GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel the usage of solar panels in the roof area of the car as well as the trunk can help greatly this car to give in excess of a 100 MPG easily. The usage of a Diesel instead of a gas engine can even improve mpg even more.

Try using a CVT transmission that maximizes the engine output while helping with the MPG. There is a Professor in California who has done the same with a Prius obtaining about a 100 MPG of the Car.

Secondly you could use a RAM air turbine that uses the wind as the car runs at high speeds to help keep the battery charge as well as a fifth wheel as a matter of dinamo just to keep the battery charged. This option while be one of the cheapest ones to do in the production car.

Keep the wheels in the 18, to 20 inch range the car looks aggressive and super nice, that would count for the sales of the younger people and massification of the car. The usage of a small jet turbine that runs with biodiessel and spins at 60,000 rpm's would charge your battery in seconds and then it would shut off, all happening in less than ten seconds and with minimum fuel consumption on the part of the engine. These are called APU's and are widely produced. Look up THe Motorhead Messiah on the net, he has great ideas, to make a Hummer give 60 MPG, from the 8 GM's made it with.

Also the car should burn like 99% of the fuel put inside of it, this would be accomplished using a gasification system in the fuel injection coupled with a high voltage spark system, similar to the ones used in the jet engines with capacitors incorporated to them.

I would also get advice from the Ultra hypper Miller Gerdes, Wayne he is the champion to get a normal car into the 50 to 60 MPG's

Thanks,

C. Cardona

·
3,689 Posts
Try using a CVT transmission that maximizes the engine output while helping with the MPG. There is a Professor in California who has done the same with a Prius obtaining about a 100 MPG of the Car.

Secondly you could use a RAM air turbine that uses the wind as the car runs at high speeds to help keep the battery charge as well as a fifth wheel as a matter of dinamo just to keep the battery charged.

I would also get advice from the Ultra hypper Miller Gerdes, Wayne he is the champion to get a normal car into the 50 to 60 MPG's

Thanks,

C. Cardona
Welcome to the forum Cardona! One question, did Miller Gerdes recommend the ram turbine? lol. Sorry, it`s something we hear all the time on this forum. People just don`t realize that it costs more energy to push the car more to overcome the drag caused by the turbine and thus you actually lose energy. Laws of physics and all. Anyway, please read around the forum and enjoy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
solar power

I agree, if anyone has checked out what Aptera is doing with their car, solar seems a great idea to further the electric-series efficiency.
The solar panels on roof/trunk space could not only extend range while driving, but I can't help but appreciate what solar would do if I drove to work, and left it in a sunny parking lot all day (as many others do I'm sure.)
If the solar could charge the battery even the difference of an extra 10% charge would be worthwhile, the energy gained from the sun would be free of charge while a plug-in still costs you (albeit, not much) in buying the electricity from the power-grid.
Aptera, a goofy looking alternative to the Volt not only charges the battery with solar, but uses solar to power the AC/heat to keep the car a comfortable temperature when you get in. Now we're talking!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I humbly request a sticky on this topic.

Trust us, we have done this thread....a lot. Here is the invariable conclusion which I have no intention of supporting again, lol.

1.) If the math angle is how you are justifying this, it's just not viable.

2.) If the 'it's freaking cool' angle is how you justify this, then it is viable...but no way it's a Gen 1. If it does come, think Gen 2 and think $10/w minimum. (It's not like slapping a panel on your roof).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've provided GM with this same suggestion twice now. It seems that these great ideas have fallen on the hearing-impaired within the executive and engineering staff. It not only makes sense to integrate components to mitigate the need for fossel fuels, but it also makes sense that the batteries be charging (for free mind you) while it sits quietly in the parking lot.

NOW LOOK - Ford has now introduced the C-MAX hybrid with, you guessed it, a solar charging collector on the roof top. Way to go Ford! GM/Chevy, what are you waiting for??? - Christmas has been and gone...

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Way to propose a $200,000 car that gets 100 mpg.

Hey, GM....What you waiting for?! (Eye-Roll)

While your at it how about some of these options....

2 two bubble domes; one in the front, while the one in the back is for quarreling kids, and optional restraints and muzzles.

An engine sound that causes people to think "the world's coming to an end."

Three horns, as that "you can never find a horn when you're mad." The three horns play the song "La Cucaracha."

A Ball on the antenna so you can find it in a parking lot easier.

Various features such as bubble domes, shag carpeting, and tailfins. It also needs a metal bowler as a hood ornament.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Solar panels on the roof would have so little impact on range for the cost it is absolutely dumb idea.

This horse has been beat to death in the past around here. Do the math and you will see what I mean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts