, Tesla is burning through its cash, and it will need to either sell more stock or borrow more money or both. If the meme turns it may find it exceedingly difficult to do either. Running out of cash is always a bigger problem than unhappy customers, though you'd like to avoid that as well. But relatively speaking running out of money is the worst problem you can have.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Front Page Showing Threads from Weeks Ago

Just as an FYI, we know that the front page is showing stories from a few weeks ago. Hopefully this will be addressed soon.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
Just as an FYI, we know that the front page is showing stories from a few weeks ago. Hopefully this will be addressed soon.
In the meantime, I'm having some fun with the thread title...

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
Want the site fixed? Call 1-416-341-8950 VerticalScope. Number 3 for Automotive, number 1 for the forum.

VerticalScope Inc.
111 Peter Street, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5V 2H1
T. 1-416-341-8950

Give them a call.

If everyone who has complained calls them, maybe someone will make the fix a higher priority.

One call done. 199 to go?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.