GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on purchasing a Volt and asked the dealer to give me any information about the battery health.

I have the entire set of info in the following link: "https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7I_UAN_CJ1EMFZuVFY5V1hwMXM"

This is the global diagnostic system 2 data display. I am not savvy with what this info is, but I suppose it's OBD2 data. On page 5, there is a section that mentions "hybrid/ev battery pack capacity" and says 0199 next to it. Not sure how to interpret this and can't find any info online about it.

Has anyone come across this information? The main reason I'm looking at this data is to see if the vehicle is already having a reduced range or not, which in the case of the volt would be a dealbreaker since there was already consideration built in by GM to prevent this by not having the entire battery used at one go, having a reserve instead.

Thanks in advance!

Emortio

Former Volt Leaser, Now Looking to Buy CPO

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
You will find no reports here of Volt owners losing mileage. I myself got an underperforming Volt that had been baking on a dealer's lot and drove it back to health http://gm-volt.com/2013/02/26/a-tale-of-two-volts-the-summary/ The important thing for you is that the battery is warranted for 8 years and that up to the 2012 model year, they totally babied how the batteries charged/discharged. They have since become less conservative. You should feel confident that a 2012 Volt will have lots of battery life left in it.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I am planning on purchasing a Volt and asked the dealer to give me any information about the battery health.

I have the entire set of info in the following link: "https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7I_UAN_CJ1EMFZuVFY5V1hwMXM"

This is the global diagnostic system 2 data display. I am not savvy with what this info is, but I suppose it's OBD2 data. On page 5, there is a section that mentions "hybrid/ev battery pack capacity" and says 0199 next to it. Not sure how to interpret this and can't find any info online about it.

Has anyone come across this information? The main reason I'm looking at this data is to see if the vehicle is already having a reduced range or not, which in the case of the volt would be a dealbreaker since there was already consideration built in by GM to prevent this by not having the entire battery used at one go, having a reserve instead.

Thanks in advance!

Emortio

Former Volt Leaser, Now Looking to Buy CPO

How will Chevy measure our battery for warranty replacement?

If your Hybrid/EV/EV Battery Capacity hex code reading is really 0199, this would seem to me to be rather on the low side at 40.9Ah

FWIW: When I got my Gen1 battery pack baseline parameters printout performed at the dealership my Volt was reading a hex code of 01D4 or 46.8Ah at the time...

·
4,852 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Rich, did they give you this printout/service for free?
Yes, I rolled into the service bay and kindly asked the manager If he could just print out just the Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module 2 Voltage Data. He plugged in his GDS2 tool and I was out of there in less than 15min.

Is there a way to pull the hex code with an OBDII?
I believe you need the GM GDS2 tool such as used by the OP in order to get this specific hex code.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I have 99,500 EV miles on my 2012 Volt. Today I managed 52 miles on 9.5 kWh and still had 2 miles left. I can detect no range degradation so far after driving it for over 4.5 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts