GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I bought a 2012 in Jan. We love the car so much were thinking about getting another. I have been looking at used 2011s. Instead of leasing, even though the deals are great, we really put miles on our cars. 18k plus a year. We would save about $300 in gas getting a second volt as my wife spends over that each month, and would be able to charge during the day between errands. (i.e. use more than 10kw a day).

Anything in particular to avoid?
- The obvious, no "flood" or salvaged titles
- Accident reports (Hopefully carfax would work here).
- Any major issues with 2011 versus early 2012? One that I particularly like has a very low vin, or appears that way on the center console. (This is different than my 2012, no # in lower right corner on the start-up screen)
- Any cause for concern if the battery pack was replaced?
- Would a low or high lifetime mileage be better? (i.e. lower mileage, less wear on the battery pack, more on the engine..??)
- Does the initial 5 year on-star stay with the car? Since it's used, would I be able to get the reminder of the original 5 year subscription?
-Do the 2011's with nav and bose come with a backup camera/sensor or was that an option?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
109 Posts
- Any major issues with 2011 versus early 2012? One that I particularly like has a very low vin, or appears that way on the center console. (This is different than my 2012, no # in lower right corner on the start-up screen)
- Any cause for concern if the battery pack was replaced?
- Would a low or high lifetime mileage be better? (i.e. lower mileage, less wear on the battery pack, more on the engine..??)
- Does the initial 5 year on-star stay with the car? Since it's used, would I be able to get the reminder of the original 5 year subscription?
-Do the 2011's with nav and bose come with a backup camera/sensor or was that an option?

I purchased a used 2011 instead of a new 2012 back in March. When I looked at the differences between the 2011s and 2012s the differences seemed minor to me.

* Yes, the 2011s have the last four digits of the VIN on the lower right corner of the start-up screen.

* I am under the impression that my OnStar continues from the previous owner (but please verify this).

* The Bose radio was standard in the 2011. I believe there were only three options for the 2011s (a) the (Nav + Backup Camera), (leather seats + heated seats), and (diferent wheels) (mine has all three of these).

Perhaps some of the used 2011s were from the fire-fear buy-back program.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Share please. I'm looking for a 2nd too - preferably a clearance 2011.

·
Registered
847 Posts
There are at least 4 buybacks at auction on eBay. Although the "Egads, my car is going to explode!" buybacks should be fine, there have been a few lemons that were bought back (I'm not sure whether or not GM auctions those ones off, though).

Something else to remember is that 2011s include OnStar for 5 years. Also, 2011s do not have the remote keyless entry system (you have to press a button on the remote to unlock the door).

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Watched an interview with Bob Lutz done at his house and the Volt he own's was one of the buy-back cars, he said he got a really GOOD DEAL on it. I'm sure he did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Watched an interview with Bob Lutz done at his house and the Volt he own's was one of the buy-back cars, he said he got a really GOOD DEAL on it. I'm sure he did.
Yeah, I'm finding that some of them are either test cars and/or have a salvage title.

I do plan on keeping the car for a while, so not sure how the "salvage title" would affect resale in 7-10 years or how comfortable the salvage title.

·
Registered
718 Posts
whats the going price for a used 2011?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just bought a GM tester vehicle, 2011 #509. It had 26k on it. It has no warrantee so I'm crossing my fingers. If the dealer has a tester, it will have stickers saying so on the owners manual and on the glove compartment as well, at least mine did. If it was a battery buy back I'm not sure how to tell. If it was a lemon law buy back it should have a lemon title in its history when you do a title search. I've seen one of these, maybe that's what they'd classify a battery buy back? Almost all of the cheap(er) 2011s in the Chicago,Wisconsin,michigan area are testers from what I can tell from title searches: Salvage titles with one owner, then a manufacturer's title issued. Usually titled in Detroit area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts