GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that having a 50% charge on the traction battery is the best state of charge for long battery life. So I've decided to set up a two stage charging scheme using Delayed- Rate & Departure charging. I set it up so that after commuting home with no charge remaining, I charge for two hours and complete charging just before departure the next day. This will give me some charge if I want to run an unexpected errand in the evening as well as use power from my solar panels in late afternoon. Finishing off the charge just before departure should serve to warm the battery up before my commute. Any thoughts on this scheme.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
To make sure I have this right...

You're going to charge it up ~half way right after you arrive home in the evening, and then finish the full charge in the morning before leaving. Is that right?

I'd tend to think that's a decent strategy in case you do end up needing to run an evening errand, and also for warming the battery a bit for winter morning commutes.

But it's probably a negligible benefit for battery longevity. And, if you're on a variable rate plan or if you care about grid stability, then charging in the late afternoon/early evening is not a good time to charge.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To make sure I have this right...

You're going to charge it up ~half way right after you arrive home in the evening, and then finish the full charge in the morning before leaving. Is that right?

I'd tend to think that's a decent strategy in case you do end up needing to run an evening errand, and also for warming the battery a bit for winter morning commutes.

But it's probably a negligible benefit for battery longevity. And, if you're on a variable rate plan or if you care about grid stability, then charging in the late afternoon/early evening is not a good time to charge.
I'm not on a variable rate plan because I'm buying wind power at a flat rate. I'm set to charge at 3:30 while I'm still getting some solar power off my roof. I might hold off on charging in the afternoon when demand is very high.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Seems like a huge waste of effort for an ethereal result. Nobody has reported an undue loss of Volt battery capacity. Ever.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Seems like a huge waste of effort for an ethereal result. Nobody has reported an undue loss of Volt battery capacity. Ever.
ditto to what Loboc says. The best scheme for long term battery life is to plug it in to charge and let the car do the rest. A quote "Full charge" on the Volt is really only about 80% of its capacity. So GM has already built this into the car. The manual states that you should plug it in and leave it. That will give you the best longevity as this also keeps the battery management system working to protect the battery.

You are wasting your time. Other parts of the car will wear out or you will trade it before the traction battery loses enough capacity for you to notice.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
@mdgreenster, if you plan to go out in the evening, then do a 2 hr charge when you get home. But as others have stated, don't over think the process - just charge so it is complete before departure in the morning. I have TOU with my solar, so I don't charge in the late afternoon when the rates are highest.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Volt is already doing this for you, by only using the middle 10KWHr of Energy of your 16.5KWHr battery.

·
Registered
743 Posts
You wrote "I read that having . . ." Whoever wrote that is uninformed. Ignore what that person wrote.

Chevy knows more about their batteries than anyone and engineered the Volt to maximize battery life. They say to leave it plugged in when not in use. It never charges too much.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I also adopted this practice, and I mostly over-ride it as my schedule is erratic now.
I also think it is unnecessary, but get fuzzy happiness from knowing I can have it plugged in all the time, (for conditioning and heat/cooling), and only charging to full when I'm likely to need it.
Too much time has been on my hands, and I often over-think things, I'm Australian.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ditto to what Loboc says. The best scheme for long term battery life is to plug it in to charge and let the car do the rest. A quote "Full charge" on the Volt is really only about 80% of its capacity. So GM has already built this into the car. The manual states that you should plug it in and leave it. That will give you the best longevity as this also keeps the battery management system working to protect the battery.

You are wasting your time. Other parts of the car will wear out or you will trade it before the traction battery loses enough capacity for you to notice.
My premise was based on the degradation characteristics for 18650 cells which I know the Volt does not use but may be similar. Admittedly, any advantage would be minimal but it should do no harm. It only took a few minutes to set this up and I can plug it in and forget it and have about half a charge available for any unexpected trips in the evening. I did have to sit in the car to set it up though since the mobile app and online feature for setting this up doesn't work any more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts