GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car got totaled on Wednesday and I'm looking to buy something this weekend ideally.

Saw a used 2013 Volt at a dealership for what looked like a good price: $9000. (My original budget was a soft $10,000 leaving some room for charging installation, etc.)

It's got 100,000 miles on it, which sounds like it is past the battery warranty.

So, two questions.

What red flags should I look for? Is the mileage a concern?

What else should I know about volt ownership? I've been researching in the small amount of time I've had since my car was totaled, but sometimes it's good just to hear advice from owners.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
$9K seems like an awful lot for a car with 100K miles on it. I wouldn't buy any car with a 100K miles, look for something with 50K.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
My car got totaled on Wednesday and I'm looking to buy something this weekend ideally.

Saw a used 2013 Volt at a dealership for what looked like a good price: $9000. (My original budget was a soft $10,000 leaving some room for charging installation, etc.)
That's "out of warranty" budget, so I'm not gonna worry too much about your next point. You probably won't find in-warranty cars without spending closer to $12k.

It's got 100,000 miles on it, which sounds like it is past the battery warranty.
Certainly is, unless it's a CARB state car.

So, two questions.

What red flags should I look for? Is the mileage a concern?
Not an special concern, if you're not expecting to spend NOTHING on maintaining the car in the future. Gen 1 Volts are pretty solid cars as cars go, and your "normal car maintenance" expenses will go through the floor. Oil changes are a "once a year" thing, if that, for most owners. You'll probably never replace the brakes. Coolant changes are once every five years, but you'll get to do three coolant changes at once. You may end up spending more money at a Chevy dealer than you're used to if you're the sort to do low-level stuff in your garage and go to Pep Boys for the rest. The car does, though, monitor itself for ANY little thing being out of spec and some of those will require module reprogramming to clear, even if they represent transitory conditions.

What else should I know about volt ownership? I've been researching in the small amount of time I've had since my car was totaled, but sometimes it's good just to hear advice from owners.
Very little -- if you can remember to plug it in at night, you'll get almost all of the engineering GM could bring to bear in 2009 and 2010, and a fair amount of work after. There's LOTS of discussion about doing this or that to "increase efficiency" but there's not much that will really do much at all. Well, kind of -- speed's an issue for the Gen 1 cars. They don't like going faster than 65-70 and show it in decreased efficiency.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What to look for? I agree it's a car with many fewer miles. Even though it's 5 or 6 years old, you will find examples with half that many miles (or less) for not too much more money. On a 100K car, a major problem next month could cost you $3K or maybe even more to fix - Spend that extra now on a low mileage car and leave those with 100K or more to the guys who can fix them without having to pay someone else a fortune

Don

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
You did not say where you are located; there is a 2013 Volt in MA with 74k miles for sale on the forum here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What to look for? I agree it's a car with many fewer miles. Even though it's 5 or 6 years old, you will find examples with half that many miles (or less) for not too much more money. On a 100K car, a major problem next month could cost you $3K or maybe even more to fix - Spend that extra now on a low mileage car and leave those with 100K or more to the guys who can fix them without having to pay someone else a fortune

Don
i understand!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts