GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was down south (for me at least) in Winona, MN. I saw across the river in Sparta, WI a Chevy Dealer had four 2017 Chevrolet Volts and one 2018 Chevrolet Volt for sale all under 25K. Low miles and one in particular is 20k is loaded Primer with the Driver Confidence pkg that gives you all the safety goodies you can imagine.

Ran the VIN on car-fax and all of the vehicles are Manufacture Buybacks, 4 in CA and one in MI. I noticed they seemed to frequent the service dept every 1000 miles or so. There is absolutely nothing on their website nor on the sticker that indicates they are buybacks. Being sold by a Chevrolet Dealership. None are CPO. However original warranties still exist.

Anyone's experiences with buybacks?
What's your thoughts on this?

edit: Thanks for all your replies!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Sometimes it's 'Customer Satisfaction' for the buy back and not because of going the Lemon Law route.
You can ask a Chevy Service Writer to print out all the service history on a car.

I had a car 'bought back' by Chevy.
And then I bought a car to replace it with one that was a Chevy 'Buy Back' in Cali, then trucked across the country after being bought at a wholesale auction. I bought it from a midwest Chevy dealer that buys these by the truckload.
It had the Full original warranty and it has been flawless for 43k miles.

Check with your insurance company and your bank if you are going to finance just to make sure they are OK with a 'Branded Title', if that is the case with these cars.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
If I were going to buy one I'd ask the dealer to provide me with their GMVIS report. Armed with that you'll have a clear picture of what service/repairs were done to that vehicle.

As a member of the Corvette Forum there were several sponsoring dealerships that would run one for a member looking to buy a used vette, all you need is the VIN.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies. I didn't think of the Insurance!!! I suppose if I financed that might be an issue as well. I usually provide my own funds, but good to know!

"Tainted" Title is different than a Salvage title, correct?

Also good to know about running that VIN!

Thanks for your replies! Appreciate it. I talked to a Sales rep and they said that the State of WI doesn't require a disclosure? Wisconsinites, is this true?

The outfit is Brenengen's and apparently they are a WI regional dealership franchise. Any experience? Appreciate the feedback my fellow enthusiasts.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Get the VIN's of the cars you are interested.
Then go to a different Chevy dealership with a dozen QUALITY donuts some morning and ask with a smile if they have the time to print out a few pages on a few cars you are looking at.

Keep it short and sweet. They don't need to hear your life story.

The dealership selling the cars should not be listened to.

You do know how to tell if a car salesman is lying, correct?

It is definitely different as no accident happened to the car, only some finance and insurances may still balk .

Man, my pc still won't let me do emojis or 'advanced reply'.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,

Just one more bit of information for you that I found out about the hard way. Be sure to ask about the vehicle "in service" date. Why? Because that is when the Warranty starts, not from the day you purchased it.

skol

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
While they may not tell you your insurance company may be interested. You might want to inform them as part of due diligence before purchase and see if they have anything to say.

The reason they are being sold at a good discount? They are not new cars and therefore not eligible for the Fed tax credit and they are there for enough of a reason that GM bought them back. You're not buying a virgin car and you are taking risks. They are not discounting them to be nice.

·
Administrator
20,431 Posts
Yes, add the $7500 tax credit back on the price to see what they are charging for these. $25k+$7.5k=$32.5K for example. You may be able to get a better deal than that on a new Volt, and collect the $7500 tax credit on your 2018 tax return.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Driver how did this turn out? I'm another guy in Wisconsin looking to buy a 2017 model with 9.4k miles on it from the same dealer, Brenengen, it is also a factory buy back from Cali, wouild you recommend going for it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts