GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would share some data that I've been gathering since I switched from ICE -> Hybrid -> EV/EREV

I live in Toronto, Ontario so things are pretty flat (and traffic-heavy), so most EVs tend to get superb range -- except for Jan-Feb where temps can get really cold. (Click the images below to view them in large size!)

2017-01-03 15_04_19-2017-2015_EV_COSTS_FULLTransmissionandTaxes_WORSTCASESCENARIO - Excel.jpg 2017-01-03 15_14_31-2017-2015_EV_COSTS_FULLTransmissionandTaxes_WORSTCASESCENARIO - Excel.jpg 2017-01-03 15_15_01-2017-2015_EV_COSTS_FULLTransmissionandTaxes_WORSTCASESCENARIO - Excel.jpg

The Volt EV numbers are a bit more vague than I would like. I joined VoltStats today, to get a more realistic/precise numbers going forward in 2017 as opposed to the last few months of just pulling off EV and ICE kms from the MyChevy app. and multiplying by 'average range in fall/summer vs. average range in Winter.

Nissan's Connect software yields much more granular information in their NissanConnect app. so the LEAF numbers are solid.

All the delivery charges, and taxes are included, and while I didn't add a factor for 'transmission loss', I do publicly charge my vehicle a lot, and all of those 'free public charging' is not included rather, I counted them as if I paid for the charging at home...so kind of a worst case cost scenario for my useage of 2 Electric Commuter Vehicles.

·
Registered
926 Posts
More power to you. I'm a lazy sloth and my eyes glaze over when looking at enough numbers for long enough periods. You'd be doing a great service in advertising the savings by documenting your own for others to see.

I myself have already cut my gas usage by 1/10 versus my old Maxima wagon.

BTW, how's the road noise compare from your Leaf's Pirelli's versus the Volt's Michelin's? I'm really digging the silent drive and can't justify switching out brand new Michelin's just to get quieter road noise.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Leaf is definitely quieter on the road. But it came at about a 10% hit in range (which on a BEV stings a bit).
Pick your poison, but I'd certainly never 'replace' tires just for noise reduction. At the time, the Leaf required a new set after 40k+ on the factor tires, two of which had slow leaks.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation, khalfyard. Maybe I'll drive more sport and brake harder more often to wear these Michelin's down faster...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a solid argument to make a Bolt our 2nd vehicle. Just not sure if I can trust the wife with a pure BEV.
With the Bolt's range, I'm sure it won't be a problem. We have a single 220V charger (and also a dedicated 120V wall socket), and it is more than enough to keep two cars topped up all the time, for two people who commute to work, and drive their young children around to suburban sports and such. (And I almost never have to use the wall socket.)

I am hoping to hold onto my 2012 Leaf until at least 2020, and by then, who knows what options for what prices will be available out there in terms of full BEV. One thing is for sure, I'm never going back to ICE.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought I would share some data that I've been gathering since I switched from ICE -> Hybrid -> EV/EREV

I live in Toronto, Ontario so things are pretty flat (and traffic-heavy), so most EVs tend to get superb range -- except for Jan-Feb where temps can get really cold. (Click the images below to view them in large size!)

View attachment 126681 View attachment 126689 View attachment 126697

The Volt EV numbers are a bit more vague than I would like. I joined VoltStats today, to get a more realistic/precise numbers going forward in 2017 as opposed to the last few months of just pulling off EV and ICE kms from the MyChevy app. and multiplying by 'average range in fall/summer vs. average range in Winter.

Nissan's Connect software yields much more granular information in their NissanConnect app. so the LEAF numbers are solid.

All the delivery charges, and taxes are included, and while I didn't add a factor for 'transmission loss', I do publicly charge my vehicle a lot, and all of those 'free public charging' is not included rather, I counted them as if I paid for the charging at home...so kind of a worst case cost scenario for my useage of 2 Electric Commuter Vehicles.
Hi Kalfyard,
I tried to view your screenshot images of that data, and it's too condensed to view it on my iPhone. I'm a big fuel/maintenance stats data guy so I'll be able to see it better on my screen at home. But I did see your daily fuel/electric costs per day and month.
I know it's for real, but I still gotta say "ARE YOU SERIOUS !?!?!?" That's phenomenal man !!! As you read in my first post, I spend anywhere from $240 to $270 per MONTH on fuel. Since I live outside of Ottawa (Carleton place), it's mostly highway mileage outside of the city. And I'm even driving like 85-89 km/he whenever I can just to stretch the fuel economy out of my Mazda 3 skyactiv.

Lemme tell ya, I sure am getting a lot of dirty looks from other drivers when they breeze past me. Some have even given me "the bird" as they go by me too ��.

I'm pretty much sold on the Volt lemme tell ya. Can't wait to test drive one if they can keep it on the lot long enogh for me to try it out. Your stats are almost 3/4 lower than what I spend on fuel. That alone has me sold man !! ����

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Kalfyard,
I tried to view your screenshot images of that data, and it's too condensed to view it on my iPhone.
I sent you a private message if you want to take a 'closer look,' so to speak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts