GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not yet been successful in playing any music from a USB ‘stick’.
Yeah- I read the manual, and perhaps I missed something.

I’ve tried a couple of different formats, WAV and MP3. The USB was formatted with exFAT or FAT (dang, I can’t remember now).

I can see stuff on the drive, but nothing that will play.

What am I doing incorrectly?

(2018 Premier )

Mark

·
Registered
195 Posts
Format the stick to FAT32. It is more compatible with non-windows systems. The Gen 1 manual says to use MP3, WMA, or AAC files - Gen 2 may accept others . . . I use MP3s with no problems.

·
Registered
513 Posts
All my files are MP3 files. I have about 600 on a stick, formatted with FAT32. They can be in a separate directory or in the root directory and the car will find them. Our Volt is the 4th car we have used these same USB sticks with and nary a problem

Don

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
All my files are MP3 files. I have about 600 on a stick, formatted with FAT32. They can be in a separate directory or in the root directory and the car will find them. Our Volt is the 4th car we have used these same USB sticks with and nary a problem

Don
Yes fat 32. I have a 128gb nano usb drive with about 90 gb of music files, works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Formatted Fat32, nearly all USB drives are already formatted Fat32, and files are MP3's and to a lessor extent WMA's. I've been doing this through four cars including a 2017 Volt with nary a problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just picked up a used 2017. Formatted a 32GB USB 3.1 stick to NTFS, with a few folders, and a number of mp3's (<100, long mixes), and it picks 'em up without issue (just to validate NTFS also should work fine).

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Just picked up a used 2017. Formatted a 32GB USB 3.1 stick to NTFS, with a few folders, and a number of mp3's (<100, long mixes), and it picks 'em up without issue (just to validate NTFS also should work fine).
2018 Volt Premier. I had an 8GB FAT32 stick with MP3s organized in folders, and it wouldn't recognize any music. I removed all the folders, and now it finds all the songs. Weird.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Format the stick to FAT32. It is more compatible with non-windows systems. The Gen 1 manual says to use MP3, WMA, or AAC files - Gen 2 may accept others . . . I use MP3s with no problems.
I had to try a couple different formats in my '14. WMA did the trick for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m a musician and record music. So I like to listen to the mix/edit in as many different types of places to make it sound as good as possible with a wide range of playback producers.

I’ll try FAT32 with MP3. If that doesn’t work I’ll try out lowering the bitrate of the MP3 when I create it. I dont’ Really like MP3- I don’t like what it does to the sound. But they are certainly ubiquitous and in many cases it is nosy enough to not hear much if any difference anyway. I listen to the origin source at 24 bit /88.2khz and it just sounds so much better...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you select "Media?"
Yes- it recognized the USB, it would even see the folders. But wouldn’t play anything.

I’ll reformat and try with no folders and then with folders. I think all were in folders originally.

MH

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Do you have any other USB device plugged in to the second USB port when you are trying to play music via your USB stick?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doe you have any other USB device plugged in to the second USB port when you are trying to play music via your USB stick?
I believe I had a Thunderbolt cable plugged in- but no device.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I believe I had a Thunderbolt cable plugged in- but no device.
You might try the USB stick again, this time with the Thunderbolt cable disconnected.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m a musician and record music. So I like to listen to the mix/edit in as many different types of places to make it sound as good as possible with a wide range of playback producers.

I’ll try FAT32 with MP3. If that doesn’t work I’ll try out lowering the bitrate of the MP3 when I create it. I dont’ Really like MP3- I don’t like what it does to the sound. But they are certainly ubiquitous and in many cases it is nosy enough to not hear much if any difference anyway. I listen to the origin source at 24 bit /88.2khz and it just sounds so much better...
FWIW, mine are 320kbps, ~100-150mbytes/ea, no issues with high bitrate, unless you're doing something abnormally high (at which point I haven't tested, nor do I suspect anybody else has).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes- it recognized the USB, it would even see the folders. But wouldn’t play anything.

I’ll reformat and try with no folders and then with folders. I think all were in folders originally.

MH
If it sees the folders does it list the titles???

Could be a problem with the recording software you are using.

Get an empty USB drive, format it in a windows machine, I'd suggest WinXP but I'd have to put on my fireproof undergear.
Then just record one or two songs on the USB DRIVE. Do MP3, if that does not work try WMA.

I had this problem come up on another device. The newer recording software has an updated recording setting and some of the old machines or software used to play them doesn't see this new format.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tired a USB drive that was formatted FAT16. It worked fine.

I’ll do a bit more to figure if it is just the format (likely).

I use ProTools to create the MP3- one of the plugins does it. But I convert to 16bit 44.1 before bouncing to MP3

Thanks for all the good info.
Mark

1 - 20 of 36 Posts