GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently bought a used 2012 (no nav) and like the car very much - except for the iPhone connection to the audio system. I have an iPhone 6 (iOS 9.02) and the bluetooth connections only enables pure phone features - no music at all.
When I plug in the USB it immediately acts as an iPod and starts playing the first song it can find - which is the Apple gifted U2 album... It does this *every* time I plug it in.
The audio system never remembers what app I was using last or even that I was listening to FM. But the real pesky issue is that when I am switching to another app on the phone (podcasts, streaming radio, pandora) the audio system gets confused and stops the audio. I have to go thru the ordeal and select FM, then USB (which starts U2), then start the playback on the app. But As soon as I switch to another stream in the app there is silence again. And all that while driving...

Why is it not possible to play audio via bluetooth?

Is there a software update that can be done at the dealer or anything else?

Thanks
Markus

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The 2011/2012 Volts simply didn't have this feature when built. Bluetooth audio is a relatively new feature for automobiles. The 2013 was the first year the Volt offered blue tooth audio.This feature cannot be added on a 2012 with a software update.

Most of this issue is simply the iPhone itself. When the iPhone detects a USB connection it sends a signal to the Volt acting as an iPod if no music app is playing. Launching the Pandora app then overrides this.

You can try leaving Pandora running in the background all the time, but you may find yourself having to restart it occasionally as it gets stuck in "pause". Once again, this is an issue with the phone, not the Volt.

If you have no other music saved on the phone, use iTunes to delete all the remaining music, including the U2 songs. That will help some too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This was the ONE problem with my 2012 that made me want to upgrade. There was that, and of course every time you hook up your device it had to index (which took forever it seemed) before you could search and select what you actually wanted to listen to. You can somewhat solve this by putting a smaller amount of music you want on a USB stick, and plugging that in to the USB port itself which is what I ended up doing as a temp fix for myself. Which also solved the indexing problem as I left the USB stick always in the car.

I will say the one other thing I tried with the Volt was a bluetooth streaming FM adapter (you used to be able to get them at best buy), but those things were finicky as they broadcast on FM obviously and the signal was hit or miss. Plus on road trips you would get interference from radio stations as you passed in to different areas. So for me it was not an idea solution. If you live in a rural area it may work for you. They are usually powered by one of the 12v sockets, and have a flex arm to set your phone/iPod in to.

I will say with the U2 thing if you have iTunes installed on your computer you can go in to your account info, and your purchases section and opt for it to not automatically download purchases in to your phone. Then you can remove the U2 album from the list, and it will never auto download again. Ever since that whole debacle I have put my iTunes on manual download.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If it's any consolation, the Bluetooth audio capability in 2013- models is awfully buggy.

I'd suggest foregoing the USB connection and use the AUX input (with a mini stereo cable) instead. That way you can control song selection through the phone just like when listening through headphones.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
That explains it. I have always been able to play music on my android phone on my 2013s. Did not know the limitation was with early models. Thought it was an iPhone only issue.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's kind of dumb that even a "vintage" 2012 didn't have functional bluetooth audio. Literally hundreds of other comparable cars that date back even farther back than that have bluetooth audio. How they managed to miss implementing that is a mystery.

That said, I don't really miss it. I had bluetooth audio (that worked really well) in my 2012 FJ Cruiser, but only rarely used it, usually when my dedicated DAP ran low on power.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
If it's any consolation, the Bluetooth audio capability in 2013- models is awfully buggy.

I'd suggest foregoing the USB connection and use the AUX input (with a mini stereo cable) instead. That way you can control song selection through the phone just like when listening through headphones.
Here's the trick to getting Bluetooth to work every time on a 2013 with an iPhone. Start the car, let the phone sync, but do not touch any app which plays music until at least 30 seconds after the Bluetooth symbol appears on the center console display. Then hit play in your app (Pandora, Music, Podcasts, etc). The more of a hurry you are to get music flooring, the more you have to jump thru hoops, disconnect, reconnect, and fiddle with the settings on the phone and the radio. Hitting play at the wrong time sends it into this dome of silence mode where no audio is heard despite the phone transmitting.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2012. I finally gave up fooling with the USB connection and bought an AUX cable to plug into the headphone jack and stopped using the built in USB to charge and play music. Now I can plug my phone in to both cables and scream at Siri to play music while I'm driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would pay some dollars to get this fixed. I am 100% sure these are only bugs and it can be fixed with a firmware update.
I leased a 2011 Nissan LEAF before and the iPhone was nicely working.

If someone from the car manufacturer side is reading this: pitch a repair program with cost to your manager.

Thank you all for your suggestions!
I will buy an audio cable; a 12V USB charger I already own.

Markus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts