GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Broadsided at 75mph... after slowing from 115mph... They would never have guessed someone traveling that fast at that time of night when they made that turn... poor family, poor girl who lost her family...

·
Registered
568 Posts
That is absolutely awful. That little sh!t should never drive a car again if he ever gets out of prison.
People like that rarely learn from their mistakes... if you kill three people because of your blatant disregard for human life like this... you should save hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax money and just execute him. (I know some will argue its cheaper to keep them in prison for life... yes only because of our jacked up bureaucratic government, the real cost is about $1 for a bullet, or a solid length of rope)

He's already taken so much from society and innocent people that why should we waste the time/energy/money risking him doing it again?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
As far as I can tell, these are the first fatalities in a Chevy Volt, ever. But not even a Volt can save you from a T-Bone at 75 mph. The Volt didn't really deform that much considering. But the lateral g force must have been nearly instant and incredibly strong.

The kid actually has behaved like a human being after the accident. He was a stupid kid prone to speeding having gotten speeding tickets before, but this time he was just stupid once too often and killed three people. He has apologized profusely, both at the scene and after, but that won't bring the family back. I hope he goes to jail for quite a while, but I hope the girl can forgive him. When I was young I did a lot of stupid stuff, but almost never was anyone hurt and never severely. I hope when the kid gets out of jail he finds some way to contribute to educating kids about the dangers of speeding. But he belongs in jail.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I just finished reading the article. Wow, that was so powerful. That article should simply be read in the courtroom. Terribly sad and tragic.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
As far as I can tell, these are the first fatalities in a Chevy Volt, ever. But not even a Volt can save you from a T-Bone at 75 mph. The Volt didn't really deform that much considering. But the lateral g force must have been nearly instant and incredibly strong.

The kid actually has behaved like a human being after the accident. He was a stupid kid prone to speeding having gotten speeding tickets before, but this time he was just stupid once too often and killed three people. He has apologized profusely, both at the scene and after, but that won't bring the family back. I hope he goes to jail for quite a while, but I hope the girl can forgive him. When I was young I did a lot of stupid stuff, but almost never was anyone hurt and never severely. I hope when the kid gets out of jail he finds some way to contribute to educating kids about the dangers of speeding. But he belongs in jail.
30 years in the slammer ought to give him enough time to change. Rich daddy might get him out a lot quicker, unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
30 years in the slammer ought to give him enough time to change. Rich daddy might get him out a lot quicker, unfortunately.
If I could I would amputate his lead foot!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
My condolences all around...My prediction, he'll be sentenced to 12-15 years and will serve 8-10 years...Like everything in life, there are pros and cons, in this case we live in free country...Most states allow you get your license after but even if they didn't, the dude probably is incapable of learning meaning even if he never gets a license again, he'll find a way to drive...Poor girl but happy to hear to she went to from "life threatening injuries" to laughing and graduating...

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
What a tragedy to ruin a young family. I can't imagine my son was left alone if the rest of us were killed like that.

It is awful as well that the BMW could not avoid or slow down dramatically with front collision alert or whatever BMW calls it.

From this article the lawyer is indicating he was following the law. (The other article I tried to read was behind a wall)

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Three-Killed-in-Crash-on-River-Road-in-Bethesda-370392571.html

A lawyer for Atakoglu expressed his sympathies, but said his client did nothing wrong.
"It is a tragedy, but Mr. Atakoglu was travelling straight, within the speed limit and the other car made a left in front of him," Attorney David Felsen said.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
What a tragedy to ruin a young family. I can't imagine my son was left alone if the rest of us were killed like that.

It is awful as well that the BMW could not avoid or slow down dramatically with front collision alert or whatever BMW calls it.

From this article the lawyer is indicating he was following the law. (The other article I tried to read was behind a wall)

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Three-Killed-in-Crash-on-River-Road-in-Bethesda-370392571.html

So back in February the lawyer was going to claim his client was doing the speed limit. Now that there is evidence pointing to his client doing 115 mph before hitting the family I wonder if he will change his position?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That's an old article published immediately after the crash, and of course the lawyer's job is to deny everything. But more recent coverage reports that the driver (and his lawyer) has admitted responsibility:
Atakoglu agreed to the plea ahead of anticipated indictments, according to court records. “He wants to take responsibility,” said his attorney, David Felsen. “He has been profoundly distraught since the moment this happened.”

Atakoglu, who has a prior conviction for negligent driving and speeding, was sober and wasn’t racing. He tried to avoid the crash, hitting the brakes, but struck the Volt at about 75 mph.

By pleading guilty to vehicular manslaughter, he is admitting that his speed alone was a form of gross negligence.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's nice to hear that the defendant is "profoundly distraught." However, I get the feeling that unless he is removed from society he will most probably do it again. I agree with Bacardi that he'll no doubt serve just 8-10 years. The question is what will happen then? Will we be looking at a repeat of this? Whether he'll be allowed to get his license again or not, that won't necessarily prevent him from driving again. And that's the problem with every robber, thug, and murderer who is temporarily incarcerated.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
It's nice to hear that the defendant is "profoundly distraught." However, I get the feeling that unless he is removed from society he will most probably do it again. I agree with Bacardi that he'll no doubt serve just 8-10 years. The question is what will happen then? Will we be looking at a repeat of this? Whether he'll be allowed to get his license again or not, that won't necessarily prevent him from driving again. And that's the problem with every robber, thug, and murderer who is temporarily incarcerated.
He is expressing how "profoundly distraught" he is because his lawyer is telling him there is no way he is going to escape prison time based off what was discovered in the investigation. So instead of trying to claim innocence, the lawyer has decided it is best to start playing the "super regretful, terrible tragedy, very distraught" card so that come sentencing time, the judge may be a little more lenient and give him a reduced sentence.

I hope the judge sees through the act and throws the book at this scumbag. 30 years in **** you up in the @ss prison should evoke some change.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Whether he'll be allowed to get his license again or not, that won't necessarily prevent him from driving again. And that's the problem with every robber, thug, and murderer who is temporarily incarcerated.
Well, this guy has a history of doing this kind of thing, so I think he's blown most of his chances for sympathy. But in general I think that we all deserve a second chance if we do something stupid.

·
Registered
677 Posts
He already had a number of driving convictions on his record... Hopefully, they will lock him up for a very long time!

That is absolutely awful. That little sh!t should never drive a car again if he ever gets out of prison.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts