GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my media storage choice I have my library loaded on a thumb drive and plugged into the usb slot in the arm rest storage area. The problem I'm having is after turning off the car and turning it back on it defaults to the FM radio and doesn't recognize that there is a thumb drive in the usb slot. So after I unplug the drive from the slot and plug it back in it works. But lately it will switch back and forth between FM and usb like it's having trouble keeping the connection.

So do you think it's a matter of replacing the usb slot or something with the infotainment systems software? I'll end up taking it to the dealer since I have the extended bumper to bumper warranty but wanted to see where I should focus their efforts. :p

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
It's not limited, but I have found in practice it is better to have several thumb drives each with it's own playlist/genre than one ginormous drive with your entire library. I have similar problems when plugging in my 30gb old school click wheel iPod. I have since resorted to using the aux audio cable as that never fails.

On my smartphone, I don't hold any music on board and just stream Pandora and Spotify. That works great once you figure out to never switch tombluetooth and hit play until 30-45 seconds after starting the car.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
It's not limited, but I have found in practice it is better to have several thumb drives each with it's own playlist/genre than one ginormous drive with your entire library. I have similar problems when plugging in my 30gb old school click wheel iPod. I have since resorted to using the aux audio cable as that never fails.
Yeah, the AUX cable "dock" is pretty much the only way I can make my iPod work properly. I've a 120GB Gen 6 Classic and when I'd try to use it on the USB port as an iPod, most of the time it'd end up corrupting the podcasts (such that trying to play one resulted in the correct duration and title being displayed, a track counter showing "1 of 0", and no actual playing) and playlists. That would persist even when undocked through reboots of the iPod, and would only be cleared by resetting iPod and reloading EVERYTHING again. And when you're downsampling 150GB of library to fit into 120GB, that takes all day. Literally.

So I bought one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00490OVM0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB only supplies power. Audio goes through the AUX, so I KNOW I'm getting the iPod's DAC and audio codecs being used (unlike the USB dock that I could never figure out how it was supposed to be working other than using the iPod as mass storage with some bizarro tricks used to update the track play count timestamping, etc). Crossfading works again. SoundCheck (loudness leveling settings) works again. No more playlist corruption. What have I lost? Have to reach into the well below the shifter to skip tracks. No more tiny album art on the dashboard. No autopause on the (very) rare occasions when someone calls me while driving. I think I made the right exchange for me.

·
Registered
776 Posts
For my media storage choice I have my library loaded on a thumb drive and plugged into the usb slot in the arm rest storage area. The problem I'm having is after turning off the car and turning it back on it defaults to the FM radio and doesn't recognize that there is a thumb drive in the usb slot.
Mine does this too! I use about half a 32g thumb drive. I solved the problem by turning off the USB music before I turn the car off. That way the next time I startup, I don't hear that awful FM static (I never listen to FM, so no station is set). After I back out of my driveway, I turn the music back on and it picks up playing USB where it left off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not limited, but I have found in practice it is better to have several thumb drives each with it's own playlist/genre than one ginormous drive with your entire library. <SNIP>
I tried loading a USB stick with 85k songs on it in my 2015 Volt, and it couldn't deal with it.

I had to reduce it to my favorite 50k songs, and it started working.

YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts