GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same with the battery replacement. Compare apples to apples. A dealer replacement engine and labour will be at least the battery replacement cost for the Volt. If you can DIY an engine swap, why can't you DIY the battery? Car up in the air, disconnect, drain fluids, drop battery, new battery in, connect, fill, update software. There's nothing mysterious about BEV, it's just nuts/bolts/software. Just like an ICE replacement that needs a reflash to pair something like a PCM or BCM.

I know you're not happy. But, you can do it cheaper than the dealer, even if you get a shop to do it for you. Just like an engine swap.
I’ve got the print out from the dealer on how to do the process..and the software is propriety to GM...you just can’t drop and swap and go..
Trust me, I’ve looked into it..
I’d prefer to do it myself...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Part of me wants the Volt to last until 2024 when I can get a 2nd year Lyriq, and part of me wants it to die right now so I can get a Silverado/Sierra or a Subkukonade. And if the 401(k) blossoms, maybe that Lyriq transmogrophies into a Hummer EV.
This vehicle is going to be my son’s to drive to school..
I just don’t want him to have to keep a scanner in the car to clear codes...
I am ordering a Tesla in April...
At least it’s all they do is BEV vehicles ...

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 70k+ Miles
516 Posts
Tesla's can and do have issues with bad cells and the battery will degrade also. Replacing a Tesla battery pack is anything but cheap as well. This isn't a GM issue, it's the current state of battery technology.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
708 Posts
I’ve got the print out from the dealer on how to do the process..and the software is propriety to GM...you just can’t drop and swap and go..
Trust me, I’ve looked into it..
I’d prefer to do it myself...
While the software is proprietary, you can license it and do the reflash yourself. There are threads on here on how to use a VCX nano and a sub to the GM software that you'll need. Or, just do the swap, then take it to the dealer for the reflash.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tesla's can and do have issues with bad cells and the battery will degrade also. Replacing a Tesla battery pack is anything but cheap as well. This isn't a GM issue, it's the current state of battery technology.
Oh I do realize that everything isn’t perfect...
However...Tesla will soon be making their own batteries...
As I’ve previously stated, I know people that develop these batteries...they are typically reliable..in my case the battery itself isn’t bad entirely, but according to the software it’s threshold is the issue...

plus Tesla has way more experience with battery technology than GM does..it’s all they do..
The Volt stuff is not really priority to GM..

·
Registered
13,923 Posts
Which model Tesla are you getting?

·
Registered
13,923 Posts
Congr
Model Y...hatchback like the volt ...
Performance option...
Congrats. I had a reservation for a model 3 but cancelled it 1 month after the reveal as I just didn’t like the car. The model Y just looks like a taller 3 and didn’t change my mind. I kind of liked the X except those falcon wing doors just seem to be more trouble than it’s worth. Someday, maybe I’d get a roadster 2.0, but only when our other vehicular needs are fulfilled and there’s extra money to burn on something fun. Hate the looks of the cyber truck, it seems to be a love it/hate it thing. But hindsight being 20/20 I shouldn’t have let my feelings for the cars affect my decision to not invest in the company...regretting that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congr

Congrats. I had a reservation for a model 3 but cancelled it 1 month after the reveal as I just didn’t like the car. The model Y just looks like a taller 3 and didn’t change my mind. I kind of liked the X except those falcon wing doors just seem to be more trouble than it’s worth. Someday, maybe I’d get a roadster 2.0, but only when our other vehicular needs are fulfilled and there’s extra money to burn on something fun. Hate the looks of the cyber truck, it seems to be a love it/hate it thing. But hindsight being 20/20 I shouldn’t have let my feelings for the cars affect my decision to not invest in the company...regretting that.
I have my $1k that was a reservation about 4 years ago for a model 3 and I chose to wait until the kinks were worked out..
Then the Y came out last year...
I got to do a test drive on one last October..pretty damn cool ..but I’m waiting until April for any improvements that continually happen..
I’ve randomly asked people that I’ve seen driving Teslas and not one has said anything less than it’s the best vehicle they’ve ever owned..
Happy with the car, service and company being involved if they have any issues..
Over the air software updates and fixes...and they opened a company owned service center about an hour from my house.
As you’ve found from my conversation, I keep my vehicles for a long time..so I am hoping the Tesla serves and meets my expectations..
I still love my volt..just wish I didn’t have to deal with the dealer networks for servicing for things I can’t fix myself.
I truly like that Tesla is involved with all aspects of the vehicles they make..including the service part..
April is my target for ordering ..about 5-9 weeks delivery times for the performance version

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I have my $1k that was a reservation about 4 years ago for a model 3 and I chose to wait until the kinks were worked out..
Then the Y came out last year...
I got to do a test drive on one last October..pretty damn cool ..but I’m waiting until April for any improvements that continually happen..

Happy with the car, service and company being involved if they have any issues..
Over the air software updates and fixes...and they opened a company owned service center about an hour from my house.
Are there not going to be any improvements after April?

·
Registered
26 Posts
So just to continue my volt saga..
I contacted Chevy through Twitter from another post about this problem and I have a case # and they are involved..
I sent them the service invoice from 2016 in which I brought the car in for pretty much the exact same thing ..and I was told everything was normal..but they never checked the battery..but they did make a notation in the narrative that GM said the vehicle has reduced propulsion issues when the battery voltage drops below a certain level..the exact language they are using to now say the battery is bad..
BUT, get this..my battery that had only charged to 20 miles since the last software update last year..today charged to 32 miles..since I got it back from the dealer last Friday, my battery range went from 20 to 32. And yet the ICE engine runs mostly 98% of the time...
Unless it’s above a certain temperature...
I’m not entirely convinced the battery is the problem..it might be an issue, but it doesn’t seem like THE issue.
I’d expect a bad battery to not charge, or drain much faster, not have it not be useable at all...
But I will see what Chevy says ..

·
Registered
13,923 Posts
So just to continue my volt saga..
I contacted Chevy through Twitter from another post about this problem and I have a case # and they are involved..
I sent them the service invoice from 2016 in which I brought the car in for pretty much the exact same thing ..and I was told everything was normal..but they never checked the battery..but they did make a notation in the narrative that GM said the vehicle has reduced propulsion issues when the battery voltage drops below a certain level..the exact language they are using to now say the battery is bad..
BUT, get this..my battery that had only charged to 20 miles since the last software update last year..today charged to 32 miles..since I got it back from the dealer last Friday, my battery range went from 20 to 32. And yet the ICE engine runs mostly 98% of the time...
Unless it’s above a certain temperature...
I’m not entirely convinced the battery is the problem..it might be an issue, but it doesn’t seem like THE issue.
I’d expect a bad battery to not charge, or drain much faster, not have it not be useable at all...
But I will see what Chevy says ..
You've had this car for awhile right? ...and understand how range drops when it's cold. What is your ERDTT setting in the configuration menu? Is it set to the high or low value? But if your commute is short, maybe all you see is ERDTT, but if you have a long commute you should get some electric miles from your commute if ERDTT is the culprit. After I got my software update, I don't think I've seen the ERDTT message pop up on the screen though the vehicle is obviously doing it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You've had this car for awhile right? ...and understand how range drops when it's cold. What is your ERDTT setting in the configuration menu? Is it set to the high or low value? But if your commute is short, maybe all you see is ERDTT, but if you have a long commute you should get some electric miles from your commute if ERDTT is the culprit. After I got my software update, I don't think I've seen the ERDTT message pop up on the screen though the vehicle is obviously doing it.
My vehicle has no ERDTT settings..the 2012 volts don’t have a selection like that...
Interesting thing is today was the first time in months that the message saying the engine was running due to temperature showed on my display...
And yet it’s been colder on other days than today..engine running no message about the temperature 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you tried to run MyVoltCapacity application? It gives you hex value of battery capacity as well as Ah and Wh capacity. Useful for logging values from time to time.

I also have 2012 with european SW which includes ERDTT settings and I get these values:

Hex Capacity: 01B2
Ah Capacity: 43.4
Wh Capacity: 14471

Not sure if values depend on SOC or not and at what SOC I took that reading.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you tried to run MyVoltCapacity application? It gives you hex value of battery capacity as well as Ah and Wh capacity. Useful for logging values from time to time.

I also have 2012 with european SW which includes ERDTT settings and I get these values:

Hex Capacity: 01B2
Ah Capacity: 43.4
Wh Capacity: 14471

Not sure if values depend on SOC or not and at what SOC I took that reading.
Where did you get the myvoltcapacity application from? How does it work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Free app on google play and you need obd2 bluetooth adapter which you can buy on ebay for about 10 bucks.
Bonus is you can then also use MyGreenVolt application which is pretty nice. Actually first phone app I paid for in my life. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Free app on google play and you need obd2 bluetooth adapter which you can buy on ebay for about 10 bucks.
Bonus is you can then also use MyGreenVolt application which is pretty nice. Actually first phone app I paid for in my life. :)
So I down loaded the app and it says I need an MX+ obd adaptor

will any obd Bluetooth one work? Or does it have to be an MX+ one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought vgate icar 2 on ebay for $15. Not sure if it's mx+ or not but it's working as expected. The only dowside is you have to turn it on every time.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts