GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deceptive sales tactics cited by CPS

Ben Rodriguez, spokesman for San Antonio Solar Alliance, a trade group of solar installers, said he has heard reports from CPS Energy and personally witnessed salespeople using “whatever-means-possible” techniques.

These include overstaying their welcome in peoples’ homes and not quoting accurate energy production numbers, he said. Such salespeople often target middle- and upper-middle-class neighborhoods and retired homeowners who have not been exposed to solar, he said.

“The only way for a company to migrate into a market that is already filled with established companies is to, in my opinion, hire extremely aggressive, well-motivated salespeople to do door-to-door marketing and online marketing,” Rodriguez said.

CPS Energy’s legal team has in some cases issued cease-and-desist orders to businesses that are not playing by the rules, utility spokesman Paul Flaningan said.

Lisa Gold, vice president of sales for South Texas Solar Systems, said most of the “shady” companies come from out of state. She advises consumers to shop local for solar and get two to three estimates before making a purchase. She supports the new CPS Energy rules.

Gold described one company’s tactic of sending young women “dressed a little scantily” door to door, seeking appointments for salespeople to follow up. The women earn $1,000 commissions if the lead generates a sale, she said.
Please see:: Utility makes changes on solar rebates

Note: CPS Energy is the city-owned utility that serves the greater San Antonio area.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
That reminds me of one Saturday morning when I was walking out of a Post Office. Two young, attractive women approached me, bosoms 'a' bouncing. "Hey, handsome. What are you doing tomorrow?" At this point, I look down to see a couple of "Jesus Saves" pins next to their cleavage lines. "Well, I'm not going to church with you."

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah,

We're also being bombarded with out-of-town roofers since the big hailstorm in April. The number of complaints has gone up around their practices as well. We waited in the queue for the local company that we've used before to do our work - someone we can grab by the collar if we discover a problem later.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
If you want to really distill what is going wrong in our country down to one issue, it is this: People have shifted away from buying locally. I was extremely happy to discover that the company I will be going through to by my solar equipment is only about 100 miles North, and they primarily deal in U.S. made products.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts