GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I've been looking to purchase 2013 or 14 volt for last month or so. Coming form 25 year old volvo wagon to modern electric car is very overwhelming, but with new baby,, it's time to upgrade the transportation. So far, from month of research, consumers opinion in either a dream car to have or typical GM nightmare.. Nothing in between. with that in mind. Should i be looking for dealer CPO volts or private or pre-owned non dealer volt??
I live in sunny Los Angeles area, and with my 25 miles commute, volt might be a perfect car. Any advice or opinion would be much appreciated, thank you

·
8,680 Posts
The Volt is a great car. I've never had an iota of real trouble from mine (one console button stopped responding after 3 years, fixed in 20 minutes with parts from EBay,) and that's true of most of the folks here. It's only got a mixed reputation because certain parties went to great lengths to blacken its name.

The rear seats are fairly tight - you'll want to see how your favorite car seats fit into them (I know a number of folks use carseats with the Volt, maybe they can chime in?)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thats a good question, some on here will say to get extended warranty because who knows about the battery since its still new tech, others will say there are cars at 300k+ that are running great. So its all what you feel comfortable with. I have not purchased yet but have tried to put a value to the CPO 12month/12k bumper to bumper and 6year/100k, powertrain warranty its pretty tempting.

In my personal opinion depending on the price of the car I would value to CPO value around $1,000. If you have a family and would rather avoid immediate concerns look CPO... If you hate extended warranties and insurance pass. I plan to go CPO if I can get it for a reasonable price. LA should have plenty of volts check cars.com, I recommend find one with HOV stickers, could be more valuable to you than CPO.

For more CPO info.
http://www.chevrolet.com/certified-pre-owned.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
Definitely check the child car seat fit. A guy at work and his wife are tall and are unable to fit their car seat in the back and still be comfortable up front. Otherwise, the car has not had the usual GM quality issues. My 2013 has not had any issues that were not pro-actively addressed during routine maintenance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our 25 year old Volvo is sitting in the driveway next to the '13 Volt I bought a couple of weeks ago, immediately after returning home from the most recent towing of the Volvo. This after two years of overthinking this problem.

The Volt we bought was from a random dealer, the product of a 5 minute search on Autotrader with the specs "white, 13-15." I did spend some time prior to this occasionally checking prices.

The Volt is absolutely fabulous, so good it's confusing.

As to the rear seat, I'd call the vehicle an emptying-nest choice. While headroom in front is excellent, our 6'4" son is not really practical to fold into the rear. Anybody more reasonably sized will do OK for typical around-town, the smaller the farther.

Prices seem good now. Seize the day.

No Volvos will be harmed here; the '90 will be repaired and saved because like all bricks of any size you never know when it'll come in handy.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If you can spring for it, you might be able to find a crazy deal on any remaining "new" 15s that might still be sitting around. I'm on the East Coast, but a quick search revealed a few new 15s within an hour drive. When factoring the $7500 tax credit, if you qualify, and California rebates, you might be not far from a CPO.

I bought a CPO--once. My experience with the car itself was (eventually) OK. However, some CPOs are just slapped onto vehicles as a cost-hiker without any significant maintenance or upgrading. Mine had enough issues that were obviously deferred maintenance items that should have been "fixed" before becoming a CPO. I view the CPO as essentially nothing more than a warranty extender, and it's often a bad deal.

With the great deals and incentives on a new Volt, though, I would seriously look into buying new. With any CPO--no matter the car--you really need to do your homework to ensure you're not getting someone else's problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same spot myself and been meaning to post the same question, so I guess I'll just jump into this one. :)

This is what I'm thinking --either way the drive train warranty transfers over. I confirmed that by talking to a Volt advisor (an idea that came to me after hours of reading on the forum; this forum really does have SO much info and good advice). The drivetrain/battery is really what most are worried about but, again the warranty is good no matter what.

What does the CPO get you? OnStar trial, SiriusXM trial, 12mo/12K bumper-to bumper, road-side assistance, free loaner if needed (I assume that's what "courtesy transportation" means?) and the 172 point inspection for an extra "feel good" that a CPO car got more than a quick look and run through the car wash before the sticker got slapped on.

OnStar - never had it in a vehicle so I'm not overly excited about. Looks like a geewhiz item to me. I can get a bluetooth ODB scanner for my phone to get CEL codes. The code thing seems like the useful gimmick for OnStar and there's a simple option for that.

SiriusXM - again never had it and personally don't see the need. I know a lot of people do but I don't. We've always got the local radio on or pack a pile of CDs for road trips. The Volt radio would let us substitute digital files (phone/USB) for the CDs, right?

Road-side assistance - this is one that might actually be worth it. Seems that I see a lot of 'got towed' posts here. But maybe a couple of years worth of AAA service could serve the purpose for less than the CPO premium?

The free loaner, if that's what it is, isn't a big deal for me either. We're keeping the current vehicle because we need a tow vehicle for a small boat (occasional) and a small utility trailer (fairly often). So I've got a backup vehicle if I need it. (Plus the boss provides me a vehicle which is really my daily driver - the Volt would be her daily and our general weekend driver.)

That leaves the 12/12 bumper to bumper and the feel good inspection still un-evaluated. Is the 12/12 really a big consideration given the vehicle probably has 20K+ miles on it already? Most of the little things would likely have been found and taken care of?

FWIW, cars.com as of today is showing 10 Volts within 100 miles with less than 40K miles and less than $17K - all 2013s. That's pretty much my mileage/$ parameters. 3 of those are CPO. Actually, the 5th cheapest is a CPO under 20K miles and only $1700 more than the cheapest one with 39K miles. Obviously, that would be the best deal depending on any options present. (The 4 most expensive cars are not CPO and in the 32-35K mile range. I can't figure the pricing - the CPOs are sitting in the middle and non-CPO cars with more mileage are quite a bit more expensive. Plus I've seen cars with a lot more mileage as CPO for about the same dollars. Most of these are at GM, if not Chevy dealers, and I'm pretty sure just about all of these dealers have a Chevy lot down the road, e.g., Joe's Toyota has Joe's Buick on the other side of town and Joe's Chevy 3 miles further.)

Well, that's a awful lot for my first post so I'll stop now.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You never really know what you are getting with a used car. A CPO Volt from a Chevy dealer is one way to reduce the risk of getting a bad car. Personally, I think it is worth the extra $$ to get a CPO car. The 2013 cars had several potential quirks that if not already addressed could be expensive to fix, the ones that comes to mind are the heater problem and the steering problem (which may already be covered by an extended warranty). I think the 2014 and 2015's have most, if not all, of the issues ironed out. I know that our 2014 has been 100% trouble free. Good luck. Take your time; there are a lot of used Volts out there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a CPO Volt. It helps to know that the car came to me with no issues. In addition, I got a steal on an extended warranty that covers the hybrid components beyond 100,000 miles. It's worth it. I had to have mine towed out of mud after a bad storm and roadside covered that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was fortunate to locate a fully-loaded 2013 Volt Premium that is CPO. The Volt had more than 56,000 miles, so it was out of warranty. The CPO designation provides a bumper-to-bumper warranty for 12 month/12,000 miles - which I'm going to have to use to get the Chevy dealer to fix or replace the wobbly side-view mirror on the passenger side. And the Voltec drivetrain and battery is covered for 10 years/150,000 miles in California.

The price I got it at was less than other non-CPO 2012-2013 Volts from greater-LA area Chevy dealers and local independent used cars dealers. I am very pleased with the Volt (I graduated from a 2014 Spark EV) and the deal I was able to reach with the Chevy dealer.

I would have settled for a non-CPO Volt premium if I could get one at a lower price, but I could not get a better overall deal. The OnStar and SiriusXM trial periods are nice; and I'll probably keep the SiriusXM (if they continue to provide a $5.99 per month deal for 5 months - I have to threaten to cancel their service every 5 months to get this monthly price).

The one big negative on my Volt is that it didn't come with the green HOV decals; so i'm watching our State Assembly and AB 1964 (Bloom) in Sacramento which, if signed by the Governor, will authorize additional HOV decals.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
When I bought my 2012 last November, it was CPO. I did it because there were very few available then locally by private sellers.
This was on a Chevy dealer lot and the CPO price was in line with others around anyway. The only thing CPO helped with was having my wind buffeting mirror kit installed, other than that it will be up shortly and I doubt it will be used.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought a Cadillac Certified Pre Owned in the past. I was given a warrantee better than the new car would have had. Car had 9000 miles. Car was in perfect condition to start. I did have a couple small issues and the dealer took care of it.

Consider the CPO in the purchase price and if it makes sense there it is nice to have compared to buying from a private seller with no backup for example.

·
Registered
2013 Diamond White
379 Posts
hello, I've been looking to purchase 2013 or 14 volt for last month or so. Coming form 25 year old volvo wagon to modern electric car is very overwhelming, but with new baby,, it's time to upgrade the transportation. So far, from month of research, consumers opinion in either a dream car to have or typical GM nightmare.. Nothing in between. with that in mind. Should i be looking for dealer CPO volts or private or pre-owned non dealer volt??
I live in sunny Los Angeles area, and with my 25 miles commute, volt might be a perfect car. Any advice or opinion would be much appreciated, thank you
I don't know what you mean by typical GM nightmare. There may have been poor quality 27 years ago but this is certainly no longer the case. GM cars consistently win JD Powers awards for quality. Since retirement, I have purchased a GM Envoy, a Cadillac SRS, a Buick Enclave, and Volt. All reliable, enjoyable products. The idea that the Volt is the only GM car with quality and reliability is absurd.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Ok, here is how I view CPO. Typically, you get a car that has supposedly been checked in many ways. Most dealers do this regardless as they don't want to sell a car this is un-roadworthy. Stick with a reputable dealer and this is solved already. Generally with CPO you get 12 month warranty (depends though as there is no clear standard to CPO). Generally, a CPO will add about 1k to the price of a car (although that varies too). I would suggest this instead unless CPO is included and you can find no general increase over the general market.

Put 1k in a "O crap" fund. Leave it there for repairs. Buy a nice used Volt from a reputable dealer with great reviews and no problems with the BBB. Use your Volt as intended. If a repair comes that is not covered under any type of GM warranty, then dig into the 1k. If the 1k is never needed, then use it towards your next car purchase.

I don't like "prepaying" for a repair that may never happen. This is very different from insurance on a home or a car. It is more like paying in case your washer breaks down or the refrigerator quits.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I bought a Cadillac Certified Pre Owned in the past. I was given a warrantee better than the new car would have had. Car had 9000 miles. Car was in perfect condition to start. I did have a couple small issues and the dealer took care of it.

Consider the CPO in the purchase price and if it makes sense there it is nice to have compared to buying from a private seller with no backup for example.
Out of curiosity, what are the details of the CPO warranty you received?
How was it better than the GM warranty included with a new car?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought my 2013 last year as a CPO. It had 19k on it, and I've put 12k on it since. Not one problem.

CPO also means the car can't have been in any major accidents. I think they really are cherries. They don't want problems so they really go the extra mile on inspections.

My car still had some of it's original warranty on it, so they ADDED 12k to it, which gives me over two years. The only thing I've done is replace the crappy OEM tires that were worn on the edges (despite 44 psi) with new ones. Brakes will last a long time because they're used much less due to the regen braking. Likewise, the engine is not used nearly as much. There's less mechanical stuff to go wrong, though plenty of electronics. I believe the electronics are quite robust and much of it is covered by the Voltec warranty anyway.

I was given the balance of the new car OnStar subscription, plus 3 months. Pretty useless except as a toy. In the winter I used to pre-start the car before work, but I can walk to the window and do the same thing with the fob. It lets me know when the car is finished charging, but I have a running estimate in my head anyway. It's kind of cool but I would never PAY for it.

I'm an empty-nester so never use the backseat. The car is perfect for me because my commute is 17 miles each way and I have free charging at work. I've driven it from the DC area to Knoxville and it's a great road car, once you get used the mind-of-it's-own engine revs.

A big bonus for me is that the original owner was on this site so I had all the car's real history.

There are few (affordable) cooler cars you can buy. If you like to geek-out, you'll be happy. If you like to just press the button and go, you'll be happy. If you like to race Corvettes, you'll be unhappy. The car is eerily quiet, efficient, comfortable, low maintenance, and stands out.

XM: If you like Xm, it's nice to get some free months, but when it's up, you'll have to do what I did if you don't want it: Block several phone numbers because they won't stop calling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you all for quick responses. Call me old school, but not knowing what's under the hood and not being able to fix my self, kind of scares me. My old volvo is so simple to fix and maintain myself, it's most HONEST car i've ever owned. Love my Olga (name of 240 wagon) , she's staying with us. But I see that the future of electric motoring is upon us, and wanted to join the party. I've considered prius, but built quality compare to Volt is like comparing japanese made cars from 90's to GM cars. Volt is far superior in every way. Good to see that GM and Ford is bouncing back. I gonna start looking for nice CPO's, since i don't know anything about electric components of volt, it may give me peace of mind having baby in the back. As to car seats, we tried them at the dealer and it's lil tight but fits fine for my baby. Again, thank you all.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When I bought my 2012 last November, it was CPO. I did it because there were very few available then locally by private sellers.
This was on a Chevy dealer lot and the CPO price was in line with others around anyway. The only thing CPO helped with was having my wind buffeting mirror kit installed, other than that it will be up shortly and I doubt it will be used.
I also bought CPO and was able to get the buffeting kit installed for no charge. I plan on purchasing an extended warranty before the CPO warranty ends.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
thank you all for quick responses. Call me old school, but not knowing what's under the hood and not being able to fix my self, kind of scares me.
I sure can understand that. I have an old Jeep Cherokee which I'm hanging on to. But at some point something in my brain finally said "I give up, I'm going to LEAP and see what happens".

I've considered prius, but built quality compare to Volt is like comparing japanese made cars from 90's to GM cars. Volt is far superior in every way.
I agree completely, I'm not one to bash other cars/brands/etc. I tend to take things on their own merits, but I was genuinely surprised when I drove a co-worker's Prius as detailed in this post.

I've also seen some hellacious crashes involving Volts... and the car does a pretty amazing job of protecting it's occupants.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have a 2012. CPO from a Chevy dealership. Had 22K miles on it, 10 months of original 3/36K miles warranty remaining when purchased. Chevy included 1 Y/12K miles more bumper to bumper, 3 mos XM, some period of free On Star, and 4 oil changes/tire rotations within first 2Y / 24K miles.

I bought the GMPP (extended warranty) - covers car's major components until almost 100K miles or 6 yrs. I am happy I purchased the warranty. Why? It is not a car, it is a 3,500 lb computer that goes 100 mph.

Would I buy another Chevy CPO? Yes
Would I buy the GMPP again? Yes
Would I buy another Volt if this one went kaput? Yes
Would I buy another Volt if it was not CPO? Never

1 - 20 of 21 Posts