GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Does anyone know if the update list is available before subscribing?
Would be nice to be able to check changelogs to know if there's an update available and whether it is important or not.
You might be able to see the versions (calibrations) here. But you’d need GDS2 in order to determine the part numbers.

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

As for change logs, GM only provides basic info. If you had access to the online service manuals you could probably determine what problems are corrected by a calibration, in a roundabout way.

I wouldn’t suggest doing any of this just for fun. I originally got the VCX Nano and subscribed to SPS so I could reprogram HPCM2 in my Volt to clear the errors associated with a bad coolant level sensor. I subscribed to SPS again yesterday to fix the recall issue on my Spark EV. But, I wouldn’t randomly subscribe and update the calibrations. There is always a small chance the the reflash will fail and brick one of the computers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this a good spot to get help with my VCX Nano? I have a 2011 volt I am trying to connect with, I have tried everything I know to do and it still is not connecting. I am using the left hand or drivers door OBD2 plug, windows 7 laptop running the software on both the VMware with windows XP and newer downloads of the software on windows 7. I have updated everything I know to update. My PC connects to the VCX Nano OK using the Allscanner VX manager running on windows 7, but not from the Nano to the car. I have tried both with car in maintenance mode, and with car on. Both lights are on, on the Nano when plugged into the car. The GDS 2 has the Volt Diagnostics loaded for the 2011 Volt, but when all connected the "Vehicle Menu" button and the "Enter" button are not highlighted as being available to use. Repeated tests show no connection to the vehicle, I am using the usb cable. I have a cheap bluetooth OBD2 dongle that I use on my other car with the Torque App, that does work and gives me some data when plugged in to the Volt, also works with MyGreenVolt app, so the port is working at least. I suspect there is one stupid thing I have overlooked in this process. I need to get this VCX Nano working before the 100 day warranty expires on my new to me Volt....Any help would be great, sorry for the Hijack.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I got it and have been playing around with it on my 14 Volt. I found that the GDS2 that came with it does not have coverage for any year Volt. It also came with Tech2WIN which was interesting too. I found that it only covers vehicles up to 2013 and Volt is not included. But I did find that if you tell it that you have a Silverado Hybrid, you can get some information, such as APU data and engine data. I diddnt want to venture too far for fear of causing problems with any of the computers in the car.

That being said, what software tools do you guys use with hardware such as the nano?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Sounds like the software you're using is more of a Tech 2 emulator which I understand tech2win will do. I have a standalone tech 2 clone that also only goes to 2013 and no Volt coverage which is why I suggest. I will definitely be following this thread as it seems the VCX is what I need to look into if I plan to do any repair work that requires testing of the various pumps/valves or other items that need to be activated manually.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My VCX Nano GM included both GDS2 and Tech2Win (which is only for older cars). I don’t recall having to do anything special to get the GDS2 VM to see the MDI interface, but it’s been a little while. Mine definetly included GDS2 support for all compatible GM cars through at least 2016, including the Volt.

There are several videos on YouTube. Try this one:

https://youtu.be/QlPZ_MjbVFA

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
My VCX Nano GM included both GDS2 and Tech2Win (which is only for older cars). I don’t recall having to do anything special to get the GDS2 VM to see the MDI interface, but it’s been a little while. Mine definetly included GDS2 support for all compatible GM cars through at least 2016, including the Volt.

There are several videos on YouTube. Try this one:

https://youtu.be/QlPZ_MjbVFA
New GDS2 Core Software Update

Just keep in mind the GDS2 software included with the VCX Nano is out of date as version (18.1.161) of the GDS2 core software has recently (September 24, 2017) been updated according to the above link so I'm not sure if this could potentially cause issues if used to reprogram!?:confused:

EDIT:

These updates work together so it’s important to have the latest core version as well as the latest diagnostic package installed to ensure the all fixes are in place. Using the new software updates minimize the chance of encountering errors when launching or using GDS 2

Found the above over at http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=6663 so just be wary of possible implications if GDS2 isn't kept up to date but if an older version is still working properly for you kudos!:D

·
Registered
541 Posts
New GDS2 Core Software Update

Just keep in mind the GDS2 software included with the VCX Nano is out of date as version (18.1.161) of the GDS2 core software has recently (September 24, 2017) been updated according to the above link so I'm not sure if this could potentially cause issues if used to reprogram!?:confused:

EDIT:

These updates work together so it’s important to have the latest core version as well as the latest diagnostic package installed to ensure the all fixes are in place. Using the new software updates minimize the chance of encountering errors when launching or using GDS 2

Found the above over at http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=6663 so just be wary of possible implications if GDS2 isn't kept up to date but if an older version is still working properly for you kudos!:D
GDS2 isn’t actually used to reprogram, just for diagnostics. SPS is used to reprogram. That’s an online Java program, so you get the latest version everytime you run it.

You are correct that the GDS2 included with the VCX will go out of data unless new versions are released by the VxDiag people.

For me the VCX has already paid for itself by allowing me to avoid two dealer visits. I’d buy it just for the SPS passthru functionality. The rest is a bonus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did anyone tried to program BECM or K1 14v control modules with vcx nano?
I cannot figure out is it a problem with VCX but after programming I lost 14v from APM.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I cannot figure out is it a problem with VCX but after programming I lost 14v from APM.
Hate to point out the obvious but you more than likely bricked your Volt by unnecessarily programming the 14V APM since it is required for proper operation of the Volt.

The 12V AGM capacity will only go so far until flattened if not being supplemented by the 14VDC from the APM while driving.

VOLT ACCESSORY POWER MODULE USER GUIDE

More than likely you will have to make a trip into a GM service dept to get this resolved and hopefully your 14V APM can be recovered...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I updated the calibration on my Volt’s BECM last weekend to fix an issue the 2011/12 have that causes a “Propulsion Power Reduced” message after the car sits briefly with an “empty” battery. No issues, though the BECM takes 10 minutes to complete the flash process after it indicates 100%. There was a warning about that prior to starting the flash, or it would have been quite nerve wracking.

I haven’t updated my APM calibration.

Did the flash fail mid-way? Are you getting any codes? How do you know the APM isn’t working?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I updated the calibration on my Volt’s BECM last weekend to fix an issue the 2011/12 have that causes a “Propulsion Power Reduced” message after the car sits briefly with an “empty” battery. No issues, though the BECM takes 10 minutes to complete the flash process after it indicates 100%. There was a warning about that prior to starting the flash, or it would have been quite nerve wracking.

I haven’t updated my APM calibration.

Did the flash fail mid-way? Are you getting any codes? How do you know the APM isn’t working?
Programming of BECM was normal and after certain pause in the end of process reached 100%. There was some problem with K1 programming but I did not save the code.

GDS shows "U1821" for Hybrid Powertrain control Module and "Lost communication with DC/DC".
And now i cannot reach K1 14V Power Module by TIS to reprogram it (was reaching it before).
Tried to reprogramm BECM few times and it goes normally and reaches the end but when i go to module details i see that one of components is keeping old calibration "23104375" instead of new proposed by TIS "23215572"

·
Registered
12 Posts
More than likely you will have to make a trip into a GM service dept to get this resolved and hopefully your 14V APM can be recovered...
Would be happy to do so but there is no such for Volts in my country. This model was not sold officially in Ukraine.

So as I see most likely I have two options:
- try to find MDI and reprogram BECM and K1
- if I fail above I need APM to be replaced.

Is there anything needed on top of normal MDI to flash bricked APM can controller?
Can I replace only APM brains keeping main components remain ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today I was lucky to get GM MDI original instrument and tried to reprogram my K1 module (using both only reprogramming and replacement options) but unfortunately no success - E4399 communication error.

It seems that the only option left is to replace APM.

Can I do it without touching main switch? (As practically car is not feeding HV to APM)

What are replacement options I can look at? I have 24261316 MSE465 MS1316A11710879 APM unit.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ok, question for those familiar with this VCX setup - I just bought a 2011 and found out that a lot of the settings that I've become accustomed to on my wife's 2012 are not actually user adjustable on the 2011 - disabling charge cord theft alert, auto locking, etc etc.

I was compiling a list of things I'd want to get changed during a trip to the dealer (see this thread) but the VXC-Nano possibly DIY option was mentioned - I had read about it here before and am kinda interested now - if I can buy hardware to make these edits myself for an equivalent cost to the dealer visit anyways, it would be dumb to not make the investment, especially since we own 2 G1 Volts now.

But...I know *some* things require SPS at additional cost - is it just module reprogramming/updates that require such, or do even minor changes like the ones I'm looking to change require a subscription as well?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Ok, question for those familiar with this VCX setup - I just bought a 2011 and found out that a lot of the settings that I've become accustomed to on my wife's 2012 are not actually user adjustable on the 2011 - disabling charge cord theft alert, auto locking, etc etc.

I was compiling a list of things I'd want to get changed during a trip to the dealer (see this thread) but the VXC-Nano possibly DIY option was mentioned - I had read about it here before and am kinda interested now - if I can buy hardware to make these edits myself for an equivalent cost to the dealer visit anyways, it would be dumb to not make the investment, especially since we own 2 G1 Volts now.

But...I know *some* things require SPS at additional cost - is it just module reprogramming/updates that require such, or do even minor changes like the ones I'm looking to change require a subscription as well?

Are you sure these could be programmed specifically for your 2011 Gen1?:confused:

How To Disable The Remote Express Down Feature For Key Fob – 2012-2015 Chevrolet Volt

Reason I ask is for example the function for disabling the remote express window down feature may only be avail for Gen1 Volts 2012 thru 2015 according to the link above and would require you to pay for the SPS subscription service if you wanted to do it yourself with VCX Nano.

As far as GDS2 software, the version that is 'supplied' with the VCX Nano is quite stale at v15 I believe.

GDS2 v19 is now in use at GM service depts since last month: http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=8443

Latest GDS2 version I have been able to 'acquire' is v17 pictured above and is working well via the VCX Nano with my 2013 Volt.

FWIW: GDS2 v17 is populated with GM vehicles upto MY18 shown above

Think about the only 'configuration setting' change you may be able to perform via GDS2 on the Gen1 is to enable Afterblow.

Believe you would need to pay for the SPS subscription for other options but I have not had any interest in doing so thus far...

·
Registered
541 Posts
SPS is only used to flash calibrations (system code) onto modules. It’s not used to make settings changes.

If GM allows a variable change to be made by the dealer, then GDS2 is what is used to make that change. That being said, I don’t know if the settings you’re looking for are configurable on the 2011, even by the dealer.

·
Registered
657 Posts
That being said, I don’t know if the settings you’re looking for are configurable on the 2011, even by the dealer.
Thanks for the info.

Fair enough, I guess I won’t know until I try.

The local dealership that I deal with (shout out to Roy Nichols Motors in Courtice Ontario Canada!) has been excellent in helping me out with both our Volts - I was happpy to discover that they’re very EV knowledgeable versus my experience elsewhere. Their service manager has gone out of his way to help us with our Volts and I suspect he may be as interested as I am to find out if any or all of these things are adjustable.

But if all I need is a VCX Nano, the temptation to just buy one and look for myself (which would also be useful on our 2012) is there - what’s the cheapest/best source for the hardware?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
SPS is only used to flash calibrations (system code) onto modules. It’s not used to make settings changes.

If GM allows a variable change to be made by the dealer, then GDS2 is what is used to make that change. That being said, I don’t know if the settings you’re looking for are configurable on the 2011, even by the dealer.

https://i.imgur.com/VXGxKhU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dQ9AQdz.jpg

FWIW: The example setting change of being able to enable or disable the Remote Open All Windows feature on RKE transmitter I gave earlier for the Gen1 can only be modified thru the application of a specific calibration during SPS programming of the K9 Body Control Module. There is no option to modify this specific feature via GDS2 software...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ current calibration info on my VIN for the K10

What GDS2 reports is currently installed on my Volt...

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ current calibration info on my VIN for the K16

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ current calibration info on my VIN for the K17

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ current calibration info on my VIN for the K20

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ current calibration info on my VIN for the K107B

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ current calibration info on my VIN for the K114B

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ current calibration info on my VIN for the K9

FWIW: Compared several calibration IDs for modules listed over at https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ on my specific 2013 Volt VIN and found no additional updates over what calibration is already installed on my Gen1 from what the GDS2 software is reporting...

21 - 40 of 164 Posts