GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2017 Volt Premier for 17 days now, and I've noticed that after a full charge, the displayed range has varied by as much as 4 miles. The first few charges showed 53 miles; since then, it usually shows 49 miles, and today 50.

Are others seeing this? I'm not overly concerned, but psychologically I'd like to see it consistently maxing out at or near 53.

Thanks.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've had my 2017 Volt Premier for 17 days now, and I've noticed that after a full charge, the displayed range has varied by as much as 4 miles. The first few charges showed 53 miles; since then, it usually shows 49 miles, and today 50.

Are others seeing this? I'm not overly concerned, but psychologically I'd like to see it consistently maxing out at or near 53.
There are sooo many factors that can affect range, including the temperature, the grades you're driving on, the traffic, how many stop lights you hit, how aggressively you drive (which is often dictated by how aggressive the guy in front of you is), etc. etc. And each time you re-charge the car integrates the performance of the last driving cycle into its estimate of how for you'll be able to drive on the next one.

Of course it's just a total guess (which is why some people call it the "guess-o-meter") because it has no idea what kind of conditions you'll actually face on the drive ahead.

So what you're seeing is totally normal and nothing to be concerned about. As you become more familiar with the car you'll be able to recognize when you're driving in conditions that will give you more range than the car estimates and when when the estimate is probably too optimistic.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
The guessometer will vary depending on how much you lead foot, how warm or cold it is, and how much you hit adverse conditions (high winds, rain, snow). The way to get this to climb is to drive like a grandpa. I did that for about 2 years to get my gen1 close to 50 miles of range, but then decided to just drive it and the guessometer now reads about 34 miles, but I'm driving normal highway speeds and not concerned about eeking out every mile. The drop from 90-95 mpg to 85 mpg was well worth it.

So if you live anywhere near the Boston area, the way folks drive there is likely the reason for your mileage drop. My daughter grew up in the Midwest, but her college career in Boston has affected how aggressively she drives.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I will have to say I really resent people calling it a "guess-o-meter", because it is not. The projected range number is actually based on real hard facts of how you have been driving, ambient temperature, and the terrain that you choose to drive over. If you want the numbers to go up then react to these parameters accordingly. Just don't be too OCD about the numbers - unless you feel you must.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
When I first got my 2017 I was seeing ranges into the high 40's. I figure in the winter I will likely see high 30's. I have seen some estimated ranges as high as 65 miles in the nicer weather.

The range number doesn't always charge to 53 miles because it won't always go 53 miles on a charge. It depends on your driving habits, temperature and terrain. The indicated EV range estimated is not indicative of state of charge.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I will have to say I really resent people calling it a "guess-o-meter", because it is not. The projected range number is actually based on real hard facts of how you have been driving, ambient temperature, and the terrain that you choose to drive over. If you want the numbers to go up then react to these parameters accordingly. Just don't be too OCD about the numbers - unless you feel you must.

VIN # B0985
That's true, but it's all HISTORICAL information. It knows nothing about where you're driving today, nor under what conditions. The best it can do for today's driving is guess.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
That's true, but it's all HISTORICAL information. It knows nothing about where you're driving today, nor under what conditions. The best it can do for today's driving is guess.
Somewhat true. For technique and terrain this is correct however my 2017 Volt does seem to look at current ambient temperature and makes an immediate adjustment for it.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Somewhat true. For technique and terrain this is correct however my 2017 Volt does seem to look at current ambient temperature and makes an immediate adjustment for it.
If you were to drive it like you stole it for the first 5 minutes of your drive, I think the range meter will take that into account and adjust your range downward. That said, sometimes we are better off without all this live telemetry. Remember ice vehicles without an MPG meter? Maybe some black electrical tape is in order.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
My 2013 is rated at 38 miles, and my battery ICON has varied by over 15 miles over a two week period this winter. Week one saw temps into the teens and my guess-o-Meter dropped to 32 miles then the following week temps climbed into the 50's and my guess-o-Meter climbed back into the 40's.

It's normal.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Bruce - pay more attention to the range you actually get out of a full charge - that is your real gauge :)

VIN # B0985
You aren't really feeling resentful.

I refer to it as the V-Estimate :)

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
My 2013 is rated at 38 miles, and my battery ICON has varied by over 15 miles over a two week period this winter. Week one saw temps into the teens and my guess-o-Meter dropped to 32 miles then the following week temps climbed into the 50's and my guess-o-Meter climbed back into the 40's.

It's normal.
32 miles in the winter is wonderful. Mine went down to 28 miles of range. And even with that, there were times I only got 24 miles out of a full charge.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agree. My estimated range is usually satisfyingly accurate, and it adjusts accordingly when driving conditions actually change. I have no complaints about its accuracy, and I find the estimate to be useful.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Bruce, I've had my 2017 for almost two weeks, and the *estimated* EV range this morning was up to 66. I've been driving a consistent commute and, while not hypermiling, I am trying to be conservative. There is another thread floating around titled something like "New High EV Range" or something. As others have said, Your Results May Vary.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
That's possibly true for yours. Mine lives in a basement garage, so every time I start it, the ambient temperature is between 50 and 67F, no matter what it is outside.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
32 miles in the winter is wonderful. Mine went down to 28 miles of range. And even with that, there were times I only got 24 miles out of a full charge.
That was for that example, I've seen mid TWENTIES when it dropped to ZERO and below- YIKES.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Luckily the Volt isn't a pure EV so the range estimate is just a guide to how your drive has been going up to that point consumption-wise. I actually prefer to see the energy screen and see how many kWh have been used on familiar drives (like to/from work). I don't like the guess-o-meter because there is quite a lot of variation in traffic congestion and elevation change in SD Co and it recalculates a lot on my drive home.

Range is usually better in one direction so 26 miles is often not halfway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have a 15 Volt with the slightly larger battery and with temps around 55 last night, my garage was probably around 65 degrees which seems to be the sweet spot. Showed 45 miles this morning which is really good. This time of year I'm generally around 42 and in the winter months, the lower 30s. When I drive by myself, I get those mileages as I drive w/o heat or air as I'm sorta anal... With the wife in car and the AC on comfort (hot flashes), I get about 10-15% less. Will be getting a 17 Volt delivered soonish as the build date was Monday. I'm keeping the 15 Volt and losing my 08 STS-V. Lots of mixed feelings!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Something I've been pleased with: the estimation is nicely conservative. So far (after my deep experience of about 4 weeks) I've found that I almost always exceed the estimate; the range available when I plug in again is better than what was predicted.

Black tape over certain parts of the display might be a solution to some of these nagging worries. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts