GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
New to the forum. My wife and I have decided to replace one of our TDIs with a used 2013 or 2014 Volt. A question I have that search didnt turn up an answer for was the possible impact that a Volt sitting inactive on a dealer lot for 6 months or so in New Orleans heat might have on the battery. This of course isnt ideal for the ICE, but possible battery issues are new territory for us. We ask, as we have the opportunity to purchase a much lower mileage vehicle than another we were looking to buy, but the lower mileage vehicle has been sitting for an extended period of time according to the salesperson.

My guess is that we are reading into things much too much, and if anything cold would be worse for the battery than heat. I realize the 12V battery might need replacement sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you have access to OnStar data, it will show how many miles are Gas and Electric. One indication is the MPG total for the car. The higher MPG the more miles used in electric mode. Electric mode does not wear the engine. 12v battery is in the truck, easy replacement.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome to the Volt community.
Good luck making your decision.
You certainly won't be the first people to get out of a TDI into a Volt.
The battery temperature is less of an issue if it isn't being used, and they are built quite robust. It'll probably have no discernible loss of condition.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I agree with the above, and keep in mind, the battery is covered under it's own 8yr/100K warranty as well. As long as you aren't approaching the mileage limit you should have plenty of time to note any changes and have them addressed. That said, there is little information on people having had to have the entire battery replaced (once that I understand) and a couple with partial replacement. All in all, I wouldn't use the battery as a means to dissuade you on the purchase. Remember, the volt relies primarily on the traction motor to move which means even if the engine is on when the car is being driven, it's acting mainly as a generator to provide electricity to drive the vehicle and will also maintain a minimal charge (15% or so) in the battery. The bigger concern would be the 12V battery as mentioned, which might be something to negotiate into the deal for replacement since 3 years seems to be the magic number for replacement.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
After previously owning two MkV TDIs, I would have been more concerned with them sitting for six months, rather than a Volt that sat. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you've been lurking around the forum you might have caught on that the largest issue with the battery is user confusion. The car's attempts to give you useful information in spite of science getting in the way with its pesky facts can sometimes make the unwary user twitch when the numbers seem to be different.

The battery pack is most at stress when left for long periods near full charge or empty, which is why most devices with Lithium-ion batteries come charged half way. The cars battery management has proven its life saver though and it has buffers on both ends--full and empty--so that one would have to work at it to leave the batteries stressed. The heat should only matter if the vehicle is running and the Volt has good thermal management while it is running so heat shouldn't be an issue.

The 2013-2014 batteries should still be covered though, so you're safe to take the step toward nirvana.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've read that there have been issues with moisture getting into the oil in the ICE from it not being used at temperature frequently enough. For a low-mileage vehicle that's 5 years old and has been sitting idle for 6 months...at a minimum, I'd say have them change the oil, drive the car in 'hold' mode for about 20-40 minutes and then change the oil again. Then have the dealer change the 12v battery and call it good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the matter. We pulled the trigger on 2013 Carmax sold Volt. Thank goodness we used Carmax, because as much as we liked the car and rapidly fell in love with its features over a few days, the center console quickly started displaying erratic behavior (6 restarts in a period of 15 minutes), rendering it essentially unusable. Now, it could have just been a flaky 12V battery, but I've also read other issues with what seem to be balky 2013 electronics compared to other model years. So back it went under their 5 day return. We are now again in a holding pattern and saving up likely for a new 2017, or at least a 2015 Gen 1. We'll get there eventually, it really is the perfect commuter for my family's needs and complements our Outback really well.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rough start as a first time Volt owner. I have a '13 and fortunately no issues related to the center stack. I do have a concern that I MIGHT address when I take it in for service, but overall I have really nothing other than positive remarks on the car. There are a lot of good deals to be had, so just keep looking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear about your rough start as a first time Volt owner. I have a '13 and fortunately no issues related to the center stack. I do have a concern that I MIGHT address when I take it in for service, but overall I have really nothing other than positive remarks on the car. There are a lot of good deals to be had, so just keep looking.
Thanks and good to hear. I have no doubt that overall the 2013s are very reliable. We just got a bad copy, I'm not one to jump off the deep end, perhaps it is the PhD scientist in me that needs reproducible results/observations before drawing deep conclusions. We shall be a Volt family, just might take us a bit more time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, and random anecdote. I used to think a TDI VW was the ideal professor car, but now I think the Volt might be, especially for a science prof. Just seems to fit a certain stereotype.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The first thing I would have suspected when the center console rebooted multiple times would be the 12V battery. But now it's someone else's problem to fix. I have a 2013, it has never had this problem but I am thinking it is about time to replace the 12V battery, just to be proactive.

The Volt seems to also appeal to engineer types (I am one). In my case it was admiration for the efficient design. And GM seems to have spared no expense on the engineering side to make sure everything is well integrated. The transition from normal (EV) mode to hold (ICE) mode (and back) is very good. I know from experience that these things don't happen without a lot of work to get it right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh, and random anecdote. I used to think a TDI VW was the ideal professor car, but now I think the Volt might be, especially for a science prof. Just seems to fit a certain stereotype.
Do you already have the tweed jacket? ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The first thing I would have suspected when the center console rebooted multiple times would be the 12V battery. But now it's someone else's problem to fix. I have a 2013, it has never had this problem but I am thinking it is about time to replace the 12V battery, just to be proactive.

The Volt seems to also appeal to engineer types (I am one). In my case it was admiration for the efficient design. And GM seems to have spared no expense on the engineering side to make sure everything is well integrated. The transition from normal (EV) mode to hold (ICE) mode (and back) is very good. I know from experience that these things don't happen without a lot of work to get it right.
Good to know my battery thoughts weren't out there. I know my old Ford Focus would get down right strange as a battery began to die.

Yes, the engineering is simply amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hahaha, good one. Thank goodness those are for a different generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strangely, my best friend from HS, is now a 50-something Harris tweed-wearing professor type, who used to drive a VW TDI, but now drives a Volvo wagon, back in the day was a Tahoe ski bum who was invited to join the US freestyle ski team. Who knows, when you get older, you may start wearing Tweed too.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Try corduroy -- from another (non-science) professor.

By the way, sorry to hear of the '13 issue. I think there were some beat '13s made. Mine has had every single known '13 issue. I think if you start with one issue, you get them all with this build. Other years are more solid. But darn it LOOKS good at least.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a '13. Only problem that has bugged me is a broken lock switch in the console, sticky charge port door, center console has rebooted maybe 3 times, and heat has not turned on a couple times. I love the car, will never go back to anything less than a plug in hybrid with this kind of range

·
Registered
51 Posts
you might check if Carvana services New Orleans. i purchased a 2013 from them in November and I couldn't be happier with the car or the buying process. last fall they had ample supply as many were just coming off lease. at the time Carvana's prices were much better than Carmax. it's a leap of faith to buy a car online but it was well worth it for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts