GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week vin #126 went in for a check engine light issue that had existed for over 2 months. The car was running fine and since I use the engine so little it was not a priority.

I took it to Fox Chevrolet in Baltimore. I had one other service experience 8 months ago that was uneventful. This experience; however, took a different twist. The repair of the check engine light required the replacement of the EMC (referred to as the Powertrain Control Module; its odd that that acronym does not match). After installing the new unit, the check engine light was still on; however, a software update cleared up the issue. This was a 4 day event.

I picked up the Volt this morning filled with optimism that the $22. in gas I had spent on the GM provided rental was the worse part of the experience. When I returned to the office to plug in my Clipper Creek 240V charger (that I had learned about on this forum) it was missing. I searched the car twice, but the charger was AWOL. I did not think that it was stolen since its $1000 purchase price would appeal to a very limited and more importantly an unknowing market.

I returned to the dealer and spoke to the service manager who immediately inquired as to the tech that had worked on the car. In a few minutes, Jessie the tech, appeared and told that he had to “confiscate all the chargers in the car since they were under a GM recall”. He then informed me that all recalled items were “destroyed” before returning them their earthly remains to GM. I attempted to educate Jessie that the Clipper Creek charger was an after market unit that GM bore no responsibility. That fact did not sink in immediately, until I turned to the previously silent service manager and educated him that the Clipper unit value was $1,000. The manager then instructed Jessie to see what they could find of the Clipper Creek unit. Five minutes passed and they emerged with a plastic bag containing the remains of the Clipper unit. After a quick look at the remains, the unit was intact except for the 240V plug that was severed from the unit. Fortunately, Jessie was not all that through in his following orders to “destroy” recalled items before returning them to GM.

After 15 minutes back at the office I had reattached the plug to the remaining portion of the Clipper unit and it was back on-line providing 240V power to the Volt.

It will be a long time before I take the Volt to any dealer for “non-essential” repairs. It’s a reminder that blind obedience to instructions from superiors is a dangerous mindset.

·
Registered
867 Posts
What a ding dong. He was suppose to confiscate the 110 Voltec Charger that came with the car, clip the short orange cord (not destroy it) and replace with a new 110 Voltec charger with a short black cord.

I have a feeling they send the 110 short orange cord chargers to the factory and the factory replaces the cut cord with a new black (heavy duty) charge cord.

I would have been spitting nails.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Frankly, that crosses the line. Miniimaly the dealer authorized removal of your personal property from the car with the intent to destroy it (not return it) without your consent or notification. Was any type of replacement provided?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Wow, at least the tech didn't find your dog back there! Seems like an honest mistake but (a) he didn't recognize that he was looking at something other than the Voltec charger and (b) he was supposed to replace the "confiscated" one.

Glad to see your sense of humor is intact!

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Our family rule is, you borrow a tool and break it, you replace it with a new tool and get to keep the one you broke. That's how I ended up with a "new" 4 year old leaf blower after I cut the power cord accidentally! So I have the patched up blower and a family member has a brand new blower, haha.

The dealer "borrowed" your EVSE and broke it, even if the intentions were good. I would expect the plug was connected to the cord via a molded-in-place waterproof strain relief. Both are now rendered useless, no?

P.S. I took my EVSE out of my car before having it serviced. It would have taken me a few weeks to discover mine missing and by then no one knows anything about where it went.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frankly, that crosses the line. Miniimaly the dealer authorized removal of your personal property from the car with the intent to destroy it (not return it) without your consent or notification. Was any type of replacement provided?

jkirk - My priority after seeing the Clipper Creek unit in Jessie's hands was to retrieve it, examine it and then leave as quickly as possible. For those that are not familiar with what the Clipper looks like, I've attached a file of the "destroyed" unit. Again, fortunately, armed with a screwdriver I just reattached the plug to the remaining extension coming out of the unit. There is nothing that any dealer representative could have said to me that would have made me feel better about their competency or trustworthiness. That was all out the window.

Strangely, my first thought after viewing the minimal damage is I was glad that the approach of our troops during the Normandy invasion in June, 1944 was not the same as Jessie's.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, at least the tech didn't find your dog back there! Seems like an honest mistake but (a) he didn't recognize that he was looking at something other than the Voltec charger and (b) he was supposed to replace the "confiscated" one.

Glad to see your sense of humor is intact!
My 5 lb poodle, Duke, would not have gone with him without a struggle.

Vin #126 Delivered 12/18/2011

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My first reaction would be to call the local police or Sheriff (Right in front of them...) to report stollen items from your car... and watch how fast that Clipper Creek EVSE showed up. Then you can report them for vandalizing your property. Just let the police know you need to file a police report about the theft/vandalism in order to get your insurance to cover your loss claim.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My first reaction would be to call the local police or Sheriff (Right in front of them...) to report stollen items from your car... and watch how fast that Clipper Creek EVSE showed up. Then you can report them for vandalizing your property. Just let the police know you need to file a police report about the theft/vandalism in order to get your insurance to cover your loss claim.
I agree with this post. Call the police and file a report.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The customer satisfaction campaign instructions, did in fact instruct the technician to REPLACE the original 120V EVSE supplied with the Volt (and located int he rear storage area), with the 2nd design unit AND to cut the cord on the original (renedering it non-operational , the words "destroy" are not really in the instructions) before filing it away for return to GM. Did they not inform you they were performing this campaign? Was it not on your copy of the repaor order?

In this case it appears to me the tech wasnt familiar with the Clipper Creek unit, assumed it was the OEM, and completed the campaign as instructed with what he found in it's place. An honest mistake IMO, (as demonstrated by following through with the "severing" treatment it received) and reveals nothing more than a lack of experience.

I suggest you call your Volt Advisor and report the incident and take it up with GM via the customer satisfaction hotline. At the very least they should look at either replacing your Clipper Creek or at the very least have it sent back to Clipper Creek for a "factory authorized" type repair. ( and the length of severed cable returned to factory length)

What you didnt mention however is IF they also provided you with an NEW (Rev2) 120V EVSE (as they werre instructed) AND where is the original 120V EVSE you received with the car?

WopOnTour

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The customer satisfaction campaign instructions, did in fact instruct the technician to REPLACE the original 120V EVSE supplied with the Volt (and located int he rear storage area), with the 2nd design unit AND to cut the cord on the original (renedering it non-operational , the words "destroy" are not really in the instructions) before filing it away for return to GM. Did they not inform you they were performing this campaign? Was it not on your copy of the repaor order?

In this case it appears to me the tech wasnt familiar with the Clipper Creek unit, assumed it was the OEM, and completed the campaign as instructed with what he found in it's place. An honest mistake IMO, (as demonstrated by following through with the "severing" treatment it received) and reveals nothing more than a lack of experience.

I suggest you call your Volt Advisor and report the incident and take it up with GM via the customer satisfaction hotline. At the very least they should look at either replacing your Clipper Creek or at the very least have it sent back to Clipper Creek for a "factory authorized" type repair. ( and the length of severed cable returned to factory length)

What you didnt mention however is IF they also provided you with an NEW (Rev2) 120V EVSE (as they werre instructed) AND where is the original 120V EVSE you received with the car?

WopOnTour
There were two EVSE's in the car, one GM 120v and the Clipper unit. They are distinctive, but that was not a relevant point to Jessie since his instructions were to "remove all" EVSE's in the vehicle. The service order i did state that a recall #11188 for charge cords was completed. It listed two. The 120 v unit is currently in the car; however, I have not inspected it.

Vin #126 12/18/11 Delivered

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My son-in-law had the same reaction. This did not occur to me. My focus was on recovery and escape! My thought was to just write a letter to the General Manager of Fox Chevrolet in Baltimore with a cc to the Volt Advisor.

Vin # 126 Delivered 12/18/2011

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That seems like an excessive reaction for the situation. It doesn't like like either the service manager nor the technician were belligerent or didn't own up to the mistake. I suspect the service manager would have been (or would be) willing to cover whatever repair costs - or even replacement, if repair was not possible. At a minimum, there's no evidence to suggest that he wasn't willing to make the situation right.

Hanlon's Razor - "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

3,600 Posts
My son-in-law had the same reaction. This did not occur to me. My focus was on recovery and escape! My thought was to just write a letter to the General Manager of Fox Chevrolet in Baltimore with a cc to the Volt Advisor.

Vin # 126 Delivered 12/18/2011
Good Afternoon Cjohn1,

I apologize you had to experience this! If you could please PM me your contact information and last eight of your VIN. I would like to look into this for you. Again I apologize about the experience.
Thank you

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Good Afternoon Cjohn1,

I apologize you had to experience this! If you could please PM me your contact information and last eight of your VIN. I would like to look into this for you. Again I apologize about the experience.
Thank you

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service
Gee, I wonder why Volt won the highest-customer-satisfaction award for two years running...

:p

Just FYI, you guys are awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
That seems like an excessive reaction for the situation. It doesn't like like either the service manager nor the technician were belligerent or didn't own up to the mistake.

Hanlon's Razor - "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
Perhaps I misunderstood the post. I thought the service department manager was refusing to replace the Clipper Creek charger. I was only suggesting calling police if they were being difficult.

I once had an experience with a hotel where I accidentally left my laptop computer in the room on the way to the front desk to check out. I asked to go back and get the laptop. They said they would send the maid to look. After waiting for 15 minutes they claimed no laptop computer was in the room. (I knew this was BS.) When I told them I was calling the police to file a police report the laptop computer magically appeared back in the room and they brought it to the front desk. I ended up missing my flight.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I agree with you, cjohn1. Better be safe than sorry.

I also heard about a sarcastic comment on the same theme:
In China, they limit their population growth by the one child per couple policy.
In USA, they limit their population growth by unlimited gun access...

Francois
B2653

1 - 18 of 18 Posts