GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
8,680 Posts
The cheapest one on cars.com is $58k. Might make a good deal, if you can be sure of support if any of the thousand bits breaks...

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm thinking the Karma may end up as a collectible, though I'd be wary of getting one that got destroyed during Sandy (though didn't those end up burning?). They really should opensource its software and publish its electrical specs so it can be repaired and upgraded.

1,214 Posts
Why Adarondax, Why?

As used car deals go, this is one to make you think twice. Used Fisker Karmas, which sold for $103,000 just a year ago as new models, are now being sold for roughly half price. In some cases, those trying to sell the luxury extended-range electric car on eBay cannot even get bids above $50,000.
Adarondax, you have been a major influence to me over the years since this forum began. I can't for the life of me understand how you could fall for such a shoddily written story. We long time proEVCyber types have spent uncountable hours online battling the Swarms of antiEVZombies and antiEVTrolls that pollute cyberspace and here you, a major sustainability driving advocate lead with the inaccurate byline that you have.

I have deleted the link in my responce to you so as not to be search bot tied to it going foreward.

Frankly, no lender takes any validity into insidental bid resullts on EBay. With more then 65% of the general public unaware of what a zFisker is except for what they have seen on fox news or drudge a open aucttion on EBay doesn't amount to much

On the other hand, a reckless byline such as yours can perpetulate such disinformation.

While the Fisker Karma used car spec buyer is accurate in his account of coming across a few great deals among some affluent early invrstors, these events are individual and rare and will NOT effect the overall market value of the available Fisker Karmas giong foreward.

NaySayers abound and yes, I do educate them daily. I wish that you had not fallen into their trap with that inacurate and damaging title to your OP.

Fisker has been dogged by the worst case of Corporate Murphys Law I have ever seen.
Don't count them out yet.
In closing, always use 2-5 sourses before you run with a rumor screeming byline. We have this responcibility ss Cyber Authors

A simple look on Auto Trader- Any Miles search would of caused you to dismiss this article as NOT WORTH SPREADING-

http://m.autotrader.com/searchResul...fuel=Alternative&trans=&keywords=fisker+karma

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

517-622-6081

@AmazingChevVolt

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just looked on Ebay at the Completed Listings for both the Karma and the Volt. 34 completed Volt listings ( 2 were old trucks,
not Volts ) Only TWO sold. $21.5K, and, $23K.
54 Completed Fisker Listings, SIX sold, ranging from $51.8K to $65K. For a DEAD car, it is selling at a higher return, higher
percentage sold, and, higher dollar amount than the Volt.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
If you buy it, who would be servicing this car if you have issue on electronics or mechanical problem?
THere are multi-vendor dealers out there. The Fisker dealership I'm aware of in Delaware has 3-4 other brands for sale. There's a chance that they would certainly service a Fisker in their service department since they were a Fisker dealership - even if the company is out of business. The engine is from GM and the batteries are still from A123 (now called B456 ?). Not sure if warranty claims can be covered but for-fee repairs are probably possible. Get ready to spend $thousands for major work, though.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Last I heard dealers have not been getting reimbursed for warrantee work for quite some time, so repairs are pretty much out of pocket.
Part availability may also be an issue, however the remaining dealers, techs and owners are working together to get parts where needed.

This may change, hopefully for the better, once they finally pull the trigger and declare bankruptcy. Don't know why they haven't yet.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I'm thinking the Karma may end up as a collectible, though I'd be wary of getting one that got destroyed during Sandy (though didn't those end up burning?). They really should opensource its software and publish its electrical specs so it can be repaired and upgraded.
Anything that was damaged during sandy would have had to have been crushed to claim the insurance. That's usually the way the insurance companies work.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Keeping this from my wife!

A few weeks ago I mentioned to my wife that getting a Karma as a collector investment might not be a bad idea. To my surprise she jumped all over it. (Funny how a zero interest rate environment affects your view of investments. LOL) I talked her out of it because we're not set up for more than the two cars we have and I'd prefer not to revisit the idea with the Karma at a lower price.

However, I do think the Karma will turn out to be more valuable with time. The car has killer great looks and there just hasn't been very many of them made, which is always a big draw. Hmmmmm.......... I may be talking myself into this!

·
Banned
75 Posts
...or, we can simply revert back to our old bad habits (about 12MPG):

Road & Track said:
...the four-door Destino is a Fisker Karma that’s been stripped of its extended-range electric drivetrain and [re] fitted with the 638 hp supercharged V8 from a Chevrolet Corvette ZR1.

Designed by VL Automotive, a Michigan-based collaboration between investor Gilbert Villereal and former General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, the Destino aims to bring the high style of the Karma to sports sedan customers more interested in speed than zero emissions driving.
~ http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/go-news-fisker-troubles-no-issue-for-vl-destino

BTW, this is a $95,000 conversion if one already owns a Karma. $185K if not.

Instead of calling this the V8 Destino, it should be branded the KompensationS

·
Registered
466 Posts
Why are so many folks selling low mile Fiskers..?
Disappointed in something, or trying to bail before BK and a possible bigger drop in value?
I sure would love to have one, but not at $75k...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Adarondax, you have been a major influence to me over the years since this forum began. I can't for the life of me understand how you could fall for such a shoddily written story. We long time proEVCyber types have spent uncountable hours online battling the Swarms of antiEVZombies and antiEVTrolls that pollute cyberspace and here you, a major sustainability driving advocate lead with the inaccurate byline that you have.

I have deleted the link in my responce to you so as not to be search bot tied to it going foreward.

Frankly, no lender takes any validity into insidental bid resullts on EBay. With more then 65% of the general public unaware of what a zFisker is except for what they have seen on fox news or drudge a open aucttion on EBay doesn't amount to much

On the other hand, a reckless byline such as yours can perpetulate such disinformation.

While the Fisker Karma used car spec buyer is accurate in his account of coming across a few great deals among some affluent early invrstors, these events are individual and rare and will NOT effect the overall market value of the available Fisker Karmas giong foreward.

NaySayers abound and yes, I do educate them daily. I wish that you had not fallen into their trap with that inacurate and damaging title to your OP.

Fisker has been dogged by the worst case of Corporate Murphys Law I have ever seen.
Don't count them out yet.
In closing, always use 2-5 sourses before you run with a rumor screeming byline. We have this responcibility ss Cyber Authors

A simple look on Auto Trader- Any Miles search would of caused you to dismiss this article as NOT WORTH SPREADING-

http://m.autotrader.com/searchResul...fuel=Alternative&trans=&keywords=fisker+karma

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

517-622-6081

@AmazingChevVolt

I respect your strong feelings and thank you for following my posts. I re-read the article. It was from NBC News, a frequently reliable source. Perhaps the headline should have read "Some Used Karmas Selling for 50¢ on the Dollar." I checked online and see used Karmas selling for $70K with some as cheap as $60K. I agree Fisker has had unbelievable bad luck since its inception. It is a beautiful car but as someone who has actually driven one, it could use some improvement. It is strikingly beautiful. But try to squeeze into one. The door opening is small and poorly located relative to the seat. Furthermore the Karma's huge exterior belies a tiny interior, nicely appointed as it may be. Take a look at the LCD display. It is as busy as CNBC or the Bloomberg channel. This doesn't take into consideration its EREV technology. As for recklessly perpetuating disinformation, that was not my intent. I found the article thought-provoking. Many low-mileage used Karmas are for sale at a substantial discount off the new car price. 65¢ on the dollar may be closer than the headlined 50¢ on-the-dollar but that's a quibble. Once you get past the car's looks, $70K is a more realistic price for it.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If you're ever bored, get an insurance quote on one...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts