GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on some searches and recommendations from crutchfield, I put in some infinity reference speakers last night.

Very easy install and $150 got me 4 speakers with harnesses and other install materials.

I'll have to post back after more listening but my initial impressions are much less bass but much more clarity over all.

I'm considering added the factory bose sub do to its location and using a small class d amp to power it.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
would love some more information on the speakers, ive been looking at infinity kappas myself. please share more info/impressions! What is your review of the product?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will get back with more info on it. Got two sleeping kids in the car with me right now!

I didn't hate the stock set up but it did seem a bit muddy and I can't resist messing with my cars in some way.

I came from what I considered a really nicely balanced stereo I put in my old car so I'm missing a little low end so far with the new speakers. Crutchfield doesn't recommend adding an amp to electric cars, but I've seen others do it here.

I'll probably replace the tweeters soon with some kickers I found so I'll add that info along with any other changes and impressions I can.

If anyone has any small amp suggestions for the stock bose sub please feel free to share!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Since this is Gen1 -- I'm not famliar with it's stock offering. Was there Bose offered on Gen1?

In the past - I've always hated Bose, a few cars I had came with them by default and I always put Boston Acoustic hardware in it's place with a dedicated amp. Maybe it's because I'm getting older or lazier (34yo - lol) but I actually put the Bose option on my 2017 built just because I don't want to mess with tearing apart the car and having to rewire this or that. It's pretty awesome what you can accomplish with a custom setup, always going to be lightyears ahead of Stock anything.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes, there's a Bose option with gen 1's. This is the gen 1 forum. There's also a lot of threads about upgrading the stereo in various ways in the Chevy Volt Accessories and Modifications subforum located just above.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the bose system in my 2012, but I'm not using it for blasting or such. I just run it as flat as I can, at middle volumes. I find that driving it with a high end DAP like the iBasso Dx50 or similar will make a huge difference - the radio/XM/Sirius/CDplayer all sound like crap comparatively.

My teenage daughter really likes it also, but cranks up the bass. Me, I like having the bass and mids right at the center, and pull up the high end 2 notches - that at least gets the high end audible. But, my hearing isn't the greatest - I've been a professional classical musician my whole life, and it's taken it's toll on my ears.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just remembered that I have a slim 8" powered sub and it does fit under the trunk. I don't know if I want to use that or the factory bose set up with a small amp. I would have to find a switched 12v for the one I have. Anyone know where I can tap that?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about posting this in the wrong section. Mods can move it if they want!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered the kicker tweeters, a compact Kenwood amp, and got a factory bose sub from eBay for $38. I'll get everything installed as soon as they come in.

More thoughts on the infinity reference speakers. I really like them. I'd say a small sub is required though since the bottom end is nothing to speak of. They are much louder than the factory speakers too. Much more clear. I am not running an amp to them either. They have are nice and sensitive, I believe 92? That means they are 92 decibels at 1 watt.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Let us know how it sounds when everything is together and working. Would love to know how that tweeter sounds - what model is this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do! I got the Kicker CST20. I had a gift card for Best Buy and they were $50. The total spent on the setup would be around $350 if someone else ended up wanting a similar setup in the end. I guess you'd have to trust my review then!

I will admit that I am not an official "audiophile," so don't expect to hear terms like flat or roll-off in the review.

I am musically inclined though and can easily separate the sounds of instruments, which is something I take note of while listening.

At home I have built a few nice speakers from plans by Paul Carmody. The Overnight Sensations and the Classix II. Highly recommend both of them for anyone interested in a nice little project with amazing results!

·
Registered
258 Posts
The factory Bose sub is all of 1ohm(or was it .5?), so good luck finding an amp that's stable down that far, without severely overpowering the little sub. Once I had it out of the car, I hooked it up briefly to a 50 watt amp. It was fine up until the volume levels you'd be using it at in a moving car, and it started to distort pretty bad.

My car had the Bose audio, and the sub, while not terrible by any means, was a bit lacking. It actually performs quite well, it's weakness is where the darn thing is mounted, or should I say, buried.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There have been others who have done this same thing with results they were happy with.

I have other options if this doesn't work out so I'm not terrified here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered a different amp by kicker that should match the low impedance of the sub better, so I'll send the Kenwood back.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the tweeters in tonight and should be able to get some listening in tomorrow. I literally just came in from doing it. Very easy job. Easier than the door speakers despite needing to hot glue the speaker in place and solder.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The amp came yesterday and the subwoofer should be here today. I'll head out in a few hours and get the amp installed so I can just pop the speaker in when it arrives.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had a lot of time with the install totally completed now and I really like it. The tweeters are more quiet than the factory ones but I like how the cymbals sound with them. The 2 way door speakers added to some of those highs too, so it's a nice balance.

I just put Velcro on the amp and enclosure to keep them together and allow easy removal to adjust settings.

I have the amp gain set to like 2. Very mild, and it fills in very nicely. A setting of 4 or 5 is way too much bass.

Sorry I'm not being very descriptive but it's a really subjective topic, and you may find that you don't like the set up. I'd say if you are looking to upgrade from the base system just start with the door speakers for $150, amp $85, and subwoofer $40, and see what you think. Another $50 for the tweeters.

I'm happy for what $325 got me minus a $50 gift card and $200 in bday funds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts