GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get things in order so that I can print photos onsite from my car (little league games etc.). I already have a power converter.

Will the Volt use the lithium batteries as a back up and prevent the small 12 volt battery under the hatch from draining? I want to make sure I'm not going to damage anything.

I only powering a very small print server, and my DNP DS40 photo printer. If I can find a way to print from a long distance, I MAY want to leave the printer turned on for an hour or 2 at a time.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
When the Volt is 'on' it keeps the 12v system charged. Whether it has the capacity to keep up with your needs is another question I can't answer. Also, if I read it correctly, Wop On Tour, our resident guru, pointed out some differences in the way different model years accomplish this, but that may have applied only to times when the car is plugged in.

Turn 'off' a 2012 and the outlets go dead after ten minutes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I was assuming that I would have to leave the car turned on. I own a 2012, and I know what you mean about the system turning off. Radio quits on it's own.

I don't think the cigarette outlet will be a problem. If I have to, I can remove the cigarette adapter and add some alligator clips to the power converter and go directly from the 12V battery.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Should not be a problem. People have wired inverters to the 12V battery for 1500+ watts of power and run refrigerators. Main thing is to keep the car turned on so it will charge the 12V battery from the traction battery. The engine will come on periodically if necessary after the traction battery is depleted.

One forum member used to sell a wiring harness to make the connection easier (no need to lift the cargo floor). I think that kind of thing would be helpful assuming you are using the cargo floor as a work surface for the printer.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of sporting venues where you may be working will have an electrical outlet available somewhere.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm trying to get things in order so that I can print photos onsite from my car (little league games etc.). I already have a power converter.

Will the Volt use the lithium batteries as a back up and prevent the small 12 volt battery under the hatch from draining? I want to make sure I'm not going to damage anything.

I only powering a very small print server, and my DNP DS40 photo printer. If I can find a way to print from a long distance, I MAY want to leave the printer turned on for an hour or 2 at a time.
You don't give us any information about your "print server" but I'm going to assume something laptop-like in terms of draw, so I'm making a ballpark guess of 65 Watts (though some go up to 95 Watts). I looked up the power requirements for your printer, the manufacturer says 110 V: 3.96 A, which is 430 Watts.
Accounting for loss with the inverter and all that means you'd be drawing somewhere in the ballpark of 500-550 Watts to run that setup.

So if I'm understanding the setup correctly, that much draw means a few things...
1) You'd need to wire up directly to the 12v battery with some decent gauge wire (the accessory sockets aren't going to cut it) like 10GA or heavier because that is going to draw around 45AMP over the 12v wires.
2) You might possibly get half an hour to an hour of actual draw time.
3) If you deep cycle that 12v battery you are going to damage it.

You should also be aware that most inexpensive inverters are only capable of creating "square wave" power, not true "sine wave". A lot of electronic equipment really does not play well with "square wave" AC power and it can result in damage if your electronics are especially sensitive. I destroyed a nice Canon camera battery charger and battery pack to the tune of $150 before I learned about that.

A little more info on inverters here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help.

I'm going to try and do this without the laptop. Just print directly from my iPad and a print server from the same manufacturer. I

http://www.adorama.com/DNPWPS1.html

I'm trying to find a device to boost the signal from this WPS-1. Any ideas for that< I'm all ears. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts