GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a great three years with "Thor," the name for my 2011 Viridian Joule Volt. But now it's time for it to go home to US Bank. For obvious reasons - the substantial drop in residual - I'm not buying it.

The return process unfortunately reminds me of the extremely unpleasant experience I had when purchasing the car.

No dealership seems to know how to process a lease return. The dealer I use for service (Knapp) says they don't work with US Bank. I got on the phone with US Bank and listened on the line as their rep called the Chevy dealerships around my small town of Houston, Texas to no success.

One dealer (Allen Samuels, where I purchased the car) told the bank rep, "That sounds like a trick question. Sir, this is a car dealership. We don't deal with leases." Haha.

Long story short, US Bank is going to send a flatbed truck to pick Thor up at my office. Now at least that service is worthy of my $395 disposition fee. I'd probably pay $$$ more not to have to step foot inside another Chevy dealer.

As I wrap up this chapter of my car life, I say to anyone at GM who cares:

"You have some fantastic engineers and executives with a vision, but your dealerships are god-awful. Never again."

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yet another reason why the Tesla model feels better to people.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dealership Suck

Soon people won't buy anymore cars if they have to go to dealership.

Just look up how many new cars the younger generation buy and compare that to 10-15-20 years ago.

We HATE dealing with dealerships. Let us buy direct and ship me my car!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Keep us up to date on the rest of your turn in experience. All of us who have US Bank leases will be interested to know how they will be with wear and tear fees and so forth.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wear and Tear Fees

Hi Tony,

I have completed the turn-in inspection. The process was simple enough since it's handled by a third party, Datascan. You call US Bank, and US Bank gives your information to Datascan. A Datascan contractor contacts you to set up an appointment at home or work.

My inspector was very professional and courteous. The inspection took about 45 minutes. I'm being dinged $35 for some paint touch up and $125 each for two scuffed wheels ($250 total for wheels). I thought about calling around to get a quote on the wheels myself, but then the whole dealership thing happened again so I figured I'd just pay what they're asking.

My inspector said that with a manufacturer's finance company (i.e. Lexus Financial, Ford Motor Credit, VW Credit etc.) these issues wouldn't be a big deal, but because it's a third party like US Bank, that's why I'm seeing the fees.

Keep us up to date on the rest of your turn in experience. All of us who have US Bank leases will be interested to know how they will be with wear and tear fees and so forth.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've only had leases through Ally and have never had a problem at lease end. I even turned in a Chevy at a Buick dealer once. However, I do agree that most dealers are terrible at customer service, try to squeeze every penny out of their customers and are more or less dishonest.
PS: I did like my Saturn dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Tony,

I have completed the turn-in inspection. The process was simple enough since it's handled by a third party, Datascan. You call US Bank, and US Bank gives your information to Datascan. A Datascan contractor contacts you to set up an appointment at home or work.

My inspector was very professional and courteous. The inspection took about 45 minutes. I'm being dinged $35 for some paint touch up and $125 each for two scuffed wheels ($250 total for wheels). I thought about calling around to get a quote on the wheels myself, but then the whole dealership thing happened again so I figured I'd just pay what they're asking.

My inspector said that with a manufacturer's finance company (i.e. Lexus Financial, Ford Motor Credit, VW Credit etc.) these issues wouldn't be a big deal, but because it's a third party like US Bank, that's why I'm seeing the fees.
Hi shellzj,
Thanks for sharing the details of your experience. This information will be very helpful for others turning in a lease through US Bank. Good luck with the next chapter.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
"You have some fantastic engineers and executives with a vision, but your dealerships are god-awful. Never again."
Nice that your state FORCES you to buy from a dealer. And people think think California is a regulatory nightmare.

Do you think it's possible that lousy service and state created local monopolies might be linked?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
My biggest issue will be tires when I turn over my lease in November. Right now they are 5/32" or 6/32".

I check my paint occasionally with "Dr Colorchip" fixing any rock chips and scratches. https://www.drcolorchip.com/

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The anti-dealership sentiment seems to be contrary to my experience, but I can certainly understand the frustration. I love when something new stirs up the status-quo and makes the entrenched old guys start crying. Tesla certainly wins that award, but it seems that nobody with an affordable vehicle is willing to do that type of sales model. If we need to keep dealerships around in order to have affordable cars, then I guess we're stuck with dealerships. Can you imagine the class-action lawsuit against GM from their dealership network if the Volt were offered factory-direct?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hi Tony,

Thanks for posting . I have 14 months on my US Bank lease left . They wanted to charge me a $10,000 penality for trying to turn in my 2009 CTS a few months early . What car did you replace Thor with ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No Replacement

Thanks for posting . I have 14 months on my US Bank lease left . They wanted to charge me a $10,000 penality for trying to turn in my 2009 CTS a few months early . What car did you replace Thor with ?
I haven't actually replaced the Volt with anything. I don't have an immediate need for two cars - my other remaining car is a 2014 Mazda 6. I would like to get another electric. I think the i3 looks interesting but it's too expensive for what it is and too new. I really like the idea of a a plug in VW Golf or Audi A3 when they ever make it here. I also am looking forward to Volvo's new XC90, which looks like will have a plug-in option.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Stories like this make me glad I bought my car, 3 years ago today. First car I've owned that I still love 3 years after I bought it. Amazing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts