GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of a 2014 and I love it. I've read that the vcx nano is capable of talking to the various modules in the car at a dealer level as opposed to a regular obd2 reader.

I'm a bit off a data nerd and would like to see some of the parameters that are typically hidden from regular users. I'm not looking to change anything and potentially void my warranty.

I've been working on more modern electronic cars for quite some time and I'm excited to see what other parameters the volt may have that I might be able to view.

I'm also looking to the future in case I have to do any troubleshooting where I would need to command one of the modules to do something. For example, my understanding of break bleeding I the volt requires cycling the ABS but the only way to do it is with a device like the nano.

So my question is, what all can this device do with my volt and is there a better or cheaper device that will do what I want?

·
Registered
534 Posts
The VCX Nano GM includes GDS2 software, which is what the dealers use to diagnose & control the various system in any modern GM car. It can also be uses for online SPS programming to update the code on modules, though that requires an SPS subscription through ACDelco.

The VCX will not let you custom tune your car, since that's not something a dealer would ever do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Subscribed!

If I can use this to update my radio software (possible bluetooth improvement) then I'm all in. Local dealer wants $125 but I pay only if there's an update. I think the price is reasonable but if I can tool-up for the same money and do it myself that's what I'd rather do.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Subscribed!

If I can use this to update my radio software (possible bluetooth improvement) then I'm all in. Local dealer wants $125 but I pay only if there's an update. I think the price is reasonable but if I can tool-up for the same money and do it myself that's what I'd rather do.
You can use it with a SPS subscription to update your radio software. Lowest cost SPS subscription is $55 for two days.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Are there any other all-in-one devices,other than VCX nano, out there that would do the same thing?

The VCX nano requires a PC laptop to use it. I don’t have a PC laptop. So that would be an added expense above the cost of the Nano.

What is a “SPS subscription”?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You'll want a computer based solution.
Most reliable.

SPS is a service subscription sold by GM that gives you official software downloads to be able to program.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Are there any other all-in-one devices,other than VCX nano, out there that would do the same thing?

The VCX nano requires a PC laptop to use it. I don’t have a PC laptop. So that would be an added expense above the cost of the Nano.

What is a “SPS subscription”?
As was stated, a PC is the only option. SPS is how GM gives the public pay access to program their cars

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

·
Registered
609 Posts
So their are no other options besides a VCX nano to do programing?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Any interface capable of J2534 passthru should work with SPS for module updates. But, VCX also includes GDS2 which lets you troubleshoot and control modules. For example, you can run the ABS pump to bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Okay, thanks

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Sure, but they're all more expensive. You could buy an MDI and a Tech-2, for example, and that'll cost about $500. But there's lots of suitable laptops for about half that.

·
Registered
609 Posts
True, I could pickup a used laptop fairly cheap these days. I wouldn’t use for anything other than basic needs for PC only stuff.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
These tools are very primitive by modern standards. You wouldn't need anything fancier than an old windows XP laptop, most likely.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yeah, I noticed in a couple YouTube videos that they ran on XP. Does it need to be XP or would it work on newer windows products. I no nothing about PC windows products. We are an Apple household.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You don't need a laptop, you can easily get a Windows tablet. Just make sure it uses an x86 CPU (Which is pretty much all of them). These tablets can be pretty cheap these days, and much easier to mount in a car.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The GDS2 included with the VCX Nano GM version is run as a Windows XP VM. So, the PC you buy needs to be able to run VMWare Player to use the VM. Anything with Windows 7 64bit should be fine. I haven’t tried it on Windows 10. But, it does need to be a 64bit CPU and OS. Still should be cheap to find a used one. A dual-booted Mac might work, but I haven’t tried it.

I actually just used my VCX yesterday to update the code on my Spark EV’s HPCM2, since I recently got a recall notice on it. I’d rather spend the $55 for a two day subscription and do it myself than have to deal with the dealer. I also updated my Volt’s Battery control module and engine control module since they were both out of date. Each module takes about 10 minutes to flash. The battery module actually took an additional 10 minutes after it hit 100%, but there was a warning about that so I didn’t get too nervous that I’d bricked it!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I’d rather spend the $55 for a two day subscription and do it myself than have to deal with the dealer. I also updated my Volt’s Battery control module and engine control module since they were both out of date.
This exactly.

I haven’t had to do anything, computer programming wise with our Volt, since we got it 18 months ago. It came with a fairly long list of programming updates that were done during its previous lease / ownership life. I’d guess that since it’s 5 years old now, that just about any know issue would have been addressed by now under the previous updates. We haven’t received any notifications saying an update should be done to anything yet.
We do get a monthly status report.

·
Registered
534 Posts
This exactly.

I haven’t had to do anything, computer programming wise with our Volt, since we got it 18 months ago. It came with a fairly long list of programming updates that were done during its previous lease / ownership life. I’d guess that since it’s 5 years old now, that just about any know issue would have been addressed by now under the previous updates. We haven’t received any notifications saying an update should be done to anything yet.
We do get a monthly status report.
You won’t get any notices about updates unless they are a safety issue. In the case of my Spark EV, the computer was incorrectly computing remaining battery, causing sudden shutdown when the battery ran out. That’s a safety issue if it happens at highway speeds, so they sent a notice.

The update that I applied to he Volt’s engine computer had a note saying it fixed a potential no-start situation. Sounded like something I’d want. The updates for the Volt’s battery computer didn’t haven any notes, so who knows what they did. But, I had paid for the subscription and had the computer connected to the car, so might as well update everything!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Does anyone know if the update list is available before subscribing?
Would be nice to be able to check changelogs to know if there's an update available and whether it is important or not.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts