GM Volt Forum banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone successfully installed GDS2 on mac ( parallels or virtualbox )?
For what it’s worth, I’m running bootcamp on my 2016 mbp using Win 7, and things work great. I wish I didn’t have to use the VM the disc has, but it seems to work fine.

I would guess you might be able to open the VM image on a Mac using a VM program but I’m not sure. If I can remember, I can give it a try.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use VMware Fusion Version 8.5.5 to run a virtual machine with Windows 7 where I installed all the software that comes with the VCX Nano, including a virtual machine VMware Player that runs inside the virtualize machine. I have a Touchbar Macbook Pro 15" 2017 running OSX Mojave 10.14.2

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I don't have any laptops at this time so also was thinking of using one of my (2011-2012-2018 ) mac mini system
The older ones have windows 7 and windows 10 on the 2018 system.

Odd that I have never needed to jump in to VM software before for mac or PC so will be following any information in thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone successfully installed GDS2 on mac ( parallels or virtualbox )?
Succeeded after hours of f*rting around. On my mac, I have a W10 VM that I installed VMWare player in. Then I imported the W7 files from the VCX Nano DVD to the VMWare player. Works ok, just a bit messy to get it running.

Essentially a mac running a VM into a VM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
some info...

The Tech2Win bits are NOT needed for the Volt.
The VX Manager software is already installed within the VM.
(and Java is also already installed within the VM (for SPS?))

The *key* part of the VX Manager install on the VM's *host* is in
Program files \ VCX \ Install \ VCXSDK \ CDMInst
These are the FTDI virtual serial port USB drivers.

When you connect the NANO via USB, a virtual COM port is created on the *host* that allows the rest of the *host* installed software (Tech2Win, VX Manager) to talk to the NANO. In order for the VMware VM to talk to the NANO via USB, the Player logically 'un-plugs' the USB device from the *host* and 'plugs-in' the device to the VM, which causes these same FTDI drivers to activate *within* the VM and create the virtual COM port there.

When you 'connect' the NANO via WIFI, communication is via TCP port 23 (telnet port) on the NANO. The NANO (by default) assigns an IP address to the *host* and declares itself as the default gateway via DHCP. In order for the VMware VM to talk to the NANO, the Player assigns an IP address to the VM's (virtual) Ethernet interface and NAT's the traffic to the host's IP stack, which then routes it to the NANO.

What does all this mean? For people trying to use the VM on non-Windows hosts, and/or with non-Player software, the above will hopefully be helpful. For example, 'quantumorbit' (with VMware *Fusion* on the Mac) could skip the 'VM inside a VM' and try running the NANO VM directly with Fusion - especially if using the WIFI path. To use Parallels or Virtualbox, you'll need to research how to import/convert a VMware VM (in particular, the VMDK). To use the USB connection, you'll need to research how to logically connect the device into the VM via the hosting software.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any difference between the various vcx nano versions besides the bundled software on the CD? I see there is one for GDS2, TIS, UDS, ODIS, etc. I'm going to take a guess they are all the same unit but just come with a different label and packaged software CD? If there is a firmware difference?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe...

a) When you install/use VX Manager, it presents you with a menu of what to install support for.
b) Within VX Manager, there is a 'License' function. I assume displayed items are in the firmware.

What tests/uses these licenses? Code in the NANO?? VX Manager 'SDK' code installed on PC/VM??
Beats me... Have had no interest in digging further.

(though it's ironic that VXDIAG imposes licensing controls on *their* stuff but is,
shall we say, somewhat cavalier about third-party licensed software)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not the best computer guy, so bear with me. . . I need some assistance. I was able to set up the VMware and it runs fine on my PC laptop. I can connect to the Volt just fine and do what ever I need to do. My problem is related to SPS programing through the VXDIAG interface. So I purchased the 1 vehicle - 2 year subscription from ACDelco. When in the VMWare Win 7 environment, I try to access the ACDelco website and cannot. The browser needs to be updated, but it seems that this Explorer 8 supplied will not allow any updating. hmmmm So, I cannot run SPS from the Win 7 VMWare. Is this how others are doing the SPS programming updates?

If I access ACDelco TDS from my regular 64 bit operating system, I can run SPS ok, but it is not able to see the VCX nano VCI. I watched an on-line video that show the list of available interfaces and it included the VXDIAG, but when I launch, I cannot get this to show up.
I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It has been a while, so my memory may be sketchy. But, I had the same issue.
Iirc I downloaded Chrome or Firefox in the VM environment and it worked very with the SPS browser requirements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Roostre! That's a good idea. It looks the issue is with the authentication certificate. Dates definitely don't line up.

Regards,

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't actually done SPS (yet).

I believe that if you want to do it from the 'host' OS, you'll need VCX Manager installed (with "Passthru" support) and you'll need Java Runtime installed for your browser.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I just reprogrammed my HPCM 2 using the VCX nano and SPS subscription in order to get rid of the "service high voltage charging system" issue that arose after charging in some pretty high heat while visiting my sister in Flagstaff AZ. It all worked quite well which honestly was surprising after the amount of programs, updates and communications necessary to get to the actual step of reprogramming. Thanks to everyone here for your posts and contributions. They helped alot.
I didn't need to use any virtual machine or tech2win stuff. The latest GDS2 with passthrough software downloaded from VCX worked great with my windows 8.1 64bit laptop. $160 and a few hours of research well spent IMO.

I used this post to help guide me for those that are interested:
https://chevy.solarsocket.net/threads/guide-clear-p1fff-with-tis2web-and-sps.722/

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
thats awesome,,cutting ties w/ chevy service dept. is a big win all around.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not the best computer guy, so bear with me. . . I need some assistance. I was able to set up the VMware and it runs fine on my PC laptop. I can connect to the Volt just fine and do what ever I need to do. My problem is related to SPS programing through the VXDIAG interface. So I purchased the 1 vehicle - 2 year subscription from ACDelco. When in the VMWare Win 7 environment, I try to access the ACDelco website and cannot. The browser needs to be updated, but it seems that this Explorer 8 supplied will not allow any updating. hmmmm So, I cannot run SPS from the Win 7 VMWare. Is this how others are doing the SPS programming updates?

If I access ACDelco TDS from my regular 64 bit operating system, I can run SPS ok, but it is not able to see the VCX nano VCI. I watched an on-line video that show the list of available interfaces and it included the VXDIAG, but when I launch, I cannot get this to show up.
I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help.
I have the same problem. When i tried to run SPS the J2534 VXDIAG is not among the options to choose to communicate with the car. VX Manager is running and Driver is properly installed.
In fact, two weeks ago it worked perfectly to reprogram an Opel Ampera from the Opel-infotech page with SPS.

The advice is welcome.

121 - 140 of 164 Posts