GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
20,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 54 percent of the 1,801 alt-fuel vehicles purchased by U.S. government agencies last year were built by Hyundai Motor Co. (005380), Toyota Motor Corp. (7203), Mitsubishi Motors Corp. (7211) and Honda Motor Co., according to data obtained under a Freedom of Information request from the U.S. General Services Administration, which coordinates most vehicle purchases.

That means a total of 828 where bought from Ford, GM including hybrids. The GSA purchases in fiscal 2012 included 904 Sonata hybrids, followed by 372 Fusion hybrids, with General Motors Co.’s Chevrolet Volt plug-in electric model accounting for 163 purchases.

That averages out to 13 per month, or 0.7% of all Volt sales in 2012. These are generally classified as "fleet sales".

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-09/obama-green-fleet-shows-ford-loses-to-hyundai-hybrids.html

·
Registered
761 Posts
So if anything, the US gov't is heavily favoring non-American car sources.

The anti-Volt / anti-GM crowd saying the govt is propping up Volt sales, is completely incorrect.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
From the Bloomberg story:

“The government needs to support a broad base of companies producing alternative vehicles because if they talk the talk, they need to walk the walk,” said Brett Smith, an alternative- vehicle analyst at the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Michigan. “They want there to be a full range of options. In the future, there should be more availability of models built in the U.S.”
An Executive Order is called for.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Looks like those are bid buys with the spec's written to exclude. Hard to price a Volt under a Hyundai. Shame but bid buying is politically defensible.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
There are a lot of message commentators on news sites that would rather have the Federal Government purchase foreign cars than the Volt. According to them the "gubmint" buys all the Volts because they are not selling.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Why didn't they buy Coda vehicles then?

"Buy American ... well, maybe 1/2 the time."

Reminds me of the IT department in a state government of NM or AZ I read about a while back where they outsourced IT functions to some company in India rather than using US citizens. I guess this happens more and more, but hardly makes the news.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Do we have accurate fleet sales data to deflate the other half of the sales myth - that GE fleet purchases are responsible for most Volt sales? I recall that in March, a "The Street" report said less than 5% of all Volt purchases were fleet sales.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Do we have accurate fleet sales data to deflate the other half of the sales myth - that GE fleet purchases are responsible for most Volt sales? I recall that in March, a "The Street" report said less than 5% of all Volt purchases were fleet sales.
http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2013/01/09/GE-Trims-EV-Commitment-GM-010913.aspx

From the article it appears less than 3,000 "alternative fuel vehicles" have been purchased so far. I don't know how many Volts are in that 3,000.

·
Administrator
20,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing is plainly clear, neither the US government nor GE are responsible for the Volt sales numbers. Both are a rounding error. It's sad to think that foreign brands are the primary beneficiary. Something is wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hyundai dropped $1.7 billion in Montgomery, AL to become a "US Manufacturer". GM, Ford, Fiat et al. are all global. Most are listed on the NYSE so ownership is global. Its really getting hard from a factual standpoint to say what is an American Car and what isn't. Even the Volt is running around with battery cells sourced from Korea. Bid spec's that state assembled in the US with such and such a US made content are not necessarily going to get you a traditional US nameplate.

For example a spec written for 50% US content would exclude my Volt which is only 46% per its window sticker.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It is sad if so few Volts are in the fleets. Large agencies can use economies of scale and their own staff of electricians to put in L2 chargers. There are large amounts of chargers powered by solar at the county of Santa Clara and the Santa Clara Valley Water Company.
The Valley Transportation Authority has a huge fleet of Prius bought before the electric cars were available. The Volt would be an improvement. It just might take some time to transition over to BEV and EREV.
The fuel savings to municipalities and agencies could be enormous.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My preference was to buy a US car union made. It just happened that the Volt was the car I have waited for my whole life. It made my decision very easy. I do believe some of the Spark EV is US made, though.

From GM press release:

The drive unit and motor will be assembled of U.S. and globally sourced parts at GM’s White Marsh, Md., manufacturing facility, and the first time a U.S. automaker has built both a complete electric motor and drive unit for a modern electric vehicle in the United States.

I recall reading that A123 would be providing the battery made in MI.

·
Administrator
20,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I recall reading that A123 would be providing the battery made in MI.
Yes, The Chevy Spark was to have the battery supplied by A123. With the company sale a bit unsettled, I wonder if that is still the case?

·
Administrator
20,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
761 Posts
I also read that some of these govt fleet Volts were being run on gas only because the employees get no incentive to charge but there is remuneration for gasoline. Awful. (I think I read it on this forum).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts