GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that there is a seller on Ebay selling 4 used Volt chargers.

Follow this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-VOLT-made-by-Voltec-Car-Charger-/260972377007?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc32a73af&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1372

A word to the wise; I bought a used Volt charger on Ebay from a different seller back in December that was listed as "GUARENTEED NOT DOA" but didn't work when I received it. I did end up receiving a full refund but it was still a bit of a hassle.

See it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220900223760#ht_500wt_1372

I can't imagine why a person would have so many used chargers for sale but I thought I'd let you guys know about them anyway.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm not biting. $40 shipping...as is??

PLEASE, anyone buying one of these: let us know what happens!
I'd love for these to be good units...it'll perhaps drive down the cost of aftermarket EVSEs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Tempting but this is a big snag for me...

"Sold as is with no refunds. The price reflects this."

So DOA your SOL?

·
Registered
467 Posts
$160 but no returns or exchanges. Are these from the guy who took discarded charging cords from his employer?

·
Registered
506 Posts
OK, I bit as I wanted one to carry in the trunk as OEM car was del'd. If it doesn't at least light up all the way as advertised when rec'd I have the eBay buyer protection (as not as advertised) not to mention PayPal goes to bat for you as well on DOA's. When I first looked at this the seller had 4 to sell, now mine and F16's purchases brings it down to 2 left!

I will post my experience of this purchase.

·
Registered
357 Posts
IMO, we should not be buying these off of ebay or any other website. Don't create a market for them to get stolen. If you do buy online only buy new and with a full warranty. Yes, we'll be kissing up to the man but it's worth it not to have yours stolen even one time.

DON'T DO IT!

/end of sermon

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tempting but this is a big snag for me...

"Sold as is with no refunds. The price reflects this."

So DOA your SOL?
Actually, I don't think you'd have any problem receiving a refund if it didn't work. The seller has a 'Top Rated Seller' seal by his user name and I think he'll do pratically anything to keep it.

The seller who sold me mine (that turned out to be DOA), was very concerned that I give him positive feedback no matter what, because he also had a TRS seal. I ended up giving him a positive because he gave me all of my money back and he kept his seal. I see now that he received a negative feedback for a different type of item from someone and his Top rated Seller seal has disappeared.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here's my response from the seller when I asked him about possible DOA...

Dear top_speed1,

Hi we have power up tested the units and have sold them in the past and never had aproblem with them if you have any issue's let us know and we will work with you and thanks for shopping with us.

- speedtronics

·
Registered
84 Posts
I understand the principal of not creating a market for stolen chargers but at this point there are so few Volts out there in the general public. My observations of Volt owners on this site is a group of people more inclined to lend a hand then steal you blind. I'm not being niave, I just feel it is too small a share of those driving this marvelous vehicle to be a factor.

On another note out here in the middle of the country we have only an inkling of all the suppliers that developed the Volt and there may be any number of individuals in that group that picked up chargers that were otherwise discarded in the development program.
This was common enough at little American Motors Corporation in Wisconsin. This vendor is at least out of Michigan.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's my response from the seller when I asked him about possible DOA...
"We will work with you" from a seller who want to keep his Top Rated Seller status translates to we'll give you all of your money back, to me.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It probably isn't a bad idea to engrave your name or some other identifying mark into the plastic casing. So if it gets stolen and resold, it'll be pretty obvious to the buyer that they just bought a stolen piece of property. Due to the name being scratched out or whatever. And I am sure any Volt owner would be horrified to learn that they just bought a stolen charger. Considering that they're probably afraid of the exact same thing happening to them.

·
Registered
506 Posts
A website where you register the serial number would be best IMO.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
IMO, we should not be buying these off of ebay or any other website. Don't create a market for them to get stolen. If you do buy online only buy new and with a full warranty. Yes, we'll be kissing up to the man but it's worth it not to have yours stolen even one time.

DON'T DO IT!

/end of sermon
Quite interesting and true. If there is a black-market for them for even $50, then they'll get lifted from hotel lots and other public places. Of course, that's the good thing about the Volt in public - you don't need to recharge (like an EV owner would).

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yeah a website where you could register the serial number would be best. But it's one of those things that would have to be big to be worthwhile. Like if gmvolt.com let you register it and bugged you about doing so or something. That would be great.

But sometimes low tech is the best tech. In the absense of a large central resource.

Boy it'd be sweet to be able to plug the serial number into a database and see if it's registered to someone else before you buy it, though. With a certain amount of assurance that, if it's stolen, it'd show up.

·
Registered
718 Posts
ya'll do KNOW this is the SAME guy who was selling these on here for $165 last week right?

and NO ONE who bought one, posted theirs worked correctly.

$126 + $39 = what?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't think it is the same person, but if it is... way safer buying thru eBay/PP vs. direct payment to email/PP
speedtronics
This member's 12 month Feedback ratings
Positives: 117 Negatives: 0
Positive Feedback (last 12 months): 100%
This member is a Top-rated seller
*Consistently receives highest buyers' ratings
*Ships items quickly
*Has earned a track record of excellent service
I got tracking "In-Transit state" within 24hrs of purchase, in fact it's due to be del'd tomorrow!
Scheduled Delivery:
Thursday, 03/08/2012, By End of Day
In email he/she said it would be taken care of if it didn't work. With this sellers top rated status I'm sure he/she doesn't want that compromised over a $162 transaction. His past sales are all electric/electronic related, looks like his field of business.

Let ya'll know soon!

·
Registered
921 Posts
so did it arrive...?
Mine did, direct sale through this site. Works fine, although the strain relief on the output cable needs work. I'm planning on gutting out the board and replacing it with an Open EVSE so it can do 120/240V. Then swapping the input cable for a twist-lock that can be adapted to lots of different plugs. Just need to figure out how the LED in the J -plug is powered...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts