GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Volt, and I'm trying to figure out how or if it can be upgraded to 120/240V operation. I've read a lot of forum posts, but I'm seeing conflicting information about the 2015 EVSE:

1. It's a Lear unit with small wires and can't be upgraded. We are all going to catch fire and die.
Thread: 2015 L1 EVSE Disassembly - Newest Version

2. It just needs an adapter plug to do 240V.
Thread: POLL: Did you convert your OEM EVSE to do L1 / L2 charging?

Obviously both of these can't be correct. Surprisingly the EVSE Upgrade site does not have the information I'm looking for. Usually they are my source of information for all things EVSE (I already have a Leaf with an upgrade from them and I love it.) Is there a comprehensive list of Volt EVSEs and how to identify them someplace? Are there two versions of the 2015 EVSE?

The GM part number is for my EVSE is 23446639.

Any ideas? I'm an EE and a veteran EV owner, so bring on the gritty detail.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to modify the Lear unit to 240v operation. Possibly an open Evse may be put in the case, but that really seems unnecessary. Clipper Creek sells really a good level 2 evse for around $379. Or you might be able to get the gen 2 for around $420 at an online fm parts seller.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a 2015 volt and have upgraded the charger to run 22o volts. The charger I have (should be the same as all 2015's) has screws in the back so the unit can be opened. I found a great video on youtube showing how to convert it. You may try some keys words to look for the video like 2015 volt charger upgrade car charger. I performed the upgrade almost 1 year ago and have no problems with the unit since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a 2015 volt and have upgraded the charger to run 22o volts. The charger I have (should be the same as all 2015's) has screws in the back so the unit can be opened. I found a great video on youtube showing how to convert it. You may try some keys words to look for the video like 2015 volt charger upgrade car charger. I performed the upgrade almost 1 year ago and have no problems with the unit since.
It sounds like you have the same Clipper Creek unit as came with the 2013/2014 models. What is the GM part number? Mine has no screws in the back.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have a 2015 Volt, and I'm trying to figure out how or if it can be upgraded to 120/240V operation. I've read a lot of forum posts, but I'm seeing conflicting information about the 2015 EVSE:

1. It's a Lear unit with small wires and can't be upgraded. We are all going to catch fire and die.
Thread: 2015 L1 EVSE Disassembly - Newest Version
If it does not have screws in the back of it you most definitely cannot modify it with the instructions from the 2013 model.

2. It just needs an adapter plug to do 240V.
Thread: POLL: Did you convert your OEM EVSE to do L1 / L2 charging?
There are two different EVSE conversion methods. One for the Gen1 which requires taking apart and modifying the 2013 model. The other is just a plug adapter for the Gen 2 EVSE that comes with the car. Make sure you understand which one you are talking about when on the forum. So both are correct but only for the given version of EVSE.

Obviously both of these can't be correct. Surprisingly the EVSE Upgrade site does not have the information I'm looking for. Usually they are my source of information for all things EVSE (I already have a Leaf with an upgrade from them and I love it.) Is there a comprehensive list of Volt EVSEs and how to identify them someplace? Are there two versions of the 2015 EVSE?

The GM part number is for my EVSE is 23446639.

Any ideas? I'm an EE and a veteran EV owner, so bring on the gritty detail.
As mentioned if you do not have screws in the back you will have to make a purchase or use the 240v EVSE from the Leaf.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts