GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little bit of history.
I bought my 2013 Volt used in December of 2015. It was a corporate executive lease and had been extremely well cared for but had picked up a few scuffs, dings, and some curb rash on two of the rims. Still the exterior was, on the whole, in excellent shape and I wanted to keep it that way.

The first time I had a break in the winter weather I did a fast wash and then a wax with some Nu-Finish I had in the garage. Since I've never owned a black car before I didn't realize what a mistake that would be and spent the next several months removing white residue from the plastic and trim with a "magic eraser" sponge.

Eventually I decided to see what Meguiar's (a brand I've come to trust) had to offer in terms of care for a black car and found Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax

I caution you to be careful of the naming as Meguiar's has several products that are somewhat closely named.

So once the weather was warm enough (a nice day in late January) I gave my car a complete washing and then went over it with clay and detail spray to remove any old wax and prep/clean the surface. I used to think that claying was a gimmick but I'm sold on it these days especially for the nose of your car.

Application and wipe down of this product was super easy and you simply can't leave any visible white residue anyplace. I'm not exaggerating to say this was the easiest application and remove of any wax I've ever used, it's in a class by itself in that regard.

It also gave my paint job a shine and depth way beyond what I expected.

I have noticed that beading and general climate resistance seems to be very good overall though not better than any other premium wax I've used in the past. Specifically for the Volt I found that I needed to "touch up" the wax on the bottom third of the doors after a few days of driving in the rain but since that second application it's held up much better. It is now July (6 months) and the nose, sides, and back of the car are still good, but beginning to hint that they want a fresh wax job, however the hood and roof and tailgate (basically the top third of the car) are still beading like the day I applied it.

So I can't testify for use on colors other than Black, and this product is NOT cheap, but if you really want some gloss and depth to your black paint job the Ultimate Liquid Wax has been an excellent product for me.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thanks for the review - I use Meguiar's NXT 2.0 and like it, and of course some on various forums really dig Zaino and are strong advocates for that.

And yes that clay bar stuff is just a gimmick haha.... below is what the 'gimmick' removed from the surface on the lower half of my doors a couple years ago (it had been almost 100k miles since I'd done the clay bar previously, so the gunk really built up and I never should have let it go that long). One might wonder why I didn't wash the car before using the clay bar, but this *was* just after washing the car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've used clay bars and it does help to remove tar spots and grit that are not visible to the eye. I've used both Mothers and Meguiars and they do the same job. Only thing is that it takes forever to clay one vehicle (if you want to do it properly). And then there's the re-wash... and the cut, the polish, the wax. KMN

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
When you run out of wax try the polymer sealant. I used a different brand on mine (also a quality brand) and the results are better than any wax I've ever used. Not only is there a deep shine but the paint becomes very slippery. I'm noticing two things now: Rain spots are much less when it does rain and more importantly, the back of the car doesn't get dirty nearly as fast. I don't think I'll ever use a wax on the paint again, though wax is still great (and some say better than Rain-X) on the windows.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
When you run out of wax try the polymer sealant. I used a different brand on mine (also a quality brand) and the results are better than any wax I've ever used. Not only is there a deep shine but the paint becomes very slippery. I'm noticing two things now: Rain spots are much less when it does rain and more importantly, the back of the car doesn't get dirty nearly as fast. I don't think I'll ever use a wax on the paint again, though wax is still great (and some say better than Rain-X) on the windows.
OK< now we need to know what brand of polymer sealant you use. I've been using Maguire's Car Cleaner to get gunk off, then NuFinish for years, but now that my bottle has finally cracked open from being brittle (had this bottle for over a decade), I think it's time to break down and buy a new bottle of something.

To the OP, if you are struggling with getting the residue off from NuFinish, you probably applied too much. I use a damp terry cloth and a dab of NuFinish per panel to get a really light haze on the car, then wiping off is easy. I remember telling a friend to use NuFinish on her brand new car that she purchased right out of college, and she. Put way too much on causing her to have to rub like crazy to get it off. Plus she did it in the blistering hot sun - do all your waxing in the shade or at dusk.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To the OP, if you are struggling with getting the residue off from NuFinish, you probably applied too much.
It wasn't residue that was the issue, it was the white that showed up in every crack and crevice and stained the plastic trim work. White polish with a black car is a horror show.

it took me forever with q-tips and a magic eraser sponge to get it all gone.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
It wasn't residue that was the issue, it was the white that showed up in every crack and crevice and stained the plastic trim work. White polish with a black car is a horror show.

it took me forever with q-tips and a magic eraser sponge to get it all gone.
I've used a toothbrush, or a clean, soft bristle nylon brush for waxes in this case. Sometimes a soft nylon Bondo spreader comes in handy.

But I've never used NuFinish, so....

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Long Term Update

Welcome to November 2016 :)

The first coat of Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax went on in January and then we had about a week straight of horribly rainy weather and then a break during which I washed the vehicle and noted that the lower third of the car looked like it could use another wax job already. So I went over the whole thing again.

That second coat held up very well for three months until mid-april when the weather turned very nice again and I once again did a detailed car wash and noted basically the same trend which is to say that the upper 2/3 of the car still looked great but the "high wear" areas around the wheel wells and the back bumper, though still acceptable, were starting to ask for a re-apply.

A quick "clay" job and a careful re-application and this time the wax held up very well through rinsing, washing, and weather, all the way to late August (4 months) where again the only places that really looked like they needed a touch up were the lower third and the back bumper.

And here we are at November, and I'll probably wait for one more really nice day (looks like this weekend is it) and wash and wax it one more time to get through the winter.

Summary:
As mentioned before this wax/coating is a dream to apply, easy on and easy wipedown. It also seems to be pretty durable for about 3 to 3.5 months of whatever mother nature throws at it and it makes a black painted car look GOOD :)

Still recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts