GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried programming the "new" style Cadillac key fob to the 2016 ELR? The key fobs that come with the current Cadillacs (ATS, CTS, XTS, etc.) are more substantial feeling and nicer looking than the older ones that come with the ELR, so I'm just curious to know if they use the same frequencies and if the "guts" are similar enough to work correctly.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
It may be possible but don't know. When I had an F150 I used one from a Ford car because they were substantially cheaper. They had a trunk button on them that I obviously did not need.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

ELR style key fob on left, new style 2014 and later ATS/CTS/XTS on right

The new style with the metal body feels much more substantial and seems less prone to accidental button pushes. It's a nice upgrade, I'm just trying to determine if the ELR can "learn" the new style fob. If nobody knows offhand, I'll just check with my dealer's parts department to see if they'll allow me to try it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd love to have the new fob. My key keeps coming out, I'm afraid I'll loose the fob part. I've thought about asking for a replacement under warranty. It's really the only problem I have with the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They should be able to replace it under warranty with no problem, I have had mine replaced already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts