GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 2018 Volt with the stock charging cord, hooked up with an adapter to give me 240V. It works perfectly for Level 2 charging at 12 Amps, 240V. I can charge my Volt from empty to full in approximately 5-5.5 hours.

My question is - if my wife buys a 2018 LEAF (40Khw battery) can I use that to charge her Leaf until I can get a separate 240V plug installed for her Leaf? The Leaf can charge at upto 6.6Khw using it's own supplied charging cable but it plugs into a different style of plug than one I installed in my garage for my Volt.

Has anyone ever done that?

Thanks
Darren

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Hey, I have a 2018 Volt with the stock charging cord, hooked up with an adapter to give me 240V. It works perfectly for Level 2 charging at 12 Amps, 240V. I can charge my Volt from empty to full in approximately 5-5.5 hours.

My question is - if my wife buys a 2018 LEAF (40Khw battery) can I use that to charge her Leaf until I can get a separate 240V plug installed for her Leaf? The Leaf can charge at upto 6.6Khw using it's own supplied charging cable but it plugs into a different style of plug than one I installed in my garage for my Volt.

Has anyone ever done that?

Thanks
Darren
If you mean the Leaf's J1772 charging port, you should be able to use your OE EVSE from your Volt to charge at either 120V or 240V, both limited to 12 amps. If you mean the Leaf's CHADeMo fast charging connector, then no.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you mean the Leaf's J1772 charging port, you should be able to use your OE EVSE from your Volt to charge at either 120V or 240V, both limited to 12 amps. If you mean the Leaf's CHADeMo fast charging connector, then no.
Yes I mean the Leaf's J1772 charging port, not the CHADeMo. I just don't want to fry anything ;-)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
That should work fine. The J1772 standard is supposed to make all that stuff interchangeable. There have been a few cases where a particular charger would not work with a particular car (possibly fixed by software updates), but your combination should work.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
... The Leaf can charge at upto 6.6Khw using it's own supplied charging cable but it plugs into a different style of plug than one I installed in my garage for my Volt.
The charge cord supplied with the Leaf is limited to 12 amps - just like the Volts charge cord is. Difference is that the Nissan one has a 240v (14-50) plug from the factory, and uses a supplied adapter for 120v receptacles. So it is the opposite of the GM unit with the 120v (5-15) plug and a third party adapter for 240v.

But yes - in theory you can use either charge cord with either car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The charge cord supplied with the Leaf is limited to 12 amps - just like the Volts charge cord is. Difference is that the Nissan one has a 240v (14-50) plug from the factory, and uses a supplied adapter for 120v receptacles. So it is the opposite of the GM unit with the 120v (5-15) plug and a third party adapter for 240v.

But yes - in theory you can use either charge cord with either car.
Thanks. I probably will end up using the Leaf charge cord to charge my Volt at L1, and my Volt charge cord to charge the Leaf at L2 (12 amps). Leaf has a much bigger battery. I rarely drain my Volt battery anyway, and leaving it plugged in overnight for 12 hours will probably be enough for me to charge the Volt.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Thanks. I probably will end up using the Leaf charge cord to charge my Volt at L1, and my Volt charge cord to charge the Leaf at L2 (12 amps). Leaf has a much bigger battery. I rarely drain my Volt battery anyway, and leaving it plugged in overnight for 12 hours will probably be enough for me to charge the Volt.
You can charge both at Level 2.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know that people have been adapting the 120 volt charger to 240 volts to charge their volts which is a 18 kw battery and takes 5-6 hours.

However I am wondering if using the same converted charger to charge a 40kw battery which will take upwards of 12 hours, will not damage the charger being used in a undesigned mode for so long.

I do not think really anyone has tried this before.

It makes me wonder if the clipper creek demo chargers would not be a better method especially given the price for the refurb units and the ability to charge at 7.2.

·
Registered
320 Posts
However I am wondering if using the same converted charger to charge a 40kw battery which will take upwards of 12 hours, will not damage the charger being used in a undesigned mode for so long.

The time-to-charge is no concern at all. You can use one EVSE and run it all day long charging one car after another. I have a '13 LEAF and a '16 Volt, and can marathon charge them both at Level 2 with the EVSE that came with either car (Both adapted to level 2 charing).

·
Registered
568 Posts
I know that people have been adapting the 120 volt charger to 240 volts to charge their volts which is a 18 kw battery and takes 5-6 hours.

It makes me wonder if the clipper creek demo chargers would not be a better method especially given the price for the refurb units and the ability to charge at 7.2.
First, the 'charger' is built into the car - 3.8 Kw for the Volt and 7.2 Kw for the Leaf

The EVSE is nothing more than a 'smart switch' and a cord, so it doesn't matter if you use it for ten minutes or ten hours - All it's doing is closing an internal relay to supply power to the charger . . . . in the car

Don

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If the Leaf's L2 EVSE is limited to 12 amps and we know the Volt L2 EVSE is limited to 12 Amps, you could just split the one wall connection if it is 30 amps or higher. that is what I did for my two Volts. here is a pic.

Wire Cable Technology Electronic device Electrical wiring Electrical wiring Wire Cable management Cable Electronics Machine Camera Sewing machine Cameras & optics Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
65 Posts

GM supplies the same charger for the Volt and the Bolt. Plenty of Bolt ( @ 60KWH) owners run it at 220 so it should be fine. Charging a Bolt with that thing at 110 is not a great idea for anyone that does more than drive to the (proverbial) mail box and back.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
GM supplies the same charger for the Volt and the Bolt. Plenty of Bolt ( @ 60KWH) owners run it at 220 so it should be fine. Charging a Bolt with that thing at 110 is not a great idea for anyone that does more than drive to the (proverbial) mail box and back.
the discussion was about a Leaf and a Volt, not a Bolt. But point still true.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Seeing how you have a different style plug in the wall from what the Leaf EVSE can accept for L2, why not just make up an adapter plug to go from what the Leaf EVSE uses to what you have installed? i.e. if you have a 14-30 plug but your receptacle is 6-20, make a short pigtail with the appropriate plug/receptacle combination. Or as was pointed out by another member, if you have enough current available, say a 50A circuit, you could easily and safely branch off the circuit and make a second outlet to accommodate both EVSEs since the OEM units are limited to 12A.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts