GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I know as of the date of this post:

Yakima does not make any roof rack for the Volt.

Thule has suspended production of its fit kit (Kit 1647) for the Volt due to problems with the rear connector, and most dealers no longer carry Kit 1647. I was able to find the Kit at etrailer.com but could not purchase it from rackattack or rack-it (even though their websites made it appear they had it in stock). I understand that Thule is testing the mold and expects to be back in production in a couple of months.

Rack-it carries a rack that is made by Rhino-Rack which I am told fits the Volt. It is aluminum and plastic, per the Rack-it people, so it may have an advantage in not being susceptible to rust. This may be your best bet if you cannot wait for Thule to resume production or find a Fit Kit 1647 (I found mine by doing an internet search and then calling around).

Hope this helps to all who need an overhead rack for their activities.

·
Administrator
22,794 Posts
Thanks for the update Hivolt007. IF I were to want one, I'd rather wait until they fixed whatever the misfitting issue was. So I really see your info more as a warning not to buy the model being replaced. I have a Thule rack on another car, they are well made.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I know my dealer had one on their Volt in their showroom (roof rack-ability is often a requirement in Colorado). Unfortunately, I don't remember what brand it was off hand b/c i haven't gotten one for my Volt (yet). Feel free to call them for advice, Mike at Medved, Denver.

·
Registered
98 Posts
While not a roof rack, I did install the Curt receiver hitch along with a hitchmounted bike rack on my Volt last week. Works great and I don't have to fret about scratching my Volt or any aero drag issues when I'm not using the bike rack. The hitch does add 35 lbs of fixed weight though.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've been considering one but can't see how I could put skis on a rack or in a long box on the roof without it interfering with the hatch. I already have Thule crossbars and racks from my other cars so all I need is the feet.

Please keep us updated on the issues. If anyone has pictures of a Volt with skis or a box on the roof and the hatch open I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a further update as of 1-26-13. My dealer John at Go Bananas Kayaks and I tried the Thule fit kit. The front clips did not hold the rack and kept slipping off, but the back clips worked for the front bars (and felt really solid). John is trying to see if he can find 1-1/4" longer clips for the back rack. If this does not work the alternatives are to try a rhino rack ( available at other online sites) or to drill as suggested by Nick at Thule. Nick also doesn't think the Rhino rack will work (It sounds like Thule might have tested it). For the interim I am using foam pads.

Here is Nick's last post:

John,
The longer bracket in the front will fail. Longer is worse in this case. Have someone put 150-200LBS of compression on the current bracket and one that is 1/8-1/4" longer - and then pull on both.
The current bracket will stay in place. A longer bracket will come off. This is what I do man. This is how I make my bread.

I get where you're coming from - I've been there, and I'm there many more times then I'd like to be - but I can't recommend anything.
But the bottom line is that I'm already not happy with the fit - I've seen the changes we can make to change it - and it doesn't make much of a difference.

If you want to make it work - drill a hole in the bnottom blade of the front bracket, install the rack, and run a sheet metal screw into the doorframe with some silicone.
That's the only way it's going to work 100% of the time.
The longer bracket in the front will fail. Longer is worse in this case. Have someone put 150-200LBS of compression on the current bracket and one that is 1/8-1/4" longer - and then pull on both.
The current bracket will stay in place. A longer bracket will come off. This is what I do man. This is how I make my bread.

I get where you're coming from - I've been there, and I'm there many more times then I'd like to be - but I can't recommend anything.
But the bottom line is that I'm already not happy with the fit - I've seen the changes we can make to change it - and it doesn't make much of a difference.

If you want to make it work - drill a hole in the bnottom blade of the front bracket, install the rack, and run a sheet metal screw into the doorframe with some silicone.
That's the only way it's going to work 100% of the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cheverolet Volt 2013 Thule 1647 Roof Rack

Hello, I too was drawn to this forum because I am trying to purchase a roof rack for my 2013 Volt to carry my kayak.

I am leaning towards Thule’s AeroBlade and Hullivator setup but as you know Thule has discontinued the 1647 fit kit for whatever reason (my local Thule dealer called Thule and this was confirmed).

Yes, the rack will decrease fuel efficiency but my kayak will not float very well if I cut it in half so that I can fit it inside and I think the AeroBlade by Thule is a great option.

If I want to get out on the water as soon as the ice goes out I am thinking about a bolt on rig. I will need to go through my Volt dealer for this as I don’t want to puncture any airbags.
What I did find in my research is that the Mazda 3 comes with factory installed anchor points located within the expansion seal that runs from the windshield to rear window. The car comes with 4 cover plates installed from the factory and you just remove them to expose the bolt hole and I imagine you can remove the roof rack and reinstall the cover plates if you won’t be using your rack for awhile.

I did call my Volt Advisor today and he was not aware of any anchor points under the current seal. My Volt Advisors suggestion was to call my dealer which I will but I can't believe that they will be very experienced in roof rack installation on a 2013 Volt.

I think this is a great feature that would not increase the cost of the car that much. I make the suggestion knowing that it will not benefit any 11, 12, 13 Volt owners. I just wanted to make you all aware of what Mazda was doing.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f... 2010 hatchback/MazdaRoofRackCoverRemoved.jpg

3/11/2013 - Thanks for the pics nater. I think I will end up with the Rhino-Rack 2500 with Aero crossbars and Thule Hullivator. Need to find out if 46" is long enough for the crossbars. the Hullivator requires 4 to 8 inches past the foot. Also not sure if I can use a T-nut in the C-channel to mount the Hullivator to the Aero crossbars.

6/19/2013 - Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 100% Rhino-Rack from Etrailer.com, in my correspondence with Etrailer.com they felt that the Thule Hullivator would not work with the Rhino-Rack roof rack "I did look up the Rhino Rack and the Hullavator for your vehicle. The Hullavator does state that it requires a minimum cross bar spread of 31". The Rhino Rack has only a cross bar spread of 27.56. I apologize, it appears that will not work with the Volt". I ended up with the Aero 2500 and the Nautic 580 side-load kayak rack. See pictures after the jump.

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/KROENIN13/media/P6140670_zps03de060c.jpg.html

Thanks nater and Etrailer.com for your help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also have been looking at the roof rack option, and will wait for Thule's solution. I have been hoping to find out that Oris is making racks for them (Opel, etc) in Europe, but haven't been able to find out yet. I emailed Oris, but as of today had not heard back.

For those that don't recognize the Oris name, they make very high quality, visually appealing racks -IMHO- and they are the OEM for Mercedes Benz, BMW, and I believe Volvo. I also think they are still doing the OEM for some Chrysler products. Of course, since I still have a pair of MB bike racks, it would let me reuse those as well...maybe with a little bow-tie or volt sticker. But...it seems not to be. :(

Yes, I know lots of people ask "you have this amazing fuel efficient vehicle, and you want to stick a big source of draft on top of it?" Well....yes. But only for a few trips a year.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I bought the Rhino, and it's fantastic. Sits nice and level on the car, the fit kit is highly specific for the Volt; it dips nicely into the rain channels. Comes in Thule-bar style, heavy duty square, and Aero. I bought the Thule-style and then used the Thule-to-Yakima adapter to mount my yakima ski stuff.

By the way, I called Yakima repeatedly about this, the product director got back to me and told me the Volt is permanantly off of their to-do list since GM discontinued them last October. :p

Here's a link on etrailer:

http://www.etrailer.com/roof-2013_Chevrolet_Volt.htm?style=&furl=-pm-Rhino_Rack

Note that it says locks are included, but they are not included and are not available from etrailer:

http://www.rhinorack.com/AccSubCategory_Locks_Page_1_Accessory_Lock-kit_393_64.aspx

Note also that if you are a Yakima freak like me and have a ton of Yakima stuff, and want your keys to match, it appears these lock cylinders can have their tumblers rearranged by a locksmith to match your existing Yakima key. I'll report back on this after I get it done.

Just FYI, I have loaded a PowderHound and a Big PowderHound with five pairs of skis and a massive wide 164 CM snowboard and driven 85 MPH and the thing hasn't budged.

Nate

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought the Rhino, and it's fantastic. Sits nice and level on the car, the fit kit is highly specific for the Volt; it dips nicely into the rain channels.
Nate
That looks nice. Any chance of pics with it mounted on your car when you get time, If the adapt to Yakima, I know Yakima basic rack would take the Oris, so it might be a workable path. The "aero" actually looks a lot like the Oris bars anyway. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
That looks nice. Any chance of pics with it mounted on your car when you get time, If the adapt to Yakima, I know Yakima basic rack would take the Oris, so it might be a workable path. The "aero" actually looks a lot like the Oris bars anyway. Thanks!
agreed - I'd like to see some closeups of the fit kit.

If one already has thule (rectangular-ish) bars, can I just buy the fit kit or do I have to buy the whole thing? It wasn't clear from their site if the bars were really separate...

·
Registered
287 Posts
For attaching to Yakima, you have a few options: For vertical, you need these snaparounds: (cut the tabs out)

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/yakima-universal-snar-with-hardware.asp

Or you can buy the old 4V mighty mounts used on ebay.

For horizontal, you need these snaparounds: (Again, cut the tabs)
http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/yakima-universal-snar-snap-arounds.asp

or find the mighty mount 4h used on ebay or otherwise.

If you buy the aerobars, don't ask me how to securely mount yakima things. The yakima universal mighty mounts don't lock.

Nate

·
Registered
287 Posts
FYI, Amazon has the 4H and 4V mounts in stock.

Also note in my photos that I have a BigPowderHound on the left that is mounted straight to the bar, and on the right I have a standard PowderHound mounted with a ski lifter, so yes, it is angled up a bit right there.

Nate

·
Registered
92 Posts
Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Roof rack Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet volt Motor vehicle
Automotive exterior Vehicle Roof rack Automotive carrying rack Auto part
Vehicle Car Family car Subcompact car Sport utility vehicle
I've got the Thule rack with the discontinued fit kit. (Got it last year before it was discontinued.) I have the Aeroblade 53s with the 480R Foot and 518 Echelon Bike racks (as well as the 92725 Universal Flat Top ski rack). Finally got a chance to use it last week, so I took some pictures. If you're just a little bit careful holding the front clip in place as you tighten it, I found that it holds just fine. I can reef on it all I want, and it isn't going anywhere.

As far as interference with the hatch, yes there is some. Meaning that the hatch will not open all the way without hitting the ends of the bike racks. Fortunately, the ends of the racks have a plastic piece on them that keeps them from scratching your rear window. (I use to remember to use a towel with the old Yakima racks I had on my Toyota Celica hatchback.

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
1 Posts
For my case, I've used Inno rack and it work perfectly. I made about 200km (125miles) with a Cascade Thule box this summer and didn't have any problems.
Still the same problem with the cargo box blocking the hatch to open entirely.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sent this as a PM but if anyone else can answer.

Hi there, I saw your pictures of the Volt Roof Rack. I am not very knowledgeable on these thing.

Is this removable (the rack) or do you keep it attached all the time ?

Is it easy to install yourself ?

Do you own or lease. Any issues if I lease do you think ?

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hard to believe there are not more Roof Rack solutions for the Volt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.