1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Pretty impressive. Volt sold 2.5x the number Leaf sales for the month.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
And this despite US gas prices averaging about 10% lower than the same period last year.
For Months now I have been trying to say gas prices are not correlated well with plug in sales, but media keeps saying they are. Since November we have been seeing record EV and plug in sales. This period had record low gas prices.

Hard to say if this month will continue the trend as Tesla pushes sales at end of quarter to make their numbers, so this is a down month, but Volt sales look healthy, and I think they are mostly retail as opposed to Volt 1 at launch.

Leaf sales are languishing, probably TM3, doesn't appear to have impacted Volt sales, as I would expect.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Hard to say if this month will continue the trend as Tesla pushes sales at end of quarter to make their numbers
How would Tesla "push sales" since they don't offer any cash incentives/rebates or ZERO % financing like the traditional manufactures do?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes, the electric vehicle era has arrived. Yet, I still get the stupid questions: What happens when the batteries wear out? What happens when the lithium cells burst into flames? What happens when it snows and you do not own a vehicle with AWD? How can I own an electric vehicle if I live in an apartment or condominium? What happens when you run out of electric charge?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
This is pretty encouraging news, as this is the best sales rate Volt has had in year to date ever! So far this year, 5970; previous best year to date was 2013 at 5550. This is getting to be more interesting as inventories start to improve.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting. I was wondering how to look at YTD numbers for all prior years.

Where did you get the data?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Almost 2k sales...despite many dealerships still not having more than 1 or 2 Volts in stock. And leasing rates for a '17 Volt are still craptacular in non-CARB states.

I think the 3k+ mark can be achieved again this year.

As for overall plug-in sales, pretty decent despite BMW i sales being in the tank, and the Prius Prime (despite being lame) will probably be good for at least 2k sales a month for a while, assuming Toyota actually stocks it properly.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Just a single data point, but the dealership I leased my 2nd Cruze from had almost 30 '16 Volts in stock 2 months ago. I checked their inventory just now, and they are down to just 8 '16 Volts, with 5 '17s listed (3 in transit). So in less than 2 months, that's around 20 Volts sold for this 1 dealership. That has to be a pretty good sales figure for a non-CA dealership.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Data on sales

Interesting. I was wondering how to look at YTD numbers for all prior years.

Where did you get the data?

Good car bad car site has numbers for all cars sold it seems.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yes, the electric vehicle era has arrived. Yet, I still get the stupid questions: What happens when the batteries wear out? What happens when the lithium cells burst into flames? What happens when it snows and you do not own a vehicle with AWD? How can I own an electric vehicle if I live in an apartment or condominium? What happens when you run out of electric charge?
To be fair, those are all reasonable questions for a public that's familiar with the short-lived batteries sold with consumer equipment and the kinds of problems we've seen with cheap knock-off laptop batteries (and even Boeing's batteries!).

Most people haven't speed time researching this stuff, it's up to those of us who have to help educate them.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I think the loss of HOV stickers in California has got to be hurting sales. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I thought the 3K+ mark would be a slam dunk by now, and an annual sales of 36K, based on the glowing reports and Gen 1 trade-ins. I expect that Bolt will hurt Volt sales because there is a huge overlap in that market (commuter/local) regardless of what Chevy may say--or hope for. I hope this year will be the year of that elusive sales "critical mass" for Volt, wherein the curve really takes off. If it doesn't happen, Volt may see next year what Leaf is experiencing right now. A mid-cycle range improvement will be almost mandatory for Volt to keep pace.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
How would Tesla "push sales" since they don't offer any cash incentives/rebates or ZERO % financing like the traditional manufactures do?
"Push sales" may be off target a bit.
Tesla tends to ship cars out of the country in the first part of the quarter so that those cars get delivered in the same quarter they are produced (ship times over seas can easily take 6 weeks).
The result is, Tesla U.S. Sales are week in the first month of a quarter, and much stronger in the last month of the quarter.

·
2,356 Posts
260 sales in Canada in April, the highest month ever, and second straight month that an all-time record has been set. March was 246.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
260 sales in Canada in April, the highest month ever, and second straight month that an all-time record has been set. March was 246.
Yup GM Canada sold more Volts in April 2016 than the first four months of 2015 combined. So far in 2016 the Volt is selling nearly as well as the Camaro (702 Volts vs. 773 Camaro's)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Add my name into the hat of volt sales -- put a deposit down and ordered a 2017 base model with comfort package, leather, and bose. I was told 8 week delivery time (they had allocation, and my order was accepted earlier this week) waiting on a TPW currently.

I'm sure the actual sale won't register till I take delivery, but I'm pumped!

Not sure how GM's inner workings go - but on my Order workbench PDF that was sent to me showing it's acceptance by GM, it lists Priority as "1" - hopefully that means it will go to TPW soon and get cranking :)

Bought from Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine here in DFW, TX area - they seem to be the only big mover of volts here in N. Texas. Got the name of the guy to talk to from fellow forum members here "buzz" smith was a stand up dude. They didn't have any to test drive as they were all marked as sold, but he let me take his personal 2016 Volt out for a spin, and I was quite impressed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts