GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2017 Volt last week and I have problems playing music on a flash drive. On both USB ports the song will lose sound for like 10-15 seconds. The song keeps playing but no sound. This happens 2-3 times each time I drive somewhere.

I read on this forum an older post of this happening on a Gen 1 on an iPod with no help.
Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I experienced this for the first time today, though I've had my car for a month now. I have my 64gig 3rd gen Touch plugged in to a USB port with a top-rated Amazon cable. I was just driving along listening to a tune and the music just stopped. When I looked at the display, it showed the song still playing, but with no sound coming out. I ended up turning the whole display completely off for a bit, and when I turned it back on, everything was back to normal. I have no way of knowing whether or not this has anything to do with it, but the sound drop-out occurred just as I was changing the car's operating mode from "hold" to "normal". Weird...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has been happening since I got the car. It happens on both USB ports on any flash drive.
It also takes a while for the system to recognize and start playing the flash drive unless I turn the car off with the radio left on.
Both issues are real annoying.

When my car broke down after only having the car for 2 weeks I mentioned to them to check the USB drives as well, but they didn’t. I was without my car for 4 days.

I was happy to get my car back in only 4 days as I was expecting a major issue with the car that I forgot to ask about the USB.

Between just getting my car back after driving a small Chevy Sonic for 4 days and there isn’t a close Chevy dealership by me, I’ve been lazy about getting it checked out.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Volt last week and I have problems playing music on a flash drive. On both USB ports the song will lose sound for like 10-15 seconds. The song keeps playing but no sound. This happens 2-3 times each time I drive somewhere.

I read on this forum an older post of this happening on a Gen 1 on an iPod with no help.
Has anyone experienced this?
I've never had a skip or issue of any type with the low profile usb 2.0 type of san disk drive. I've heard of other usb 3.0 low profile drives having some heat issues and resulted in read/write issues. Most of this I've read on newegg reviews not here on this forum.

Are your drives hot to the touch when they have issues?

Here's what i use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0081...+2.0+micro&dpPl=1&dpID=41CzeV7VWgL&ref=plSrch

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use 2 of the same exact flash drives in your link.
It worked flawlessly in both my last car (Plug in Prius) and the Chevy Sonic.

I'll need to call service and have them check it out.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not to make matters more complex, but in addition to the USB cutting out, I had the same problem yesterday while listening to FM. The sound just went dead for half a minute or so...and then just resumed. If it matters, I have Bose in my LT...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to make matters more complex, but in addition to the USB cutting out, I had the same problem yesterday while listening to FM. The sound just went dead for half a minute or so...and then just resumed. If it matters, I have Bose in my LT...
I don't have Bose.

So this just started happening yesterday for the first time? How long have you had your Gen2?

·
Registered
31 Posts
As with any computer or smartphone there will always be updates for operational and functionailty concerns, however we are used to updates and improvements automatically being resolved right through the internet or cellular connection to the device. There is no such regular occurring connection to most vehicles, so updates have to be made when a veh. is presented to the servicing dealer as a complaint, the complaint must be specific to insure it is found and resolved. Perhaps someday a permanent communication connection will be standard on any veh but today it isn't.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
If you have the time, try formatting the flash drives to FAT32 and see if it makes any difference
Thanks
WOT

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Also, contact cleaner. See this thread.

The out-gassing of plastics and such in the car often puts a semi-conductive film on every possible surface (and that persistent film on the inside of your windshield). I've noticed it causing all sorts of minor glitches in various vehicles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have already tried reformatting even though it was already formatted to FAT32. Both flash drives work flawlessly in other vehicles.

As for the cleaner, the car is brand new.

Thing is, it happens a small percentage of time, once or twice a day. So odds are the Service dept will not be able to reproduce the problem.
I'll call and take it in soon.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
As for the cleaner, the car is brand new.
Some brand new cars are the worst. As I said in the other thread.
The outgassing from a new car puts a semi-conductive film on every possible surface, in every nook and crack hence the contact cleaner suggestion.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Some brand new cars are the worst. As I said in the other thread.
The outgassing from a new car puts a semi-conductive film on every possible surface, in every nook and crack hence the contact cleaner suggestion.
Agreed. The outgassing is really bad at first. It leaves a thick film on the interior window surfaces that would fog up the windows quite often to the point I was cleaning my windows on the inside few weeks the first few months of ownership. I found 'invisible glass' worked great and there have been a few threads about the outgassing issue. It's tapered off now after 6 months.

Although I've never seen an issue with my USB port I could see this as a potential cause if the port was unoccupied for a small amount of time in the Arizona heat. Good luck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't have Bose.

So this just started happening yesterday for the first time? How long have you had your Gen2?
See post #2. I took delivery on March 14th.

As to "out-gassing", my car spent its first week with us (and the vast majority of the time since) with all of its windows all the way open, parked in a cool, dark garage. The windows are still crystal clear, and most of the "new car smell" has already dissipated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on the USB problem.

Worksheet says updated HMI module.
I think HMI stands for Human Module Interface.
Service guy said it was reset or reprogrammed.
When he told me this on the phone, I was thinking great, I'm still going to have issues.
Issue I was having didn't sound like a reset would fix it.

They had my car for 1 1/2 days. I get the car back yesterday and still having issues. 1-2 times a trip it stops playing audio for around 15 seconds.
Once in a while I can't even get the USBs to work at all unless I stop the car and turn the car off and back on again.

Btw - I did try the CRC QD cleaner before I took the car in.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was driving home the other night and the whole center display just went black. I had had the sound on "mute" and had one of the energy screens up when it all just disappeared...no clock, no temp...nothing. It was dark out, so I could tell that the display still had power (it was a really dark grey, not completely black). It just quit showing any information. It was like that for a couple of minutes and then, when I was pulling into my garage, it came back on again...and it's been OK since. I wonder if these issues will be corrected when I have Android Auto installed. Over on the AA thread, guys are saying it fixes a couple of the car's present quirks, the reverse/mute problem being one of them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know too much about the Android Auto update. I do not have an Android device.

Since I got my car back, the display from time to time switches my view from "info" to "music". so I have to change it back, which is a little annoying.

About once a day while I'm driving I have to unplug and plug my USB flash drive, sometimes 2 or 3 times to get it to work. At least I haven't had to turn the car off and on to get it to work like before, but still having issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts