GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the wife broke the vanity mirror flap. The little pin in the corner of the flap broke off. One good thing about this is that GM designed the mirror lights to turn OFF if this flap was removed. I know older vehicles would leave the vanity mirror lights on if the flap were removed. Kudos to GM for fixing this design weakness. That having been said, I researched this a bit and found that people were replacing the entire vanity mirror assembly. My goal was to fix this by repairing the flap itself. Ultimately I succeeded in the repair. I used an extra thick CA glue to glue the metal pin back onto the flap, and used a dremel tool to clean off the excess glue (probably need to be careful here). The most difficult part of the job was getting the flap installed back into the visor. I will admit I broke the pin off a couple of times before I figured it out, and like most things this turned out to be mostly finesse. The picture shown below shows the angle of approach I used to get the flap installed.

How I installed the flap:

1. Held the flap close to the visor as shown in the picture.
  2. Located the good pin into the socket hole (get a flash light and look closely for the position of the entry hole).
  3. Used 2 hands to bend the flap in a arch shape so that the pin could be inserted into the remaining socket hole (try support both pins while doing this, I kept fingers close to the pins).
  4. Placed a warning label on the visor flap in the hopes that the wife wouldn't break it again :)

Visor vanity mirror flap repaired (note this picture shows best position I found for re-inserting the flap back into the mounting holes):

Label

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
If this does not work, you could try a U-Pull-It type salvage yard and get a whole visor for about $6 to 10. That pocket mirror can be carefully removed if needed. I bought two 2014 telescoping Chevy Cruise sun visors with lighted mirror for my Bolt that way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts