GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
For a 16.5 battery you should expect ~83.53 through ~18.88 as a standard full to empty (gas pump icon appears) range.
It can go a bit higher than 83.5 through the small overcharging buffer. It can also switch over a little higher than 18.88, most often 19.22 from what I've observed.

This number is also not very precise - 0.4% increments.
So I wouldn't read much into a very small change in SOC% as the margin of error is huge.
e.g. "2% SOC gained" could really be 1.6 - 2.4% (or a 20% difference from the original number)

Over a larger range, say 20%, the margin of error is much less important - 19.8-20.2%

The number is also constantly recalculated, so if you want the most accurate values you need to do a starting reading after letting it sit for a couple hours, do your charge, and then let it sit for a couple hours again before taking an ending reading.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
now im curious on my low side, the actual number
Your numbers are for 18.4kWh (2016) battery, which is a whole other beast. The numbers I quoted and OP are for 16.5kWh battery (2013-2014)

IIRC 15% is the hard minimum for all model years (it will start the engine long before this)
I believe the charge window is about the same on the lower end for 2016, it just charges up a bit more on the higher end to make up the extra capacity %.
e.g. 92% - 18% usable vs 83-18%
I have not had the opportunity to measure one personally. That is just my estimation.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Are the CAN numbers different than what is reported over OBD? Perhaps a filter is applied to make them 'real' at some point?
Because what I've seen on OBD is exactly correct. If charging 120V/12A, that's what I see under charger amps in and charger voltage in.
And charge rate is ~1100-1200 or so (75-85% efficient on L1)

Part of the issue might also be you taking time multipled by max charge rate as a fixed calculation - that's not how it works.
It's only max charge rate from 0-80% (90%?) or so, then tapers off.
On L1 this taper takes quite a while whereas in L2 the taper is only the last 15-20 mins or so.
Look for the Wh last charge value - it's reported in OBD so it should be there directly in the CAN as well.
That will tell you total energy used vs total expected to give you efficiency. Should be about 13kWh per 10kWh for L1.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.