GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Volt:
Sometimes when I started up the car, the mp3's on my USB stick would refuse to play. The symptoms varied a bit: sometimes it would just show the USB stick label, sometimes it would show the current song but not play, and other times the song times would cycle very fast and then freeze. Other more serious symptoms would occur occasionally such as the phone and voice commands not working. I pulled the USB for a while and used Bluetooth, but it would also occasionally not work. This problem happened more frequently when the outside temperatures were high. Turning the car off and back on again usually cleared it up.

2018 Volt:
I finally tried a USB stick in my new Volt starting last week. Everything was fine until a day that was warmer than usual. I started getting "No Artist Info" and no songs would play. The first time that it happened, power cycling cleared it up. The next time, however, multiple power cycles did nothing. I also lost the car power up/power down sounds. The next time that I drove the car (after an hour or so of charging), everything was fine.

I found a couple of threads that mention similar problems, but no definitive solutions. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think the good news is . . . . when it doesn't work in 2 different cars, you've pretty much proven it's the fault of your $5 USB stick and not your $40K car

Don

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried multiple USB sticks with similar results. The USB in my new car is a brand new one.

I saw something about formatting with 4K sectors. Perhaps I'll try that.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The format was FAT32. I re-formatted to NTFS with 4K sectors and get the same results. It only fails about 5-10% of the time, but is more likely to when it is hot outside.

Does anyone have a USB that works 100% of the time? What is it, and how is it formatted? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
While it would seem that the USB stick is at fault, I'll propose another possibility, that the USB ports are flaky, and since Chevy uses the same USB controller and board, it can flake out on multiple Volts, that's why you have people complaining about the USB when using sticks, iPhones, Androids, etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Got the same problem
Replaced my generic USB keys I would normally use for a "Patriot Rage" USB 3.0 stick (good reviews)
Now in 17seconds after the infotainement systems starts, my music plays 100% of the time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought the "Patriot supersonic Rage 64GB" on amazon. This key had considerably helped achieving stability and quick music acces at bootup compared to my ex noname brand USB stick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While it would seem that the USB stick is at fault, I'll propose another possibility, that the USB ports are flaky, and since Chevy uses the same USB controller and board, it can flake out on multiple Volts, that's why you have people complaining about the USB when using sticks, iPhones, Androids, etc.
I think that this is correct. I've tried many different USB sticks, including the Patriot Rage, and all have failed occasionally regardless of format type. I guess I just have to get used to turning the car off and on again (which usually fixes the problem).

My biggest worry is that the symptoms sometime go beyond playing music with the USB. The problem sometimes seems to "infect" other systems, like voice commands or bluetooth. I've also had the door locks respond very sluggishly, and had static come out of the speakers when I turn the car on. The car "on" and 'off' music will also sometimes fail to occur. It seems that anything controlled by the center display could be affected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts