GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a black with black leather 2012 base volt with Nav pack, rear camera/park assisted, heated seats.

One owner miles, 64 mpg lifetime (guessing that means about 40% ICE regen use?), some service records, still with OEM 2 key fobs, books, charging cable, floormats, some service records.

118k miles, asking $9998. Other than looking for car's ability to fully recharge the battery pack (and how many miles should that show as electric?), what to look for with test drive/inspection?

Would this be a good choice to make 2 cars out of one? Daughter gets FREE J charging on campus 24/7, close to house, and there's a chademo close by as well. Considering getting an i-MiEV as well, by trading in a 2018 subaru. (We moved to a EV friendly city--KC--and daughter chose to give her ICE back to her dad, long story, so we need a 3 mile one way commuter for her. I also get J charging at my work, 1.5 miles away, about $2/hour. And we can charge 120V at home of course.)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Miles are high. Would want one with under 100k miles. Check everything: Does it charge on Level 1 and Level 2. Does it come with the OE EVSE, does the EVSE work? Does the gas engine run (select Mountain Mode to start the gas engine/generator or open the hood if the Volt's high voltage battery is charged more than 40% to get the gas engine to run.) Does the heating and air conditioning work? This is critical, known to have issues. Are the rear brake rotors and calipers corroded. This can happen because the Volt's friction brakes are not heavily used due to regenerative braking. Have all service updates been applied? If not, since the Volt is out of warranty, you will have to pay a dealer to apply any needed updates.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think the price is on the higher side. If at all possible, shoot for a 2013. They have a slightly larger battery, hold mode, and a Kw usage display on the DIC.

I got a 2013 with 97k miles for just about the same price equipped similarly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Synovialbasher (football player, orthoped? lol),

So then this one would be over-priced or typical of chevy certified?

2013 red, heated leather, rear cam/backup, 61K miles for $16k. That's as high as I would go on a volt, so I could used about 6K for i-MiEV.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Be aware that the 2013 Volt has a common failure point; the bearing race for MGB is prone to failure. This repair would be covered under the 8 year /100k mile warranty (10 year / 150k mile warranty in California, possibly the other zero Carb states)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps a better choice: Chevy certified, 55K miles, 2015 base with backup camera, heated cloth, premium sound for $14,800. Any common failures on the 2015? This was a lease vehicle with HB struts replaced at purchase Jan 2015, so 2.4 years left on warranty, right? (Not sure what factory certification adds to that if any.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like factory certified adds one year of 12K of bumper to bumper and an additional one year to the 5 on drivetrain, both with zero deductible. What is the original lithium battery warranties for the first gen volts? Just curious as I haven't heard many problems with the batteries themselves (right?).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a 2012 Volt. It's fully equipped, had 69,xxx miles when I got it, both key fobs, books, records, the OE charger. I got it for $10,600+TTF. It needed tires and cosmetics are just fair, but the car drives very well. Lifetime mpg was at 95 when I got it, now at 104. Check On-Star, Bluetooth, XM radio and NAV. None were operational on my car ,needed a new On-Star module.

·
Registered
12 Posts
$10k for 118k miles is a bit high, but if it's in good shape and doesn't need tires/brakes/etc, everything works well... I would say $7500-$8500 would still be a fair price to the dealer.

I paid $9800 for mine on 12/28/17 needing nothing with brand new tires, premium trim, lots of paint chips on the bumper though and no evse, 84k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts