GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That's the debate I'm in.

My commute to work (round trip) is 60 miles, almost all freeway driving at 75-80 mph.

So the Gen II Volt ends up getting about 40 miles of electric before switching to gas.

The i3 should be able to make the entire journey on electric.

The i3's with the REX are going for 20-22k. But I know I can lease a new nicely equipped Premier '17 Volt for ~350 a month.

So do I purchase a used i3 and drive 100% electric or lease a new Gen II Volt and know that I can only get 2/3 of my commute EV?

·
Registered
679 Posts
That's the debate I'm in.
My commute to work is 60 miles, almost all freeway driving at 75-80 mph.
So the Gen II Volt ends up getting about 40 miles of electric before switching to gas.
The i3 should be able to make the entire journey on electric.
Sounds like your wife has a gen2 so you've experimented? 40 miles sounds about right at 75-80mph.

According to the EPA, the gen2 highway EV range is 49 miles, and the used 60AHr i3 REx has a highway EV range of 66 miles. So if the gen2 Volt at 75-80mph is down to 40 miles, then the i3 REx is down to 54 miles, so its not quite going to make it either. That means you'll be buying a gallon of premium gas every 4-5 days to top off your 1.9 gallon tank, which sounds like an unexpected hassle. Also, for the i3 REx, 80mph using the ICE is possibly beyond it's limits.

Of course, at 75-80mph, 20 miles ICE daily, you'd probably be filling up the Volt every two weeks or so its not tons better. I guess your best bet is to find an L2 charger at work, and then either the Volt or the REx would work for you. Since you're in California, there are also several 100 mile pure EV's that might work for you as well.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
EPA Volt range is 53miles. For what's it's worth, I'm not so sure the i3 is going to consistently make that trip on battery alone. Not at 75-80mph. The Volt is a more capable road trip car with about 300 miles gas backup. What about a used 2016 Volt?

Have you test driven either of them? You might hate one or the other and that might be the decision maker.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Have you checked into the REx lawsuit yet?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
EPA Volt range is 53miles. For what's it's worth, I'm not so sure the i3 is going to consistently make that trip on battery alone. Not at 75-80mph. The Volt is a more capable road trip car with about 300 miles gas backup. What about a used 2016 Volt?

Have you test driven either of them? You might hate one or the other and that might be the decision maker.
As Sheldon pointed out, my wife has a '17 Volt (and I had a '14 Volt) so that's how I know it gets 40 miles EV on my commute. I haven't driven the i3 yet. I try to avoid going to dealerships until I'm ready to purchase, but I have heard some not so nice things about the ride on the i3 (rough, especially potholes are felt).

I wouldn't want a used '16 Volt - I love the ACC option (which is also on the i3) and don't want a car without it now that I've experienced it on my wife's Volt.

I wasn't 100% on the i3 making it 100% electric myself, which is why I'd go with the REx option as a must.

Have you checked into the REx lawsuit yet?
I haven't heard of it, I know there was something about something needing to get fixed up with the gas in the US doing something to the fuel pump. Can you link me an article about it? I could use that for bargaining prices perhaps...

--------------------
I'm hoping someone on here has had both, or does, and can say "glad I got the i3" OR "wish I had bought two Volts instead" and break down a bit why.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
825 Posts
We took a new i3 Rex for a drive (own a 2015 Volt). It was very disappointing. I would never buy one.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Check out this i3 REx road trip review by the 8-bit guy who drove 62 miles on an i3 rex on the interstate at 75-80mph. He also did the "hold mode hack", and the hack to give you the full 2.4 gallon gas tank, both of which you would need. The ICE Engine could not sustain 75-80mph without the hold mode hack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20faLEl3gws

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We took a new i3 Rex for a drive (own a 2015 Volt). It was very disappointing. I would never buy one.
Could you go into more detail about what parts about it were disappointing? I have a tough time with the strange style, but since I'll be inside driving it and not looking, I'm trying to get over it.

Check out this i3 REx road trip review by the 8-bit guy who drove 62 miles on an i3 rex on the interstate at 75-80mph. He also did the "hold mode hack", and the hack to give you the full 2.4 gallon gas tank, both of which you would need. The ICE Engine could not sustain 75-80mph without the hold mode hack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20faLEl3gws
Thanks, I read about that hack, and I was planning on using it to open up the full tank, since they do some crap with limiting it to make CA happy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Assuming it's properly equipped, I like the i3 better, however in your instance of buying something used vs leasing new, I strongly recommend new lease...Today someone reported $36K lease was zero down, $187/mo...Premier should be too much more...However $350/mo is way too much around this area, can probably get that down another $100/mo...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
According to the EPA, the gen2 highway EV range is 49 miles, and the used 60AHr i3 REx has a highway EV range of 66 miles. So if the gen2 Volt at 75-80mph is down to 40 miles, then the i3 REx is down to 54 miles, so its not quite going to make it either. That means you'll be buying a gallon of premium gas every 4-5 days to top off your 1.9 gallon tank, which sounds like an unexpected hassle. Also, for the i3 REx, 80mph using the ICE is possibly beyond it's limits.
Not "possibly." Is. i3 REx on REx outputs enough power to maintain 70 MPH but no more. http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-rex-top-speed-depleted-battery-video/

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Since you are already familiar with the Gen II Volt and determined that you must have the ACC there is no point in looking at the Bolt as an alternative. Maybe you can look into improving your charging options while at work. Even so, charging at work would enable your commute to be 2/3 EV, 1/3CS instead of 1/3 EV, 2/3CS for your 120 mile round trip. The difference is about 1 gallon of gas per trip. Unless the price of gas zooms way up you can just enjoy driving the Gen II Volt with ACC and accept that you will be using the Volt the way it was designed to be driven, to its full potential. What has been your experience with the Volts ICE mpg when driving 75 - 85 mph?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since you are already familiar with the Gen II Volt and determined that you must have the ACC there is no point in looking at the Bolt as an alternative. Maybe you can look into improving your charging options while at work. Even so, charging at work would enable your commute to be 2/3 EV, 1/3CS instead of 1/3 EV, 2/3CS for your 120 mile round trip. The difference is about 1 gallon of gas per trip. Unless the price of gas zooms way up you can just enjoy driving the Gen II Volt with ACC and accept that you will be using the Volt the way it was designed to be driven, to its full potential. What has been your experience with the Volts ICE mpg when driving 75 - 85 mph?
Thankfully it's a 60 miles round trip. Volt does 75-85 mph on gas without a problem. I know the i3 can't do the same, but if I used the Hold mode hack, it should be cake.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Stay with the Chevy Volt. The i3 is a four seater, and the rear doors are locked unless you open the front door first (not good if you carry passengers). Besides it is UGLY (I posted a picture of one here in the forums) and too small. It is as long as the distance from the nose of my 1995 Buick Regal to its rear door (the picture and explaination proves it). Finally, it isn't an American product.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I figure a few things are in it's favor. Since I'd be buying used, I'll own it, and can resell it later when the Gen III Volt comes out, hopefully with 80-90 miles of EV range.

And it's (as far as I can tell) the only option I have to get to and from work on electric. I'm open to suggestions, except the Leaf - that car is hideous.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Well I figure a few things are in it's favor. Since I'd be buying used, I'll own it, and can resell it later when the Gen III Volt comes out, hopefully with 80-90 miles of EV range.

And it's (as far as I can tell) the only option I have to get to and from work on electric. I'm open to suggestions, except the Leaf - that car is hideous.
I don't know if they're still doing fire sales/leases on the Spark EV, but they were doing leases like $0 down, $2500 from the state and well under $100/mo...Incentives change month to month so no idea how they are now...But that's your primary commuter, you can get something else, perhaps an used convertible or a descent size AWD SUV...Best of both worlds...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Thankfully it's a 60 miles round trip. Volt does 75-85 mph on gas without a problem. I know the i3 can't do the same, but if I used the Hold mode hack, it should be cake.
Oh, 60 miles round trip, that's different than my earlier understanding. I have been driving a similar distance to two separate offices. At one location I can recharge for $0.20 per kwh so I take advantage of the opportunity and charge for about an hour, then I know I can make the return trip without using any gas. The other office has no charging option so I must use the ICE for 10-12 miles, since it is now spring and the temperature has been rising I may be able to use even less gas for the round trip. You would be well served by the Gen II Volt.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I don't know if they're still doing fire sales/leases on the Spark EV, but they were doing leases like $0 down, $2500 from the state and well under $100/mo...Incentives change month to month so no idea how they are now...But that's your primary commuter, you can get something else, perhaps an used convertible or a descent size AWD SUV...Best of both worlds...
On your suggestion I looked at the Spark, but it's pretty basic, even the 2LT option doesn't seem to have much going for it. No Adaptive Cruise, and I worry that 82 mi on battery only might not be enough charge for 60 miles of highway driving. Maybe right now, but with summer coming, I'll want to have air conditioning. When I drove my Volt, I didn't bother with the heater during winter, I just bundled up. But in the summer, I can't drive to work naked... so yea, the air conditioning is going to happen.

have you considered a BOLT? 238 MILE EV range will get you back home with many miles to spare
I was - and for a hot minute I was excited about it - but then I found out there's no Adaptive Cruise option. I was thinking of waiting until MY18 to see if it was added, but I can't stand driving an ICE again.

'17 Volt and i3 are the only two electric options in the price ballpark I can find.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts