GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in today's article, but thought it would be better in the forum. Has anyone slept in the back hatch area of their Volt? It seems possible. My friend does this in his Subaru.

The seats fold down almost flat, and the 2013 Volt has a removable center console for the back seat. So basically it just depends if there's room, and how comfortable it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have while camping. It was long enough for me being 5'8" but I wouldn't want to be any taller an do it. It would probably be more comfortable to remove the lower back seats then fold down the seat back. I wouldn't plan on doing it again but it was better than the other option of sharing a motorhome with a loud snorer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I haven't slept back there yet, but when checking it out before buying, I folded the back seats down, and climbed in back to try it. I'm 5'10", and occasionally go to the Sierra Nevada mountains here in Calif. for a hiking trip. I'll often head out in the evening and drive to the trail head, and then need to sleep until daylight. It works well where camping isn't permitted, and all I need is a parking spot.

I believe with an air mattress, and sleeping diagonally, it will work ok.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I have slept in the driver seat while stopped at rest stops for several hours. If the rear seat is empty, you can recline way back. The telescoping steering wheel pushes away and up. With two homes, this has become my norm- to catch some hours of shut eye when I get too sleepy to drive further. I can tell you that it is a more comfortable sleep than the equivalent in my Tahoe Hybrid. This doesn't answer your question, but I can tell you that sleeping in your Volt is doable and not half bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Done it a few times, and it was fine for me (6' tall, 200 lbs). Just fold the back seats down, move the front seats up, and a single air mattress fits perfectly (well, it is tight, but it fits).

·
Registered
622 Posts
I didn't realize that so many of you sleep in your Volts. I know that Volts are expensive, but I'm just sayin' ...
You know when you're a kid and if you like something so much, you take it to bed with you and sleep next to it? Well, you can't take your Volt to bed, so you take the bed to your Volt!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sleep

I sleep ever lunch hour every day. I'm 5'10 and I keep a blanket and pillow in the back,fold down 1 seat and it's unbelievably comfortable. I have tried to sleep in the reclining front seat, but you can't "roll over" in the front seats. I work long hours and can always use a power nap. I used to have a full size Chevy Tahoe and the front seats did not recline all the way and even putting down those back seats wasn't as comfortable as my Volt. Bring your hairbrush or you will get back from lunch with pillow head.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
New Jersey Volts should come with that diagram in the hatch area to show the correct positioning and placement for a body in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just got back from a 800-mile trip to Death Valley. Sleeping in the back of the Volt was great -- spared me fighting wind all night like my buddy who slept outside on the ground.

I found that I could remove the cushions of the rear seats, and the backs fold down completely flat! I am 5'10" and sleeping diagonally worked just fine. I used this setup two nights.

800-mile trip in the Volt was really fun!

·
Registered
906 Posts
can you leave your Volt "run" all night for heat / Air cond / Music and not run out of gas?

I have often taken hour or two long power naps on my marathon roadtrips at rest areas.. when I trek from columbus ohio to Miami or Key west i drive it all the way through with no hotel... in regular cars im always afraid to leave it run.. wonder if my naps wil; be nice N comfy if im able to leave my volt "run"?

-Christopher

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
can you leave your Volt "run" all night for heat / Air cond / Music and not run out of gas?
Yes, assuming there's gas in the tank to start with. While parked in hold mode the ICE will cycle on periodically to maintain the SOC. Naturaly, the requency is determined by the load you're putting on the battery- if everything's on it will run more (especially the strip heater and blower). I stopped for a 2 hour nap on a road trip shortly after I got my Volt. It was cold out (for California). I didn't keep track of how often it ran or how much gas it burned but I'd say very roughly the engine seemed to run for about a minute and a half every 15-20 minutes or so with temp set to hi, fan only, seat heater on, everything else off. I'm sure it varies based on how much power is actually being consumed.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got back from a 800-mile trip to Death Valley. Sleeping in the back of the Volt was great -- spared me fighting wind all night like my buddy who slept outside on the ground.

I found that I could remove the cushions of the rear seats, and the backs fold down completely flat! I am 5'10" and sleeping diagonally worked just fine. I used this setup two nights.
800-mile trip in the Volt was really fun!
Awesome! Thanks for the pics. I will have to try this out this summer. Is it easy to remove the seat cushions?

·
8,680 Posts
A typical gas car idles at between 1/4 and 1/2 gallon per hour - which would be 2-5 gallons for a 8-10 hour sleep period. I haven't tested it, but between Joule's comments here and DCFusor's comments on run time when he was running the Volt as a generator in the snow storm, I suspect the Volt's consumption will be much less than that.

I did let an '89 suburban idle all night when I was trying to sleep in a rest area in extreme heat one time, and nothing untoward happened, though I was nervous. With the Volt I wouldn't hesitate - the computers are smart enough to stop it if anything went wrong.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the pics. I will have to try this out this summer. Is it easy to remove the seat cushions?
The seat cushions are stuck down pretty tight with three U-shaped clips that extend down into latch points. They come loose by gripping the bottom of the seat cushion and lifting. To re-engage the clips, I had to use my knee to press the cushion down.

I got an idea last evening -- tried moving the front seats forward and leaning the backs forward. There is then enough room for two people -- diagonal position not required. However, you would need to stuff pillows etc behind the front seats to extend the deck forward in that area. And of course there isn't any room in the front for luggage or anything -- that would need to be outside the car.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Glad you allocated plenty of room for your purse! ;)
Hey! It's a Dopp kit! ...or a "murse" as in "man-purse". At least my pink underwear was hidden. :eek:

Several tips for camping with a Volt:
1. There is a good overhead light setting that shuts off the dome lights when the doors are opened. ...except for the rear hatch light. It takes about 5 minutes before it goes off.
2. If you want to adjust window openings, ignition has to be on. I put the key in a door side pocket, used a hiking pole to press the brake pedal so I could then press the blue power button. Headlights turn on, too. They can be turned off by twisting the turn-signal lever.
3. Opening the driver door causes display screens to light up. I tried to limit using that door.
4. Closing the driver door with key inside cause horn to beep. Annoying in a campground.
___ Edit: removing the battery from the key fob fixes this (it's easy). Just don't lose the battery!
5. On a windy night, inside the car is a great place to sleep. People in tents nearby had bad nights.

I need to figure out how to open the rear hatch from inside. I found the little one-inch hole cover and removed it, but there appears to be a 1/4" square hole inside for a special tool. (I guess I should read the owners manual.) Edit: Made a tool that works. See the next page in this thread.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts