GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! I am new to this forum, but have been researching Volts for a few months now and am ready to buy. I have my eye on a 2013 Used Volt, but I was wondering what your thoughts were on the necessity of an extended warranty. Is it something I should look into adding on when I make the purchase? Do you have any suggestions on price and/or negotiating power?

Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.

- Rhianna

·
4,885 Posts
Welcome, the Volt is an awesome car, it's hard to not get addicted to the silent electric drive.

How much mileage does the Volt have? The vehicle comes with an 8 year, 100,000 mile Voltec warranty. Personally, as long as you have a fair amount of mileage remaining on that, I wouldn't worry much about an extended warranty. Unless you would normally get an extended warranty on a "normal" car. The extended warranty is really only for those bumper-bumper type items that aren't unique to the Volt.

So if you would normally get an extended warranty, go for it. But if it's the "volt speciifc" technology you're concerned about, that's covered by the 8 year 100,000 warranty that is likely still in effect on your car, barring high mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply! The 2013 only has 8k miles on it, so it sounds like no extended warranty is needed.

·
4,885 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply! The 2013 only has 8k miles on it, so it sounds like no extended warranty is needed.
You're welcome! As one data point, I just bought my wife a 2012 Volt at the end of 2015, to go with the 2013 I already had. It had 13,000 miles, and I didn't opt for an extended warranty either. I'm confident in the car's general quality, and the 8 year/100k warranty has all the "new cutting edge" components covered, more or less. So far so good. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Side question: does the dash screen and the center console screen dim at night? Does the center console screen stay on all the time while driving, or does it turn off until you push buttons? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The displays dim down -some- when the dashboard sensor notices it's getting dark. Not just at night but also sometimes just if it's really overcast and fairly dim outside. For me it doesn't quite dim enough so I use the dial to the left of the steering wheel (on the dash) to dial it down more to my own preferred level. Then again this has been true for almost every car I've ever owned.

The panels stay on, they don't go dark.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There are a couple threads on this forum that have polls about how many have extended warranties. I think it was around 27 percent of volt owners have them. I agree with the above posts and did not purchase one. Out of the ones that purchased them, very few used them and many repairs cost less than the extended warranty.
I guess what ever makes you comfortable. Most are comfortable with 100k warranty of the voltec stuff.
Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
FWIW, I like the comfort of having a warranty on my cars because I've always had to utilize the warranty for small repairs on my cars, every single one. I've had a Cadillac, Pontiac, Ford, Dodge, Jeep and now this Chevy (Volt). I've already utilized the Volt's CPO warranty for replacing a broken cargo cover clip, repairing a seatbelt mechanism, weatherstripping and bluetooth issue (required software update) and I've only had the car for a little over 1 month.

They typically aren't big ticket items, but the warranty has always come in handy. Call me picky, paranoid, whatever, but that's my preference to have one. It is really personal preference as some people don't want to spend the extra money for a CPO or extended warranty, but if it's a hassle-free warranty that allows you to take the car into the dealership with zero questions asked, then I think it's typically worth it.

I will not purchase a warranty through the dealership though, since I think they overcharge. I've always either found a solid warranty option myself or bought CPO (preferred).

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The displays dim down -some- when the dashboard sensor notices it's getting dark. Not just at night but also sometimes just if it's really overcast and fairly dim outside. For me it doesn't quite dim enough so I use the dial to the left of the steering wheel (on the dash) to dial it down more to my own preferred level. Then again this has been true for almost every car I've ever owned.

The panels stay on, they don't go dark.
Perfect, thank you!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Are the federal and state (Colorado) incentives only for buying new, not used?
CO tax credits for residents apply to all qualifying vehicles never registered here. Our 2015 CO tax filing required copies of our Colorado driver licenses to prove residency. Federal credit is only for new.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CO tax credits for residents apply to all qualifying vehicles never registered here. Our 2015 CO tax filing required copies of our Colorado driver licenses to prove residency. Federal credit is only for new.
Thank you for your reply. Do you know how I would be able to tell if it was registered in Colorado before - would it show in the Carfax? Also, do you know where I could find out what the CO tax credits are? Thank you!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Do you know how I would be able to tell if it was registered in Colorado before - would it show in the Carfax? Also, do you know where I could find out what the CO tax credits are? Thank you!
carfax will show each registration. I bought a used '13 in Jan that had never been registered in CO before so I'm planning on the credit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Volt warranty.

The Volt also comes with a 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty. If ANYTHING needs to be repaired or replaced, unless it's been damaged in and accident of some kind, the bumper to bumper warranty will cover it. Have fun with your Volt. I absolutely love mine!

·
Registered
502 Posts
do you know where I could find out what the CO tax credits are? Thank you!
Colorado Tax Credits

As a plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) purchaser, you are eligible for up to $7,500 in Federal and $6,000 in Colorado tax credits. Colorado allows an income tax credit to taxpayers who have purchased an alternative fuel vehicle, converted a motor vehicle to use an alternative fuel, or have replaced a vehicle's power source with an alternative fuel power source.

Here is a simple guide showing how to calculate your state tax credit and how to claim your federal.

STATE OF COLORADO

1. HB 13-1247 restructured the method for determining electric vehicle tax credits in Colorado, but it also extended these credits through the year 2021. The new formula is very simple for calculating the credit amount you would receive for your electric vehicle, and is as follows:

(Purchase price or sum of lease payments X battery capacity in kWh) ÷ 100 = State credit amount

Our credit was $4,358.45

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Howdy! I am new to this forum, but have been researching Volts for a few months now and am ready to buy. I have my eye on a 2013 Used Volt, but I was wondering what your thoughts were on the necessity of an extended warranty. Is it something I should look into adding on when I make the purchase? Do you have any suggestions on price and/or negotiating power?

Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.

- Rhianna
My thoughts are I use the $$ auto companies have spent on research. I choose to not pay for extended warranties for ANYTHING I buy, much less a vehicle. Odds are very much in the favor of me never using it or certainly not coming close to the cost of the warranty.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone! I have never belonged to such a helpful and welcoming community, so I appreciate all of the answers and assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts