GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY2014 Volt:

Apologies if this has been beat to death already, but does anyone know what the maximum # of Mp3 files that the system can handle/index/play? I have a 128GB Flash Drive that it appears is maxing out what Mylink can handle (no clue why?!). It seems to just pick and choose what it wants to recognize on the drive rather than going in any specific order.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,943 Posts
MY2014 Volt:

Apologies if this has been beat to death already, but does anyone know what the maximum # of Mp3 files that the system can handle/index/play? I have a 128GB Flash Drive that it appears is maxing out what Mylink can handle (no clue why?!). It seems to just pick and choose what it wants to recognize on the drive rather than going in any specific order.

Thanks in advance.
Someone just posted in another thread the umber 9999. I don't know if it is true or not as I don't use the USB feature. Just an iPhone with Bluetooth.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone just posted in another thread the umber 9999. I don't know if it is true or not as I don't use the USB feature. Just an iPhone with Bluetooth.
Yeah I think that was me :) Trying to get confirmation on that or if it is supposed to be more than I can play with the file structure to see if I can squeeze more out of it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
From the infotainment manual:

USB MP3 Player and USB Drives

. The USB MP3 players and USB
drives connected must comply
with the USB Mass Storage
Class specification (USB MSC).

. Hard disk drives are not
supported.

. The radio will not be able to play
back write-protected music.

. File systems supported: FAT32,
NTFS, Linux, and HFS+.

The following restrictions apply
for the data stored on a USB
MP3 player or USB device:

‐ Maximum folder structure
depth: 8 levels.

‐ Maximum number of MP3/
WMA files that can be
displayed: 10,000.

‐ Playlist entries must be in the
form of relative paths.

‐ The system attribute for
folders/files that contain audio
data must not be set

·
Registered
49 Posts
128 Gb is a lot of music. It is entirely possible that you have unrecognized file formats on there and/or too many. In addition (sorry if this is a stupid question) but do you have the "Shuffle" feature turned off?
I've had no problem, but I have only tried a 128 Mb stick (as a test before I bothered going larger).

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Up to twenty years ago you would be shuffling Compact Disks in you car. My two vehicles still has them.
Thirty years ago you had cassettes. My Regal still has it.
Forty years ago you had 8-track tapes.
And fifty years ago you had 45 RPM 6-inch records.
I am one of the few that lived all those periods and managed all that meda formats in my home and in some cars. A neighbor had a 45-RPM record player in his Cadillac, but could only play them while parked!
https://www.google.com.pr/search?q=...8JIjfsAS4goL4BQ&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1032&bih=574

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another tip that I found somewhere is this...the first time you connect your usb drive the car will create a record of that drive, indexing it. If you take the drive out and add songs to it, you should also rename the drive so that when you connect to the car it will index the entire drive as if it was new and ignore the old index that it had created. This will avoid duplicate song listings and perhaps keep the indexing "clean". The car will maintain the index for up to two separate drives.

·
4,874 Posts
Wait, they have info on the car in the manual?!?! ;)

With the electronic/PDF manual versions now available free online, I'm surprised more people don't search it for info like this. (Disclaimer: I've been guilty of this too!)

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
128 Gb is a lot of music. It is entirely possible that you have unrecognized file formats on there and/or too many. In addition (sorry if this is a stupid question) but do you have the "Shuffle" feature turned off?
I've had no problem, but I have only tried a 128 Mb stick (as a test before I bothered going larger).
It is 2014. 128GB isn't really that much... A lot less than my 240gb iPod which doesn't seem to work in this thing either... :-(

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

USB MP3 Player and USB Drives

. The USB MP3 players and USB
drives connected must comply
with the USB Mass Storage
Class specification (USB MSC).

. Hard disk drives are not
supported.

. The radio will not be able to play
back write-protected music.

. File systems supported: FAT32,
NTFS, Linux, and HFS+.

The following restrictions apply
for the data stored on a USB
MP3 player or USB device:

‐ Maximum folder structure
depth: 8 levels.

‐ Maximum number of MP3/
WMA files that can be
displayed: 10,000.

‐ Playlist entries must be in the
form of relative paths.

‐ The system attribute for
folders/files that contain audio
data must not be set
Thanks. Missed that :) So I guess I found my new #1 request, FREE US OF THE 10,000 SONG LIMIT!!

·
Registered
13,943 Posts
No... It isn't enough..
Meanwhile my iPhone had zero songs on it. I just stream podcasts, pandora, and iTunes Radio. No am, no fm, no xm.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't think I have nearly 10,000 songs on my iPhone. One problem I have been having is that when I buy new songs on iTunes sometimes the Volt will not recognize them (even though they are clearly on the iPhone) until after I do a USB based sync on my computer.

Really annoying to be all excited about new music only to have the Volt act like they aren't there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts