GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"URB-E Commuter is the perfect vehicle for the highly congested urban environment. Its three-wheel trike design allows for added stability and greater lower speed maneuverability, perfect for navigating pedestrian traffic. The two rear wheels also serve as a very stable way to carry around URB-E while in its folded position, similar to pulling a piece of luggage. Although URB-E Commuter is capable of the same speeds as the GP (15mph), it is better suited for slower speed turns."

http://urb-e.com/

Looks like it would fit in the Volt's cargo area.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Interesting concept, although the folding looks a bit inelegant. It would be a great range anxiety eliminator for a leaf owners by adding an extra 20 miles of range or letting them charge at a charging station a few miles away from their destination.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
This can fold better than a regular bike that costs 3000 dollars. As much as I like the a bicycle, the URB-E is cheaper by a long shot, and better.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
URB-E Commuter is the perfect vehicle for the highly congested urban environment. ....]
unless you are a pedestrian who lives or works in said "highly congested urban environment" and are tired of getting bumped into and your toes run over by inconsiderate oafs on powered or pedaled bicycles who think they have the "right of way" all the time.... come to my city some time....

I have been an active "bicycle infrastructure" advocate for many years (you can look it up) and I've almost given up because the largest cause of "anti bike infrastructure" influence comes from the bad actions of the 2 wheel population. Most of us seem to check common courtesy at the curb when we get on the bike....

·
Registered
311 Posts
In the video I believe they said it cost $1,500. It is only a fair weather vehicle, you will need to find an alternative during rain and snow, unless you can stand being soaked.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
unless you are a pedestrian who lives or works in said "highly congested urban environment" and are tired of getting bumped into and your toes run over by inconsiderate oafs on powered or pedaled bicycles who think they have the "right of way" all the time.... come to my city some time....

I have been an active "bicycle infrastructure" advocate for many years (you can look it up) and I've almost given up because the largest cause of "anti bike infrastructure" influence comes from the bad actions of the 2 wheel population. Most of us seem to check common courtesy at the curb when we get on the bike....
We, mostly my wife, have been trying to improve cycling infrastructure in our city too. I agree that too many of the cyclists out there are our and their worst enemy, especially when they are 'navigating pedestrian traffic', which is illegal here. Electrification seems to make them bolder, so we have electric bikes and scooters mixing with heavy vehicles (Brampton is a major transportation hub) on our fast and busy roads.

This is a neat engineering feat but I don't see exactly where it fits into the real world.

BTW I can tell you that a pair of folding bikes (Giant Expressways) fit nicely into the Volt with the seats up. They're not Bromptons but they are perfectly rideable and well-built. If you do it right you can even get them into a smart car.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
In the video I believe they said it cost $1,500. It is only a fair weather vehicle, you will need to find an alternative during rain and snow, unless you can stand being soaked.
$1500 if you want one made in America, $800 if you want one built in a foreign country (I'm guessing China).

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
This can fold better than a regular bike that costs 3000 dollars. As much as I like the a bicycle, the URB-E is cheaper by a long shot, and better.
I would never spend $3K on a bicycle. Alas, I know people who have spent $10-15K on racing bikes similar to what Lance Armstrong rode. I actually got to lift one with only two fingers, it was so light. For me, it's a roof rack and $300 bikes from the local sporting goods store.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,416 Posts
Having owned a Segway and all types of bikes, I had the "pleasure" of trying one of these at last year's National Plug In Day event, and it is an absolutely horrible ride at any price. I couldn't wait to get off of it.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
What the F**K is that?!

Seriously, someone would ride that? Not me.... It looks stupid.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Having owned a Segway and all types of bikes, I had the "pleasure" of trying one of these at last year's National Plug In Day event, and it is an absolutely horrible ride at any price. I couldn't wait to get off of it.
The prosecution rests.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts