GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Was on highway going up n down 45 to 0 in stop n go traffic and 2 separate cars almost hit me before it dawned on me my brake light is not coming on when i lift in L ?
Anyone thought kit for brake light to come on in L if fully off accell?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Just curious. Was on highway going up n down 45 to 0 in stop n go traffic and 2 separate cars almost hit me before it dawned on me my brake light is not coming on when i lift in L ?
The obvious answer is to use the brake pedal under these conditions.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
When I use L I tend to one pedal drive it. When I want to slow down I don't lift my foot off the accelerator, I just reduce the pressure on it over a few seconds so I slow down a bit slower, so to speak. When I am in L I still try to minimize the regen and "coast" as much as possible. But I have to admit that I spend more time in D and I coast for real, a lot. What does regen get you? 50-60% of the power it took to get you up to speed? 75% if you are lucky? I have seen low numbers and high for regen so I really don't know for sure.
I have never had anyone have any trouble keeping off my bumper due to my braking. Bozos tailgating me to get to the next exit 1 car sooner, now that I see a lot of.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Using L how many rear ended close calls?
None in my Gen 1 Volt, and I use L all the time (almost 5 years by now.)

However, I have been rear-ended at least 4 times in my conventional cars.

I use my rear-view mirror to check those following me. If they are on their cell-phone, flossing their teeth, or applying make-up (I've encountered all these), I get out of their way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
None in my Gen 1 Volt, and I use L all the time (almost 5 years by now.)

However, I have been rear-ended at least 4 times in my conventional cars.

I use my rear-view mirror to check those following me. If they are on their cell-phone, flossing their teeth, or applying make-up (I've encountered all these), I get out of their way.

I hear ya on that!! Was rear ended 4 times in my Buick.....I was stopped all 4 times. People just don't pay attention when driving.....

·
Administrator
19,977 Posts
I hear ya on that!! Was rear ended 4 times in my Buick.....I was stopped all 4 times. People just don't pay attention when driving.....
This. People stopped with their brake lights on get rear ended, while there are virtually no rear-enders between two moving cars whether or not the brake lights are on. A distracted driver not paying attention to what's in front is the cause of rear-end collisions. People plow into the rear of squad cars with all their lights going regularly. The lights did nothing to prevent the collision. Every Volt owner who has posted here about getting rear-ended had it happen with their brake lights on.

If you are still concerned that you will be rammed while driving in low, then use your brake pedal as TSquare suggested.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Ditto, all my rear-enders and near collisions have been while I was sitting, with my foot on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Zero close calls from the rear in both Gen1 Volt and ELR. Four years with these cars in DFW commuter traffic.

Regen doesn't slow fast enough to be an issue for following drivers. If they are actually driving.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I thought there was a "threshold" on the amount of regen braking where brake lights were required by law and I know the Tesla and Gen II Volt cross that threshold, I didn't think the Gen I Volt did.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
zero,,but I did have 1 lady come beside me and tell me my brake lights don't work.I then kindly explained how my car can brake.She thought it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Zero. zip. nada.
the same when I drove manual transmission vehicles and used the gears to slow the vehicle down. Non issue.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I guess it varies by area. I get people not realizing I'm slowing all the time. But, nobody has come too close for comfort as of yet. But this isn't exclusive to the Volt. The same thing happens on my motorcycle as I downshift and use engine braking to slow(I usually drag the rear brake a bit just to light up the tail light). I think it's partly due to people driving only automatics, so they have no clue that you can slow a vehicle without braking, so when they encounter this, it's something new to them. Seems people also cannot tell a vehicle is slowing, no matter how seemingly obvious it is, unless the brake lights are lit.

·
Administrator
19,977 Posts
Seems people also cannot tell a vehicle is slowing, no matter how seemingly obvious it is, unless the brake lights are lit.
I imagine these same people walk into slower walking people all the time in malls, sidewalks, hallways, etc.. How could you even tell others are walking slower than you without a brake light on their rear? You'd need eyes or something. :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Gen 1 taillights do not light up in Low.

In stop and go traffic (less than 15mph) I just use low. When I am using low for significant braking, I lightly press the pedal to light up the brake lights, and am ready to brake harder is needed.

Yes, I know there's no difference between low and braking. It just feels more like driving a stick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts